The Student Room Group

American Medicine fees

I'm sorry if this has been asked again and again but...

So I understand that medicine can only be studied post graduate in America and that generally you can get a scholarship for your first degree (i.e. in biology) (particularly if you apply to the rich and large universities like Yale and Harvard), but what about the fees for studying Medicine afterwards? Would you have to pay these or could you get a scholarship again?

Reply 1
Hi :smile: I was considering America as well and I contacted the British Harvard group or something like that and they told me that yep you could get a scholarship for the first 4 years but that its very hard to get accepted and you wouldn't have scholarship funding for the actual medical studies...plus you have to do SATs and its an 8 year course but don't take that for bible other people probably have more reliable info.. :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by MissMedic
Hi :smile: I was considering America as well and I contacted the British Harvard group or something like that and they told me that yep you could get a scholarship for the first 4 years but that its very hard to get accepted and you wouldn't have scholarship funding for the actual medical studies...plus you have to do SATs and its an 8 year course but don't take that for bible other people probably have more reliable info.. :biggrin:

Thank you :biggrin: Its such a shame that its so hard to get into American universities - their system is just so different to ours :/
If you do your first degree, then get citizenship, then apply for the degree and it's at a top private uni, you'll probably get a full scholarship, if not but you're still a citizen of the US then you'll get a student loan.

Otherwise it's nigh on impossible to get into and get funding for and American medical degree.
Reply 4
Original post by Natalie21
I'm sorry if this has been asked again and again but...

So I understand that medicine can only be studied post graduate in America and that generally you can get a scholarship for your first degree (i.e. in biology) (particularly if you apply to the rich and large universities like Yale and Harvard), but what about the fees for studying Medicine afterwards? Would you have to pay these or could you get a scholarship again?

Note: Ideally you want to study where you want to work. Doctoring in the US as an IMG requires time, money and career shaping and is a long and difficult process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending