The Student Room Group

7% of the Britsih population is privately educated, but they get 60% of the TOP jobs.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Ex Death
Good to see you have become so well indoctrinated that you fail to grasp how it is simply not possible for a sentient human being to not want to work in a boring, dull job for the rest of his life. Since you clearly will not take my word for it, I will suggest that you conduct a survey amongst bankers and then ask them if they actually enjoy their job. Be sure to ask them about their actual day-to-day job rather than aspects such as how much money they earn.

The fact is, the overwhelming majority of jobs in the finance sector are extremely dull and boring and it takes a severe amount of delusion to think otherwise.

I am not bitter whatsoever, I am actually very happy with the decisions I have made in life. I am simply baffled how people are still so brainwashed, that is all. I did not fall short of anything, but carry on making assumptions about me, and about how I must be wrong because I am deviating from the system. I'm sure it helps you sleep at night. Have a wonderful day and carry on.

The fact you have labelled Banking as career as "dull" only emphaises your complete and utter ignorance.

Good day Sir.
Reply 181
Original post by Hackett
The fact you have labelled Banking as career as "dull" only emphaises your complete and utter ignorance.

Good day Sir.

Yes of course, thank you for pointing out the error in my ways. Staring at numbers on a computer screen for 12 hours a day is the epitome of joy and happiness. Sorry I didn't receive the memo. I must repent for my blasphemy. I too shall join the rat race and become a "successful" person.
Reply 182
Ignorance is bliss.
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Are you saying you've never said a point and then couldn't be bothered to go on and on about it? I always debate with people who disagree with me on here, just this particular topic, though I do feel strongly about it, doesn't actually interest me. So replying to quotes with my points would be a drag. Bleh.

I definitely do feel like that at times but it just seems strange to write a reply that said in effect, "you are totally wrong, so wrong that it's not worth replying". If you truly felt it was a waste of your time, why reply at all? If I didn't have anything constructive (or deconstructive) to say then I wouldn't even hit the reply button.

I suppose my point is that it is poor to just say "you are wrong" and it expect it to be a satisfactory riposte.
Original post by atheistwithfaith
I definitely do feel like that at times but it just seems strange to write a reply that said in effect, "you are totally wrong, so wrong that it's not worth replying". If you truly felt it was a waste of your time, why reply at all? If I didn't have anything constructive (or deconstructive) to say then I wouldn't even hit the reply button.

I suppose my point is that it is poor to just say "you are wrong" and it expect it to be a satisfactory riposte.

I was going to reply. And so I pressed quote. But then, I changed my mind, as can happen. And so I thought I'd project my anger into being undeniably annoying. :u:
Reply 185
Dear OP

Get over it, stop whining and start working hard to do well.

<3 x
In a society that aspires, with varying success, to me meritocratic its inevitable that the smart and talented will get the best jobs and send their smart, talented kids to the best schools.

The smart and talented without that head start will be the ones able to give it to their offspring. Who'll put a painting of them on the mansion wall and buy them a yacht.
Original post by ForKicks
It would be extremely stupid to not use an economic advantage if you have one.

So you believe that people should be allowed to purchase organs for a transplant for example?
Original post by Hackett

Good day Sir.

I'm guessing some of his gripe is probably influenced by the pro-IB movement on here or may be he doesn't like working in an office? I've seen people on here knock the military as a career choice on the basis that they have a brain without criticism. What's the difference? You might see some roles in the military, or all of them dull too? I've heard infantrymen get given very dull jobs when not in a combat zone and not everyone in the military could stand that. Suppose it also depends on what you class a top job. I personally look at what the job entails rather than stature of job/field and pay.
Original post by NDGAARONDI
So you believe that people should be allowed to purchase organs for a transplant for example?

I believe that if you needed an organ, had the money for an organ, and we lived in a system where you could buy an organ, you would have to be suicidal or downright stupid to not buy one!
Original post by ForKicks
I believe that if you needed an organ, had the money for an organ, and we lived in a system where you could buy an organ, you would have to be suicidal or downright stupid to not buy one!

Funnily enough I was thinking of purchasing an organ albeit the musical variety.
Original post by THECHOOSENONE
I'm gob-smacked really. Just read a disgusting stat, that states that, 7% of people our privately educated in this country, but they make up 60% of the top jobs in this county ranging from, financial services, The law basically high end jobs.

Now I know the snobs will just tell me that they our well educated and deserve all they get, well sir in my opinion it shows just how much of a unfair divide exists between the upper classes and the ordinary folk.

