The Student Room Group

Edinburgh College of Art 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by millas2103
not quite fashion, but 2nd year performance costume :smile: I applied at Hermit's Croft, Darroch Court and Nicolson street :smile:

Ah cool! Did you have any reasons for choosing them? Still wondering whether I should go for catered accommodation as Pollock Halls look really nice. Bit far away from the college though! Very exciting! Are you from Edinburgh?
Reply 41
Original post by so-ph
Ah, that's a tough choice! (though I'd definitely say she should choose Edinburgh!) :grin:
Have you applied to ECA too?

For people that have picked Edinburgh as their firm -
Have you been asked to send past exam certificates for verification?
And when are people applying for accomodation?
(I'm starting to look - there are so many options! Feel like I need to get a move on now :s)

Hi! Just wondering if you've applied for accommodation yet or still looking? Its so hard to choose! Didn't really look at it on the applicant day! :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by bee118
Hi! Just wondering if you've applied for accommodation yet or still looking? Its so hard to choose! Didn't really look at it on the applicant day! :smile:

Hey! Yeah, I found it really hard to choose - I didn't look round on the applicant day either...
In the end I decided to apply to accomodation on Cowgate, as it looks close(ish) to the art school. I was on google streetview for such a long time! haha...
In the end I put down College Wynd, Kincaid's Court and Robertson's Close! Don't know if I chose right though... :smile:
I guess now I just wait till August (?!) What will you be studying?
Reply 43
Original post by so-ph
Hey! Yeah, I found it really hard to choose - I didn't look round on the applicant day either...
In the end I decided to apply to accomodation on Cowgate, as it looks close(ish) to the art school. I was on google streetview for such a long time! haha...
In the end I put down College Wynd, Kincaid's Court and Robertson's Close! Don't know if I chose right though... :smile:
I guess now I just wait till August (?!) What will you be studying?

Yeh I've looked at those too! Sure they will be fine! I think you hear back after your conditional offer (if thats what you have?) changes to an unconditional?! i think! Im studying Fashion! Are you studying illustration?
Reply 44
what do you guys think of the portsburgh court situated like literally next to the college?

http://www.unite-students.com/student-accommodation/edinburgh/portsburgh-court?

im only starting to research accomodation so im completely clueless about this, what do people do normally? are there like halls of residences?
Reply 45
Original post by AceDLS
what do you guys think of the portsburgh court situated like literally next to the college?

im only starting to research accomodation so im completely clueless about this, what do people do normally? are there like halls of residences?

As far as I know that's sold out. There's two private halls ten minutes walk (iQ) and another Unite hall about five mins (Chalmers St). There are a few others across the city too. You can apply for a place at any of the Edinburgh Uni halls too, they aren't as close though. :smile:
Reply 46
Has anyone applied to Pollock halls? x
Reply 47
Original post by bee118
Has anyone applied to Pollock halls? x

I'm applying self catered, Pollock halls are way too far for me and I don't like the idea of eating the same food for a year every. single. day.
Reply 48
Original post by bee118
Ah cool! Did you have any reasons for choosing them? Still wondering whether I should go for catered accommodation as Pollock Halls look really nice. Bit far away from the college though! Very exciting! Are you from Edinburgh?

Yeah I thought that, plus I intend on spending like £20 a week on food so it shouuuuld turn out cheaper :P
No, I'm from Leeds :smile: you?
Reply 49
Yeah I thought that, plus I intend on spending like £20 a week on food so it shouuuuld turn out cheaper :P
No, I'm from Leeds :smile: you?

Yeh same! Pack lunches for sure! I'm from Derbyshire!
Original post by AceDLS

My son lived there in his first year. It's very expensive, but you have no transport costs! It's a perfectly nice place.
Reply 51
Original post by bee118
Yeh same! Pack lunches for sure! I'm from Derbyshire!

Also sorry for not answering your question! Erm they just seemed nice and I didn't want to be too close to Cowgate because I hear that's where a lot of bars and clubs are so it could get noisy! Usefull for freshers though :wink: and the ones I chose are all a 20min walk or less so that's fine :biggrin:

Have you decided yet?
Reply 52
Original post by AceDLS

I live there now! It's literally right across the road which is amazing because of all the late nights we spend in the studio. Rooms are a decent size with lots of storage, my room faces out onto the road which can be a bit noisy because it leads down to Grassmarket/Cowgate which is where all the clubs are so I get a few drunks outside my window. If it is sold out Chalmers street is also across the road, a bit further but it takes you like 3 minutes max to walk over! Their kitchens are probably a bit nicer. IQ is further away, 15 minutes walk, but I wouldn't want to live there because it's mainly older students.. have friends who live there and they don't really know anyone in the building.
Reply 53
Anyone looking into accommodation I really wouldn't recommend Pollock halls, they're so far away and art students do have to be in literally every day and most of us stay late working in the studios. Can't imagine having to travel all the way back there at night!
Reply 54
Also sorry for not answering your question! Erm they just seemed nice and I didn't want to be too close to Cowgate because I hear that's where a lot of bars and clubs are so it could get noisy! Usefull for freshers though :wink: and the ones I chose are all a 20min walk or less so that's fine :biggrin:

Have you decided yet?

Yeh I was thinking the same, gone for Hermits Croft, Portsburgh Court and Nicholson street!
Reply 55
I'm doing first year entry to ba art at ECA but I have no idea which halls to go for because I live in Edinburgh so don't know if I will get a place in Uni halls..? Is anyone living in the UNITE Chalmers St halls this year??
Reply 56
FB group created for all students joining ECA in 2012 to keep up to date on freshers week events, accommodation information, chat to fellow freshers and your School Representatives!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/367138050016361/

Quick Reply

Latest