The Student Room Group

7% of the Britsih population is privately educated, but they get 60% of the TOP jobs.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jivi
Its due to the fact that if you go to private schools like Rugby and Eaton you get unconditional offers to Oxford and Cambridge due to their historic relationship whether or not you fail your A levels. And as we all know if you go to Oxford or Cambridge you get the best jobs hence why the rich get the TOP jobs.

You know that is rubbish right? what a moron.
Original post by THECHOOSENONE
I'm gob-smacked really. Just read a disgusting stat, that states that, 7% of people our privately educated in this country, but they make up 60% of the top jobs in this county ranging from, financial services, The law basically high end jobs.

Now I know the snobs will just tell me that they our well educated and deserve all they get, well sir in my opinion it shows just how much of a unfair divide exists between the upper classes and the ordinary folk.

I have no respect for the silver spooned that rub their privilege in peoples faces. I have all respect for the self made but not snobs. Anyway this stat highlights the considerable troubles that hurt society :mad::mad:

What is surprising about this? Smarter people get further in life, deal with it.
Reply 122
Jobs for the boyz.
Original post by effofex
Jobs for the boyz.

Is a nonsense.
Original post by Ocassus
Nice generalisations.

There are no more or less *******s who go to Private school than who go to State school. To claim one type of asshat (private school asshat) is worse than a (state school) asshat or vice versa is pointless. The simple fact remains is, there are asshats, and they are not exclusive or even related to the schools they come from.

Yeah, but there's a load of high handed, patronising ****ers at private schools who go on to form establishment, and they have no real experience of anyone but their own. Personally I wouldn't want to see my kids become that, so narrow, even if I had the money for it. I just can't think in establishment terms.
Original post by Azarimanka
You know that is rubbish right? what a moron.

I know two people who were 'connected', who got unconditionals from Oxbridge, one got like 3 E/D's.
Reply 126
Original post by thegaffer91
Hasn't anyone thought that there may be a genetic influence here?

If people are rich, chances are it is because they are very clever. If not clever, then have some talent, like sport or music. Even if you don't agree that these people should be paid highly, the people who consume their services do, and it would be horrendous for the public sector to meddle in private sector wages (although this is another debate altogether).

Of all the very rich people in the world, not many don't deserve it. This is often passed down through their genes to their children and grandchildren, meaning they are also very intelligent people. Going to a private school simply enhances this natural intelligence, allowing them to use it to the full potential. Even if they didn't get the best education (except maybe if they were in one of the worst schools in the country), many of them would probably still make it into one of these top jobs. Surely it is better to try to move the standard of the worst off upwards rather than prevent those at the top from getting too far ahead of the others?

I don't understand why people are so against the private schools. People may see this as the 1% screwing everyone over again by getting a better education than us, but think of it in this way. These are the people who contribute by far the most to tax revenue, which pay for schools, hospitals, benefits and welfare etc. However, if they are privately educated and go to a private doctor, they use far far less in government resources than the average person, and the difference is even more astonishing when you consider how much more they provide to the public purse than the average person.

I'm a student in my penultimate year at state school, and your first point is, in my experience, *******s. At my primary school, almost half of the children in my class in year 1 were sent to private schools by year 6 (it was used almost as a state-funded prep school). I don't want to brag, but I was always top of my class by lightyears, and these upper-class people were, barring one, totally and utterly thick. Their parents used to get annoyed at me and offer their precious progeny rewards for beating me in tests :colondollar: (they never did)
Original post by Chillaxer
I know two people who were 'connected', who got unconditionals from Oxbridge, one got like 3 E/D's.

Right. I'm Sure. There is one college in Oxbridge which gives that sort of offer - which college did your 'people' apply to?
Reply 128
Original post by rosee92
At the risk of negs - sometimes it's not what you know, it's who you know.

that has got to be one of the most truthful statements I've ever seen on TSR, ever.
Original post by rosee92
At the risk of negs - sometimes it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Exactly this.
I go to a private school but I get a bursary.

And whilst their are a bunch of pompous arrogant ***** a lot of these "silver-spooned" people are very nice and grateful for all their privileges and luck.

If you're determined and academically able you will always find a way, and since when was getting a "top job" everything in life. Although some people with find in much easier to get a good job if they have contacts in certain industry, and this will apply for the rest of time.

Also you sound really stupid.
Original post by Steevee
So the people with the best education who are groomed for a life in certain industries do well in those industries?

Well knock me down and call me a goose.

:colonhash:

You're a Goose. :sheep:
It is a shame really... Though not always, (I'm going to get negged for this) but Prince Harry went to Eton and prior to that another private school I think but got BDD. So I guess it's the people there as well.
Private School =/= Smart, Oxford ect.
Reply 133
Lets remember that those in 'top jobs' now must have gone to private school 20-40 years ago.

And that people who go to private school now are a very different set of people that went 20-40 years ago.

Essentially 20 years ago the majority had both parents having gone to private school, and probably grandparents as well. Now hardly any people are in that situation. Mostly it's normal people with a nice middle class income who only have one or two kids and forfiet the nice holidays or a nicer house to give their kids the oppertunities that they didn't get.

You can see this through the private school grade league tables etc. No posh and well connected person is going to give a damn what their kids get because they simply don't need the grades. The focus on getting into the top jobs and loads of A*s is very much a middling middle class thing. And they are the main clients for the private schools.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 134
Original post by Chillaxer
Yeah, but there's a load of high handed, patronising ****ers at private schools who go on to form establishment, and they have no real experience of anyone but their own. Personally I wouldn't want to see my kids become that, so narrow, even if I had the money for it. I just can't think in establishment terms.

Erm, no there isn't. Majority of Private schoolers are acutely aware of their privilege, it is in part why Private schools do so well, they have a duty to 'prove themselves' worth their parents money.
Reply 135
Original post by jmenkus
I think it's an outrage that well-educated people should get good jobs. Send them to the salt mines, I say! Prepare for the illiteratorcracy!

Pure Brilliance!
I don't know about you. But I would rather go to a normal school and not be mentally scarred for life by the competitive nature garnered in these private schools.

It's no wonder they go far, they are bred to be psychopaths from the first day of school
Reply 137
Original post by TimeToSayGoodbye
I don't know about you. But I would rather go to a normal school and not be mentally scarred for life by the competitive nature garnered in these private schools.

It's no wonder they go far, they are bred to be psychopaths from the first day of school

At least we are not basked in ignorance!
Original post by The Doggfather
you dont have to be rich to go to a private school

But you can't be poor. A few minority of those at private schools come from poor backgrounds.

Or do you not know what poor is? Because you seem to be skipping around in your happy fluffy self-righteous world.

TSR is so pissing me off today.
Reply 139
Ohhhhhhhhhh Mannnnnn I sure as hell love that statistic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending