Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The PLS - Indian football's answer to the IPL

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The IPL has proved a massive success in India, though obviously cricket is very popular over there anyway.

Now the same model has been applied to football - six ageing players: Crespo, Cannavaro, Fowler, Pires, Okocha and Sorin - sold via auction to each club where they will play alongside 2 non-Asian foreign players per team, 2 Asian players per team with the remainder of players being Indian.

Could this be the catalyst for football in India? Things have already got off to a bad start though with the tournament being delayed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Premier_League_Soccer
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do people think?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was supposed to start in March but got postponed didn't it?
    I'd love to see Fowler again. :love:
    Barnes as manager too...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm not holding my breath.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's no organisation behind it whatsoever, I can't see it being a major success.

And Fowler bailed, btw. Weeks ago.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tucking Fypo)
    There's no organisation behind it whatsoever, I can't see it being a major success.

And Fowler bailed, btw. Weeks ago.
    He didn't bail....just said it's not happening right now.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuks)
    He didn't bail....just said it's not happening right now.
    Source? I was under the impression that he tweeted something about being done with it. The IFA couldn't get approval for stadiums and stuff and the whole thing just keeps getting delayed so nobody knows if the auctioned players have even been paid yet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Source? I was under the impression that he tweeted something about being done with it. The IFA couldn't get approval for stadiums and stuff and the whole thing just keeps getting delayed so nobody knows if the auctioned players have even been paid yet.
    Stupid corrupt government. They should just allow the IPS free reign, no government contracts/permission/licenses required, do what you want just don't turf out any people from their homes.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    More immediately a man who ideally would continue playing "for ever" hopes to combine the completion of his coaching badges with further overseas interludes. Fowler had hoped to swap Thailand for India's inaugural Premier League equivalent only for its late postponement to stymie such plans. After signing for the Kolkata Camelians franchise he was poised to join Robert Pires, Hernán Crespo, Fabio Cannavaro and Jay-Jay Okocha in a pioneering league intended to persuade India's population that cricket might not be quite the only sport worth following. "India's still definitely on the cards," he says. "I hope it happens."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...wler-liverpool
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuks)
    More immediately a man who ideally would continue playing "for ever" hopes to combine the completion of his coaching badges with further overseas interludes. Fowler had hoped to swap Thailand for India's inaugural Premier League equivalent only for its late postponement to stymie such plans. After signing for the Kolkata Camelians franchise he was poised to join Robert Pires, Hernán Crespo, Fabio Cannavaro and Jay-Jay Okocha in a pioneering league intended to persuade India's population that cricket might not be quite the only sport worth following. "India's still definitely on the cards," he says. "I hope it happens."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...wler-liverpool
    :yy: Cheers. Haven't really read articles on it since late Feb so completely missed that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 22, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.