Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Children learn about sexual orientations in schools

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Before anyone gets the wrong Idea, I'm not talking about schools making children to not be straight, I'm talking about children knowing that not everyone is meant to be solely attracted to the opposite sex and knowing why it shouldn't be considered a harm. This means teaching about...

-Heterosexualiy
    -Homosexuality
    -Bisexuality
    and Asexuality-having no sexual attraction/preference in anyway

Now I'm going to start of by saying that I beleive it is a good thing, because some children might be gay but not know because society have made them to believe that their attraction is not only a choice, but a 'bad' choice, so they grow up denying it just to 'fit in' and impress people around them or look for ways to 'cure' their attraction or get tempted to kill themselves. There have been stories about gay students being bullied and I feel the cases of gay bullying would reduce, if the potential bullies weren't ignorant about homosexuals or influenced solely by homophobes around them.

Also, at what level do you think it's best?
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of course they should.

/thread.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    They should also be taught about Pan, Cis and Transexuality aswell

Infact I'd like to see a broader spectrum when it comes to teaching sexuality. Maybe keep it until year 10/11, but exploring what sexuality is, why people have attractions to certain things and societal attitudes toward them. The problem with current sex education is it's rather focussed on the mechanics of Hetrosexual sex, the dangers of STDs, and not much else.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, they should not.

/thread.
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quite a good idea tbh. May as well throw it in with the sex education lessons :yep:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well yes I guess since they are part of British society.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are they not already?
    My brother was taught it at his school already and he is 9.. Well i say taught it because i didnt ask in detail about how long they spent on the topic. But he certainly came home one day saying he had a class replaced with one talking about various topics including this.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The two controversial issues I can think of in regards to state school curriculum are religious and sexual subjects. I am not adverse to my children being taught any of these subjects because I am not threatened by them, but some parents are and that is their prerogative. It's not right to force your beliefs, agenda, by using the school system to influence someone else's children.

My point is that the people who are religious, and the people who want to push sexuality and awareness/acceptance to children in schools are more than able to teach their own children those topics. So the real motive in pushing these subject is because they seek to influence other peoples children. That is dangerous ground to be on.

For the record I agree with the op in accepting all forms of sexuality, but it is an issue which is not resolved for all people. Secularists don't want religion being pushed on their kids. People who are not accepting/comfortable with all forms of sexuality don't want those who are getting at their kids.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    They've all got to learn someday, why not sooner rather than later?
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, according to Margaret Thatcher. Bitch.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DYKWIA)
    Also, think about the parents of these children who don't want their kids to be taught about homosexuality.
    They shouldn't be parents.

lol u mad homophobes?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    They shouldn't be parents.
    Why not? I personally wouldn't want kids to be taught about homosexuality. It seems like state indoctrination. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with homosexuals, but it shouldn't be encouraged by being taught in schools.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    During the later half of secondary school only, I think any younger they are too young to fully understand; especially with issues such as being trans etc. I think exposing children to these ideas at a really young age can have a detrimental effect. For example, to a 6 year old that some people are born boys but actually feel like girls and have operation to make them a girl is just going to seem weird. In the long run it could cause more prejudice.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course they should be taught this. These are basic realities that they will have to come into contact with when they get out of school if they aren't already running into these things in school. By not teaching them about it we are encouraging ignorance.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DYKWIA)
    Why not? I personally wouldn't want kids to be taught about homosexuality. It seems like state indoctrination. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with homosexuals, but it shouldn't be encouraged by being taught in schools.
    They aren't being taught to be homosexual. (not that they could be) They are being taught that homosexuals and bisexuals and asexuals exist. What is being encouraged there? Knowledge. Doesn't seem like such a bad thing to encourage to me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    The two controversial issues I can think of in regards to state school curriculum are religious and sexual subjects. I am not adverse to my children being taught any of these subjects because I am not threatened by them, but some parents are and that is their prerogative. It's not right to force your beliefs, agenda, by using the school system to influence someone else's children.

My point is that the people who are religious, and the people who want to push sexuality and awareness/acceptance to children in schools are more than able to teach their own children those topics. So the real motive in pushing these subject is because they seek to influence other peoples children. That is dangerous ground to be on.

For the record I agree with the op in accepting all forms of sexuality, but it is an issue which is not resolved for all people. Secularists don't want religion being pushed on their kids. People who are not accepting/comfortable with all forms of sexuality don't want those who are getting at their kids.
    Also people concerned at the perceived 'sexualisation' of young people, who believe, rightly or wrongly, that young children (e.g. pre-teen) should not be taught about these things until they are older when it is more 'appropriate'.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It probably should come with Sex Ed, tbh, because the reason gay men are gay is the womb so it would make perfect sense to put that in there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a gay young person, I had an entirely 'hetrosexual education' and have done fine with it. I don't see any need to introduce homosexuality into an already confusing topic for 9-11 year old sex education classes. If it's relevant to the topic or asked by a student, then fair enough but otherwise I think it's best to keep in simple for "children". I think when talking about relationships, it shouldn't be excluded but I don't believe in making a specific point to have it in a discussion on it's own.

Maybe later on in secondary school when sexual feelings and hormones are being realised it should be made a point of having healthy chats and having more inclusion, just to highlight integration and that there is little difference between the two - other than the sexes of the participants.

I don't see any real need to change much in regards to homosexuality in school. As long as straight and gay relationships are used interchangably rather than a) having a section for homosexuality or b) having it ignored entirely, then I think that's healthy.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hawki1989)
    As a gay young person, I had an entirely 'hetrosexual education' and have done fine with it. I don't see any need to introduce homosexuality into an already confusing topic for 9-11 year old sex education classes. If it's relevant to the topic or asked by a student, then fair enough but otherwise I think it's best to keep in simple for "children". I think when talking about relationships, it shouldn't be excluded but I don't believe in making a specific point to have it in a discussion on it's own.

Maybe later on in secondary school when sexual feelings and hormones are being realised it should be made a point of having healthy chats and having more inclusion, just to highlight integration and that there is little difference between the two - other than the sexes of the participants.

I don't see any real need to change much in regards to homosexuality in school. As long as straight and gay relationships are used interchangably rather than a) having a section for homosexuality or b) having it ignored entirely, then I think that's healthy.
    I think the OP raised the question because it seems that many schools just ignore the topic entirely. Which leads to ignorance and distorted views.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandZul'Zorander)
    I think the OP raised the question because it seems that many schools just ignore the topic entirely. Which leads to ignorance and distorted views.
    I'm not sure that's necessarily true... like I say, homosexuality was ignored throughout my primary education in the 90s and I wouldn't say that anyone I know has a "distorted view" of homosexuality. But I do accept what you are saying in some cases. I'm just not sure that there needs to be a specific initative to usher the topic of homosexuality into the classroom. There are people that don't want there children to have THAT full of a picture of sexuality at a young age, and their wishes should be respected. I don't suppose backlash from parents aids acceptance too greatly.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.