Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Children learn about sexual orientations in schools

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.J10)
    Personally, I reckon in primary school when they learn the basics (i.e what puberty is, where babies come from) I reckon they should touch on the subject and say "and some boys like boys and some girls like girls", maybe a part about how not all/only gay people get HIV.

The only really controversial part of this would be appending "and that's fine" to the end. Until that point you're only stating facts, you add "it's alright to be gay" and you're "influencing" them. Or at least that's how it will be perceived.

I have no problem with telling kids it's alright to be gay towards the end of primary school, to be honest I'm sick of people using the word gay as an insult and so on.

Definitely not, that is much too young. Can we not just allow children to be children anymore?!

Maybe in secondary school, but it still wouldn't be good to append "and that's fine" to the end as that is a matter of personal opinion anyway to whoever is explaining it.

Except this - "and some boys like boys and some girls like girls", that could make heterosexual kids confused and question their own sexuality - and why would we want to make them do this?

The whole thing just sounds like it is asking for trouble...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because as Karl Kraus once said: sexuality, poorly repressed, unsettles some families. Well repressed, it unsettles the whole world.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    Yes, because as Karl Kraus once said: sexuality, poorly repressed, unsettles some families. Well repressed, it unsettles the whole world.
    I think maybe Karl Kraus may have gotten it the wrong way around...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)
    I think maybe Karl Kraus may have gotten it the wrong way around...
    I think "poorly" here is meant to refer to "narrowly" and "well" to "widely", based on the fact that moralists, amongst them those of a sexually moral persuasion, would really like to see everyone conform to their ideas, so if it's only a few families who embody those ideas, then it's being "poorly repressed", but that's just my 2 cents' worth.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not, that is much too young. Can we not just allow children to be children anymore?!

Maybe in secondary school, but it still wouldn't be good to append "and that's fine" to the end as that is a matter of personal opinion anyway to whoever is explaining it.

Except this - "and some boys like boys and some girls like girls", that could make heterosexual kids confused and question their own sexuality - and why would we want to make them do this?

The whole thing just sounds like it is asking for trouble...
    Children go to school because we anticipate them growing up, and want to equip them to do so and for what comes afterwards (i.e. being an adult). That what childhood is about. Nobody is proposing to start telling six year olds the mechanics of anal sex; telling them that gay people exist is no different to telling them that Polish people exist.

Sooner or later everybody is going to be confused and question aspects of their sexuality. All this does is legitimise one of those questions - I know it's a novel idea for a society whose concept of sexuality is largely informed by page 3 of the Sun, but it can hardly make things worse.

And if you omit the "and that's fine" you miss the point - which is to undo the harm caused by centuries of "and that's evil".
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    According to developmental psychology, sexual orientation is solidified at around age nine to twelve.

So, why not teach children, some of whom may be confused about their sexual orientation, that orientations towards members of the same sex do exist and are perfectly normal?

Actually, it's not personal opinion -- the psychological and psychiatric associations throughout the US and Europe have conducted studies on LGBT people since the 1960's -- and what have they found? Homosexuality is a perfectly normal, natural and acceptable expression of human sexuality -- that's not opinion, that's data-based psychology with decades of research to prove it.

A heterosexual child isn't going to question their sexual orientation to any point wherein they become 'confused'.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    Sooner or later everybody is going to be confused and question aspects of their sexuality. All this does is legitimise one of those questions - I know it's a novel idea for a society whose concept of sexuality is largely informed by page 3 of the Sun, but it can hardly make things worse.

And if you omit the "and that's fine" you miss the point - which is to undo the harm caused by centuries of "and that's evil".
    Sooner or later everyone is going to be confused? I don't remember being 'confused' about it?

I also don't remember other friends saying they were in any way 'confused'? It was very normal if by a certain age (whatever that was/is) that boys liked girls and vice versa. Nothing 'confusing' about that.

It only seems to become 'confused' where gay feelings are involved.

And still, you can't append "and that's fine" since it is only an opinion as it is not as if, on the other hand, the teacher is going to append "and that's evil" instead - since that is also precisely the same thing: just an opinion.

(Original post by NYU2012)
    According to developmental psychology, sexual orientation is solidified at around age nine to twelve.

So, why not teach children, some of whom may be confused about their sexual orientation, that orientations towards members of the same sex do exist and are perfectly normal?
    Because by putting it like this you are entering into 'opinionated' territory here, saying that orientations towards members of the same sex are normal.

Not for every child they are not and you could be confusing heterosexual children that are purely heterosexual.

(Original post by NYU2012)
    the psychological and psychiatric associations throughout the US and Europe have conducted studies on LGBT people since the 1960's -- and what have they found? Homosexuality is a perfectly normal, natural and acceptable expression of human sexuality -- that's not opinion, that's data-based psychology with decades of research to prove it.

A heterosexual child isn't going to question their sexual orientation to any point wherein they become 'confused'.
    It would be interesting to see these studies as although I do not disbelieve them to exist, we can still question their integrity. The LGBT lobby is huge in the USA, if not for them homosexuality would still be listed as mental illness in the DSM.

You are stating that a heterosexual child will not question as if it is fact. How do you know they would not become confused? We cannot know this until it would be tried out and again the results would be different with different children.

Children can take different perceptions of situations and statements than what adults do - that is entirely obvious since they are still learning and developing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenni12)
    Before anyone gets the wrong Idea, I'm not talking about schools making children to not be straight, I'm talking about children knowing that not everyone is meant to be solely attracted to the opposite sex and knowing why it shouldn't be considered a harm. This means teaching about...

-Heterosexualiy
    -Homosexuality
    -Bisexuality
    and Asexuality-having no sexual attraction/preference in anyway

Now I'm going to start of by saying that I beleive it is a good thing, because some children might be gay but not know because society have made them to believe that their attraction is not only a choice, but a 'bad' choice, so they grow up denying it just to 'fit in' and impress people around them or look for ways to 'cure' their attraction or get tempted to kill themselves. There have been stories about gay students being bullied and I feel the cases of gay bullying would reduce, if the potential bullies weren't ignorant about homosexuals or influenced solely by homophobes around them.

Also, at what level do you think it's best?
    Great post.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Trolls. Trolls everywhere on this thread!
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Trololol)
    Trolls. Trolls everywhere on the internet!
    Fixed that for you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Interesting article here just today:

Schools could be made to teach pupils about gay marriage once it is passed into law

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...assed-law.html

Although it does make a couple of interesting points:

The document says it is important the parents are consulted about their school’s sex education programme, and if a majority are unhappy, headteachers should consider changing it.

It adds: ‘If parents remain concerned, then ultimately they have the right to withdraw their children from sex education lessons.’
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting article here just today:

Schools could be made to teach pupils about gay marriage once it is passed into law

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...assed-law.html

Although it does make a couple of interesting points:

The document says it is important the parents are consulted about their school’s sex education programme, and if a majority are unhappy, headteachers should consider changing it.

It adds: ‘If parents remain concerned, then ultimately they have the right to withdraw their children from sex education lessons.’
    I'm not sure what the point of the article is. As it says that
    Under the Education Act 1996, pupils must learn about the nature of marriage and its importance for family life in sex education classes.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1zQiCfDDf
    So....they are going to teach that homosexuals can marry...and...what exactly? Because nothing else seems to change. They don't have to teach that homosexual marriage is 'right' or force it upon children but that it is legal, and that such relationships function like those of heterosexual marriages....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandZul'Zorander)
    I'm not sure what the point of the article is. As it says that
    So....they are going to teach that homosexuals can marry...and...what exactly? Because nothing else seems to change. They don't have to teach that homosexual marriage is 'right' or force it upon children but that it is legal, and that such relationships function like those of heterosexual marriages....
    They will possibly have to teach that... and... that's it.

That is basically the point of the article.

That is of course, unless someone wishes to append "and that's fine" onto the end of the statement (which has already been discussed, which makes it wrong).

Also the article didn't discuss it, but it could also have an effect on other "life lessons" that they have to teach now (can't remember what the correct name for those classes are) as they may have to start discussing similar things in relation to that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

Waiting for your grades? Let off some steam in our results chat megathread

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.