The Student Room Group

Would you rather be supersized or superskinny?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by EffieFlowers
Do you really think she meant that? Or do you think you're being a bit over literal?

And if you going to so literal then people with thyroid problems can find it near impossible to gain weight, there's one example. Happy? :tongue:

Well, the person who said it seems to be pretty dense (and is a troll anyway) from his other post, so yes.

I never said that there's no one who can't gain weight or muscle, I said that there's no evidence that "most skinny people" can't gain weight or muscle.
Original post by rlw31
Depends entirely on the person.

Thing is, it doesn't, not unless you've been diagnosed with Prada Willie syndrome or a thyroid problem. The majority of overweight people are overweight because they simply do not know how to eat correctly, they've never been taught good nutrition. Give them knowledge about the nutritional content of their meals and how often they should be eating etc, and they would lose weight very easily.

I've heard women who worked in my college talking about how they only eat 1 meal a day in the evening as it's better than 3 meals a day, then they wonder why they are fat. :rolleyes:

When you're underweight, you can have all the information in the world, but eating through a pain barrier is immensely difficult. And I've been on both sides of this debate so I know for myself which is more difficult.
Superskinny. Used to be fat and got bullied a lot.
Reply 43
Original post by Wilfred Little
Thing is, it doesn't, not unless you've been diagnosed with Prada Willie syndrome or a thyroid problem. The majority of overweight people are overweight because they simply do not know how to eat correctly, they've never been taught good nutrition. Give them knowledge about the nutritional content of their meals and how often they should be eating etc, and they would lose weight very easily.

I've heard women who worked in my college talking about how they only eat 1 meal a day in the evening as it's better than 3 meals a day, then they wonder why they are fat. :rolleyes:

When you're underweight, you can have all the information in the world, but eating through a pain barrier is immensely difficult. And I've been on both sides of this debate so I know for myself which is more difficult.

I can say exactly the same for skinny people who eat **** all :rolleyes:

Lol at you thinking that eating one meal a day in the evening is the reason for someone being overweight, as opposed to the fact that that person is simply consuming too many calories :facepalm:

Why do you assume that every skinny person has to eat through a pain barrier? Why are you using your personal experience as a standard for everyone? Just because you found it more difficult to gain weight doesn't mean everyone will.
superskinny and wear baggy clothes
Original post by Dr.Kweks waszabi
:confused:So I'm sure most of you have heard of the well known TV show "Supersize vs Superskinny" well it got me thinking!
Would you rather be supersized or superskinny is one unhealthier than the other?
I personally would be superskinny .

Also why is it that being superskinny is more accepted in the society than being supersized neither are healthy or good but is it due to people in the public eye?
As well as this please can you state the advantages of being either . I'm quite curious to find out what they are.
:smile:

Very interesting topic BTW.

I don't need to say what i rather be lol.

Im skinny enough as it is. :s-smilie:
i guess society in general likes to get along with people of there girth and people who can do the same activity's like themselves e.g play football, go out partying etc etc.That can be quite difficult for a supersized person. Therefore there more likely to get individualised for not who they are but on how they look.

Very sad if you ask me.
Original post by rlw31
I can say exactly the same for skinny people who eat **** all :rolleyes:

:confused:

Did you miss this bit?

Original post by rlw31
When you're underweight, you can have all the information in the world, but eating through a pain barrier is immensely difficult.

Original post by rlw31
Lol at you thinking that eating one meal a day in the evening is the reason for someone being overweight, as opposed to the fact that that person is simply consuming too many calories :facepalm:

And lol @ you assuming I'm saying every overweight person is overweight because they eat 1 meal a day in the evening. That is just one reason, actually and was given as an example of how they think they are doing the right thing, when they are not, the crux of being overweight is poor nutritional knowledge. Other examples include thinking you can drink orange juice instead of coke despite the fact orange juice is full of sugar, drinking alcohol around the time you eat is another one, there are loads of things like this people do when trying to lose weight that actually causes them to gain weight.

Original post by rlw31
Why do you assume that every skinny person has to eat through a pain barrier? Why are you using your personal experience as a standard for everyone? Just because you found it more difficult to gain weight doesn't mean everyone will.

Because that's what happens, duh.

If you're eating as much as you can and you're not gaining weight, what do you do next? Go on a bodybuilding forum and look at the amount of food people eat then compare it to what a skinny person would consume, it's not the same. You have to train your body to be able to consume that amount of food.
Reply 47

And lol @ you assuming I'm saying every overweight person is overweight because they eat 1 meal a day in the evening. That is just one reason, actually and was given as an example of how they think they are doing the right thing, when they are not, the crux of being overweight is poor nutritional knowledge. Other examples include thinking you can drink orange juice instead of coke despite the fact orange juice is full of sugar, drinking alcohol around the time you eat is another one, there are loads of things like this people do when trying to lose weight that actually causes them to gain weight.

My issue was that you seem to think the time of day and number of meals per day was the reason for a person being overweight as opposed to simply the number of calories consumed.

Because that's what happens, duh.

If you're eating as much as you can and you're not gaining weight, what do you do next? Go on a bodybuilding forum and look at the amount of food people eat then compare it to what a skinny person would consume, it's not the same. You have to train your body to be able to consume that amount of food.

It can be difficult to eat more than you're used to, but it's not physically painful for everyone :rolleyes:
Original post by rlw31
My issue was that you seem to think the time of day and number of meals per day was the reason for a person being overweight as opposed to simply the number of calories consumed.

It is easier to decrease your calorie intake than it is to increase it (with good food) when your stomach is already full, which is what you have to do when you are underweight.

Original post by rlw31
It can be difficult to eat more than you're used to, but it's not physically painful for everyone :rolleyes:

Says who?

You're saying it's not physically painful to eat another plate of food after you've just had a three course meal? Cos that's how you will feel when you're trying to gain weight after being used to eating normally* for x amount of time.

*Normal as in, relative to what you would normally eat as an underweight person not trying to gain weight.
Reply 49
Super skinny and then I would eat twice my body weight in food!
Reply 50
It is easier to decrease your calorie intake than it is to increase it (with good food) when your stomach is already full, which is what you have to do when you are underweight.

For you perhaps, but that doesn't mean it's like that for everyone, some people find it more difficult the other way around.

Says who?

You're saying it's not physically painful to eat another plate of food after you've just had a three course meal? Cos that's how you will feel when you're trying to gain weight after being used to eating normally* for x amount of time.

*Normal as in, relative to what you would normally eat as an underweight person not trying to gain weight.

I've deliberately gained weight before, I've had extra meals, more calories, yes it was difficult, but no it was not painful. Are you really so dense as to assume that because you found something painful that everyone else will :confused:
Original post by rlw31
For you perhaps, but that doesn't mean it's like that for everyone, some people find it more difficult the other way around.

Because they have no nutritional knowledge. But the act of eating when you are full, is easier than not eating. What's so hard to understand about that?

You're saying it's different for every person but not providing any evidence to back it up.

Original post by rlw31
I've deliberately gained weight before, I've had extra meals, more calories, yes it was difficult, but no it was not painful. Are you really so dense as to assume that because you found something painful that everyone else will :confused:

You avoided the question. Is it or is it not painful* to eat when you are full? If it wasn't, you'd be able to carry on eating. What is it that makes you have to stop? The feeling of your stomach being full.

*I'm pretty sure you are comparing the pain of eating on a full stomach to the pain of being punched in the face or being stabbed, which just sounds like you're arguing for the sake of arguing tbh.
I would have to go for superskinny, mainly because of the negative attitude of society towards supersized people. If someone is too thin it seems most people will either be worried for them (eating disorders) or admire them. Obese people are just seen as having no self-control. Also, it's easier to hide being too thin under clothes than it is to hide being too big.
Reply 53
Because they have no nutritional knowledge. But the act of eating when you are full, is easier than not eating. What's so hard to understand about that?

You're saying it's different for every person but not providing any evidence to back it up.

For you perhaps, if you want to talk about evidence, where is your evidence that this is the case for everyone, or only for those with no nutritional knowledge?

You avoided the question. Is it or is it not painful* to eat when you are full? If it wasn't, you'd be able to carry on eating. What is it that makes you have to stop? The feeling of your stomach being full.

*I'm pretty sure you are comparing the pain of eating on a full stomach to the pain of being punched in the face or being stabbed, which just sounds like you're arguing for the sake of arguing tbh.

I didn't avoid the question, I did not find it painful. By the logic in bold, no one would be able to gain weight.

I'm not comparing it to being punched or stabbed, wtf are you on about?

The sum of your argument seems to be nothing more than "I've both gained weight and lost weight, I found it harder to gain weight, therefore gaining weight IS harder than losing weight, this is true for everyone, you have no evidence to the contrary, it is painful to eat more" :rolleyes:
Its easier to put on weight than lose it.. so superskinny.
Original post by rlw31
For you perhaps, if you want to talk about evidence, where is your evidence that this is the case for everyone, or only for those with no nutritional knowledge?

If it wasn't harder to eat when your stomach is full, gastric bypass operations wouldn't work.

They do, so work it out.
Reply 56
Superskinny, so I could scoff my way back to average sized....

funny-food-photos-mine-all-mine.jpg
Reply 57
If it wasn't harder to eat when your stomach is full, gastric bypass operations wouldn't work.

They do, so work it out.

If you're smart, for example timing your intake properly/taking in calories through liquid, you needn't have to have more food when you're stomach is literally full. Also, gastric bypass operations work in part by making food bypass part of the small intestine which reduces the amount of nutrients absorbed.
well both of the situations are "clinical sick" but in my opinion for a man oversized and for a woman superskinny..
Reply 59
Superskinny. I think it's harder to lose weight than put it on, so I'd just eat loads to get to an average-ish weight hopefully. Eating takes less motivation than exercise.

Quick Reply

Latest