Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Islam allow prostitution?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScholarsInk)
    Yep, especially in the "holy city" of Qom.

"Qom even has its own well-known red-light district, where pious mullahs can get licences to be married just for a few hours or a day to a pretty woman in a custom that is close to abetting prostitution." - The Economist, July 23rd 2009

At the same time, the fact that this is allowed and encouraged in Shi'ism does not mean the same can be said of mainstream Islam. It would be like attributing to the Catholic Church Puritan doctrine or to Presbyterians for Mormon beliefs, or vice versa.
    Where do they get these women from? Plus, why would a Muslim woman want to lose her virginity before she's in a 'proper' marriage? What Muslim man would want to marry her if she has already lost her virginity to a mad Mullah in a temporary marriage?

Do they work as prostitutes,is she forced or something? I mean I'm surprised they families even allow their sisters/daughters to enter into a temporary marriage based on sex just to be used :confused:
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman9999)
    Can I say it is not encouraged in Shia Islam, it is merely allowed; I don't think encouraged is the right word. But like I mentioned previously, the intention of the marriage is the important thing and like any other country/city there are brothels and places like this for people to go if they want to. However this does not mean that every person there wants to and has done it before. For example, I live in a city which has a brothel, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to go there...
    I'm not saying that you do, but the fact of the matter is that Shi'ism does encourage it, at least in its Irani incarnation.

(Original post by frenchfries)
    Where do they get these women from? Plus, why would a Muslim woman want to lose her virginity before she's in a 'proper' marriage? What Muslim man would want to marry her if she has already lost her virginity to a mad Mullah in a temporary marriage?

Do they work as prostitutes,is she forced or something? I mean I'm surprised they families even allow their sisters/daughters to enter into a temporary marriage based on sex just to be used :confused:
    It's like prostitution anywhere; it's just that in Iran it is government-run and "religiously" authorised.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying that you do, but the fact of the matter is that Shi'ism does encourage it, at least in its Irani incarnation.
    Hmm... I will have to research this place, but I still believe "encourage" is too strong a word. After all, they may have authorised it to cater for everyone's needs, but they do not go around spreading it like propaganda! It is the same as Britain allowing Mosques to be built: it is a Christain country but is catering for the needs of others.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Don't you find it interesting that Mohammed essentially allowed something very similar though? Sham marriages for the purpose of sex and a housekeeper for a short period of time, with no intent to sire a family or settle down, which I believe is the proper Islamic reason for marriage.

Sure, it's been changed since, as Muslims were want to do at the time. And yes, the title of the thread is a little misleading, but I'd love to hear your opinion on the matters of Muta.
    Muta is prohibited as far as I know, it was then and it still is. You say that the prophet allowed it, but what is to be gained by such a thing? If we know 100% that Muhammad taught that marriage is between man and women and is supposed to be for the rest of your life (as expressed in the Quran) then why would he allow Muta marriages? I think it's a bit fishy.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I will have to research this place, but I still believe "encourage" is too strong a word. After all, they may have authorised it to cater for everyone's needs, but they do not go around spreading it like propaganda! It is the same as Britain allowing Mosques to be built: it is a Christain country but is catering for the needs of others.
    These are run by the ayatollahs, so... yeah, not the same.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    These are run by the ayatollahs, so... yeah, not the same.
    Proof? Can you send me a legitimate link or something similar to show this, please. But if this is true then this doesn't symbolise what the rest of Islam or any school of thought within it believes in, unless they strongly believe this to be true. Many people travel to Hawsas (schools to train to become Ayatollahs or Moulanas) but, like any other school, not all of the students are perfect.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Proof? Can you send me a legitimate link or something similar to show this, please. But if this is true then this doesn't symbolise what the rest of Islam or any school of thought within it believes in, unless they strongly believe this to be true. Many people travel to Hawsas (schools to train to become Ayatollahs or Moulanas) but, like any other school, not all of the students are perfect.
    skip to 0:32

• 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying it's true of normal Islam, but it is certain true of Imami Shiism.

Remember, modern Iran was born out of the brutal killing and exile of the indigenous (and entirely Sunni) scholarly population and the pressing down of all traditional Islamic expression in favour of Shiism.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    Muta is prohibited as far as I know, it was then and it still is. You say that the prophet allowed it, but what is to be gained by such a thing? If we know 100% that Muhammad taught that marriage is between man and women and is supposed to be for the rest of your life (as expressed in the Quran) then why would he allow Muta marriages? I think it's a bit fishy.
    We all know Mohammed was not above double standards, or as you would rather call it, 'contextual action'.

Clearly here the issue was his men wanted to have relations with women, so he bent his own rules to allow them to have it, to keep them on his side. Just as we see that sex outside of marriage is adultery, unless it's with a slave. We see Mohammed talk about how every man and woman should be equal, and yet he condones the keeping of slaves.

I think rather than denying it, you should think on his action. It was reported in more than a single Hadith.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just researched him... He has already been imprisoned before for doing deeds which were what extremists would do. I appreciate where your view is coming from but I think this Sheikh should not represent what the majority of the school of thought's morals and ideas. He seems a bit dodgy in that manner...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just researched him... He has already been imprisoned before for doing deeds which were what extremists would do. I appreciate where your view is coming from but I think this Sheikh should not represent what the majority of the school of thought's morals and ideas. He seems a bit dodgy in that manner...
    You should watch this.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    No - I don't think a single religion permits it.
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    My logic, they dont let their women show their faces so im guessing no?!
    Women can show their faces, just difference of opinion and some women do it because they want to be closer to God. Prostitution isn't allowed at all, it's something that is bad for the community, the women and unlawful as it will allow engagement in Sex outside marriage, etc which is punishable. So why would it be.......plus the OP is taking loads of things out of context and seems to have copied and pasted the lot from WikiIslam or something.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    OMFG -_- why? are you intrested in it or something?
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should watch this.
    Iran is a Shia based country...........that doesn't represent Islam at all, considering the majority don't follow exactly the same teachings.
    Also read the title of the video 'illegal' meaning whats happening in Iran is considered illegal under their laws.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevertoomuch)
    Islam Condones A Form of Prostitution Called Mut’a
    Mut'ah is a temporary marriage, not prostitution. That's like equating having a girlfriend to prostitution, or buying a wedding ring for your fiancee to prostitution.
    Mut'ah is considered forbidden by the vast majority of Muslims anyway, though it may have once been permitted.
    Doesn't British law allow prostitution? Why aren't you more concerned about that, rather than whether Islam allows it?
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    We all know Mohammed was not above double standards, or as you would rather call it, 'contextual action'.

Clearly here the issue was his men wanted to have relations with women, so he bent his own rules to allow them to have it, to keep them on his side. Just as we see that sex outside of marriage is adultery, unless it's with a slave. We see Mohammed talk about how every man and woman should be equal, and yet he condones the keeping of slaves.

I think rather than denying it, you should think on his action. It was reported in more than a single Hadith.
    Sabra al-Juhanni reported on the authority of his father that while he was with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon hm) he said: O people, I had permitted you to contract temporary marriage with women, but Allah has forbidden it (now) until the Day of Resurrection. So he who has any (woman with this type of marriage contract) he should let her off, and do not take back anything you have given to then (as dower).

Book 008, Number 3255:
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty clear the OP has misused the word 'prostitution'.

That aside, if your followers were that serious as to consider castrating themselves then a temporary marriage seems clearly a reasonable solution to the problem at hand.
    It isn't rape either btw.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? Muslims can't even have sex outside of marriage so how the hell would prostitution be okay? Some people...
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reform)
    Sabra al-Juhanni reported on the authority of his father that while he was with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon hm) he said: O people, I had permitted you to contract temporary marriage with women, but Allah has forbidden it (now) until the Day of Resurrection. So he who has any (woman with this type of marriage contract) he should let her off, and do not take back anything you have given to then (as dower).

Book 008, Number 3255:
    So you mean to say, he did allow it for a time? And then, at a later date, revoked that.
Updated: March 23, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.