I have no respect for the silver spooned that rub their privilege in peoples faces. I have all respect for the self made but not snobs. Anyway this stat highlights the considerable troubles that hurt society :mad::mad:

why are you surprised? If they've been eductaed to a high standard surely they deserve the top jobs?
I have clearly stirred up people's passionate side's lol. The main purpose of this thread was to highlight the SHOCKING AND UNFAIR divide that exists between certain folks in this country, and I have seemed to have done that.

I was reading through a lot of the comments and people were asking what I meant by top jobs, well I meant the highest paying well respected jobs obviously.

Secondly this stat is readily available on-line and was being reported on all the major news channels this month.
Reply 193
Original post by ah.meh
This is simply not true, you've made this up. Its not the 1800s.

No I was taught this in Sociology!
Reply 194
Original post by thegaffer91
Hasn't anyone thought that there may be a genetic influence here?

If people are rich, chances are it is because they are very clever. If not clever, then have some talent, like sport or music. Even if you don't agree that these people should be paid highly, the people who consume their services do, and it would be horrendous for the public sector to meddle in private sector wages (although this is another debate altogether).

Of all the very rich people in the world, not many don't deserve it. This is often passed down through their genes to their children and grandchildren, meaning they are also very intelligent people. Going to a private school simply enhances this natural intelligence, allowing them to use it to the full potential. Even if they didn't get the best education (except maybe if they were in one of the worst schools in the country), many of them would probably still make it into one of these top jobs. Surely it is better to try to move the standard of the worst off upwards rather than prevent those at the top from getting too far ahead of the others?

I don't understand why people are so against the private schools. People may see this as the 1% screwing everyone over again by getting a better education than us, but think of it in this way. These are the people who contribute by far the most to tax revenue, which pay for schools, hospitals, benefits and welfare etc. However, if they are privately educated and go to a private doctor, they use far far less in government resources than the average person, and the difference is even more astonishing when you consider how much more they provide to the public purse than the average person.

Explain.
Reply 195
Original post by Jivi
Its due to the fact that if you go to private schools like Rugby and Eaton you get unconditional offers to Oxford and Cambridge due to their historic relationship whether or not you fail your A levels. And as we all know if you go to Oxford or Cambridge you get the best jobs hence why the rich get the TOP jobs.

Original post by Jivi
No I was taught this in Sociology!

I don't want to be rude but both you and your teacher are wrong. You may want to inform your teacher that going to a private school does not give you a automatic place at Oxbridge and if you fail your A-levels it doesn't matter what School you went to, state or private, you will not get a unconditional to Oxbridge. Honestly that was just ridiculous comment.
Original post by Bonged.
Explain.

The way I see it, earning potential is a function of your ability to earn (to what extent you have a skill that someone will pay for, and how much they will pay for it), and your propensity to earn (to what extent you want to maximise your earning potential against other benefits, such as more enjoyable work (subjectively) or more leisure time).

If the first part of this is high, it can often be defined as 'being clever'. Whether this is in the academic sense, the business sense, the financial sense or the sport sense, it is there in almost every case. You might argue that some footballers are stupid, but even if most of them don't have academic ability, they are still very clever in the sense of how they read and adapt to the game, something that most non-professionals cannot do.

If we take the example of academics, who are very clever but don't earn all that much, we can see that at least one of these sides will fall down. Often, it is the propensity to earn - If they wanted to they could go into industry and earn a lot more. Sometimes however, it is the former - either the skills they have aren't highly demanded for whatever reason, or there is enough supply of the skills to push wages down.

You will very rarely come across someone who is very rich where no one in the family is clever. Sometimes you get people from the upper class who break this mould, but to have that much family wealth and power someone somewhere must have done something right...

BTW, sorry I couldn't answer all the other people who quoted me, my background is in economics rather than genetics, so apologies if my assumptions about intelligence were incorrect.
Reply 197
Original post by ah.meh
I don't want to be rude but both you and your teacher are wrong. You may want to inform your teacher that going to a private school does not give you a automatic place at Oxbridge and if you fail your A-levels it doesn't matter what School you went to, state or private, you will not get a unconditional to Oxbridge. Honestly that was just ridiculous comment.

I did NOT say all private schools! However if you go to Eaton and Rugby then you do!
Original post by ah.meh

It actually does get your facts straight they have a distinguishable list its been there for centuries Eton/Harrow, they have a list system of which certain people that go on those lists whether it be royalty. They don't question there application, its literally straight unconditional.
Reply 199
Original post by SloaneRanger
It actually does get your facts straight they have a distinguishable list its been there for centuries Eton/Harrow, they have a list system of which certain people that go on those lists whether it be royalty. They don't question there application, its literally straight unconditional.

No, simply. The previous person implied that by attending a certain private school you could simply get a unconditional offer to oxbridge. this is not the case. The list you refer to is to do with the family the child has come from not the school, and the this has not happened for decades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending