Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Should Children learn about sexual orientations in schools

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DYKWIA)
    Why not? I personally wouldn't want kids to be taught about homosexuality. It seems like state indoctrination. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with homosexuals, but it shouldn't be encouraged by being taught in schools.
    It is not being 'encouraged' as such, as you can't turn people into homosexuals. It is being tolerated, they would be teaching children to be tolerant of those that may be 'different' to themselves, and to be encouraged to be accepting of themselves if they turn out to be 'different'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

okay, fine - but people can change their sexuality with help.
    Oh my gaawd. They tried it 50 years ago by castrating boys. I guess what you said is the best argument FOR teaching children about homosexuality
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snozzle)
    Why do they naturally assume everyone is straight?
    I used to think that way as a child, because there were no cartoons that portrayed gay couples and no known gay couples around where I'm from, just straight couples. Even though some how, I had a feeling that I was attracted to girls as much as boys i.e I was Bisexual, I tried deluding myself into thinking it's an attraction I could beat or worth beating. When I was in boarding secondary school, the attraction started to become more obvious to me as I was reaching puberty.
    The more I was around homophobic people, the more I join them in their mindset, even church preachings fuelled the hatred the most.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why can't I have a say? Why do my feelings on this not matter? I'm not the only person with my 'homophobic' views.
    Because your views on homosexuality have nothing to do with whether or not homosexuality is or is not a sexual orientation? :confused:

That would be like me saying black people aren't humans because they're black.

Clearly, my opinion doesn't matter because fact of the matter is that they just simply are humans beings. In the same sense, regardless of what you think, homosexuality is a sexual orientation.

The US is the only important country here tbh, other developed nations have similar statistics.
    No, they don't. Do your research.

'The things you say are so completely ignorant it's astounding.'
    You mean completely non-ignorant since everything I say can be found in text books, in statements from the APA or APA, in research journals and so on and so forth?

Whereas nothing you say can be found in a single research journal or from any accepted psychological institution? :rolleyes:

Sexuality? Yes.

Sexual orientation? No.

From the APA:
    "All major national mental health organizations have officially expressed concerns about therapies promoted to modify sexual orientation. To date, there has been no scientifically adequate research to show that therapy aimed at changing sexual orientation (sometimes called reparative or conversion therapy) is safe or effective. Furthermore, it seems likely that the promotion of change therapies reinforces stereotypes and contributes to a negative climate for lesbian, gay, and bisexual persons. This appears to be especially likely for lesbian, gay, and bisexual individuals who grow up in more conservative religious settings."

You CANNOT change your sexual orientation. The APA also says something similar - as does University research and research found in research journals.

Stop being so incredibly ignorant and go and read the research available. You cannot change sexual orientation. We aren't in the 1950's anymore, I suggest you learn what sexual orientation actually is and how it works.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Without a doubt, yes. I didn't realise that I was asexual and not in some way 'defective' or 'damaged' until I was 17...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why not.

For people saying parents should have a choice. Er no they don't it's not their life and if their child is happy to sit in a class where they learn about all types of relationships then that's not their issue. If the parent is trying to force their children not to then maybe they should be taught a thing or two about forcing beliefs onto others.

My mother couldn't stop me being taught RE or any other 'controversial' subject this shouldn't be any different it just encourages people to think that being gay is not normal because people can 'opt out' of lessons.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    :facepalm:
    You clearly do not understand how thick some people are.
    These people don't hate gays because they are gay, they hate them because they are a minority. These are the thugs who are just bigots and hate anyone who is not identical to themselves. They are too stupid and angry to be reasoned with.

And it has worked out fine. Gays are not lynched, have equal rights etc. Any minority will always face persecution from idiots, and the lgbt community need to realises this sad truth. Either bring in eugenics or accept persecution from morons.
    Yes, some people hate people simply for being a minority. But, most homophobes I know have no problem with disabled people or ethnic minorities. I would infer that a significant majority of homophobes are more tolerant to other minorities and that it's a minority of homophobes that hate lgbt people just for being lgbt and those people are utter idiots.

I understand that lgbt people will always be persecuted as a minority. That's absolutely no excuse to sit back and do nothing. Being both mixed race and bisexual, I can say form general observation and experience that lgbt people are persecuted much more than ethnic minorities and I would suspect that's to do with a longer history of rights struggles that have allowed ethnic minorities to be accepted to the extent they are today. In the UK, gays have roughly equal rights (albeit, still not exactly the same) but legislation is not the whole battle. Lgbt people still aren't treated the same, and not even by a fraction like some ethnic minorities, but often by quite a significant degree. It's not uncommon to be chucked out, lose friends, lose family ties, recieve death threats and worst be murdered for being gay. Obviously death threats and murder is generally exacted by hate-blinded morons you refer to, but the former few heartbreaks are often caused by people who aren't that
    moronic and could probably have sense instilled in them.

Seriously, what's wrong with just telling children that some girls fall in love with boys, some with girls and some with both (and vice versa)? It's not going to be of any detriment and can only shape people to become more accepting.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    So what if I feel uncomfortable with openly gay people? I don't want to oppress them.
    But you do. You don't want homosexuals to have the same rights and privileges as you. You think they should have to keep their sexuality "private" while you should be allowed to boast yours. Thats called oppression.

It is better. Heterosexuals can have children more easily and on average they live healthier, better lives.
    Homosexuals CAN have children just as easily and in the same way as heterosexuals. Just not with the person they want like heterosexuals. Besides that how easily one can have a child doesn't determine whether or not one is better than another. So are you saying that a straight couple who can't have children is inherently 'worse' than a straight couple who can? Thats horrifying! :eek:

I'd also love to see the study/statistic/whatever you used to determine that heterosexuals on average live healthier and 'better' lives.

Because they will come out and we will suddenly have more gay people on the street. As I've said, I have no issue with gay people who keep their sexuality private.
    There won't be more homosexuals. There will be more 'out' homosexuals. Not that it would make any noticeable difference. They wouldn't be acting much differently. They would be acting much the same as they do now, very similar to heterosexuals. Why should heterosexuals get to be "public" with their sexuality and not homosexuals? That's discrimination and oppression...again.

Why can't I have a say? Why do my feelings on this not matter? I'm not the only person with my 'homophobic' views.
    You have a say. However when you express your opinion and it is baseless don't expect others who disagree with it to not call you out on it.

The US is the only important country here tbh, other developed nations have similar statistics.
    Really? I didn't realize the US was the only important country...I though maybe you know....all of the rest of the industrialized and developed countries matter too...huh...you really don't make us Americans look very good....
    besides that many other countries have the exact opposite statistics so your claim is just inaccurate.

This is still not true. By all standards it is an immutable characteristic. You have no evidence to support that it can change. All evidence suggests otherwise. The "therapies" you think "work" in actually only encourage suppression of the sexuality. Not a change.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, not sure, kids are a bit confused at the best of times so it may not help, let it occur naturally, but whatever the consensus, sexually transmitted diseases and how babies happen(two very important things to know) should be taught along with sexuality. At what age would you teach though? As some youngsters are sexually active very early in their life.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pr0view)
    (1) In fact i didn't say it couldn't be inherited. :confused: It would make sense if people could be more susceptible to homosexuality if they inherit certain genes, just like most mental illnesses.
    Apparently, you don't even remember what you yourself even said, let's go back and take a look:

Its fairly obvious to anyone who understands the basics of evolution that homosexuality is definitely not inherited
    Hmmm... Seems oddly like you claimed 'homosexuality is not inherited'. Oh right, you did

(2) Animals can suffer mental illnesses.
    No one is saying that they cannot. However, your claim is that some 250-500 species of animals all have the exact same mental illness.

Of course, homosexuality is a sexual orientation and is not a mental illness. Please read all modern research on the subject, which you have blatantly ignored or never read.

My dogs shags teddy bears I'm sure it has very little sexual preference to be perfectly honest.
    Has nothing to do with what you're trying to argue.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think teaching children about all sexual orientations would be helpful in reducing ignorance and bullying in schools. Children who think they might be gay (or know already) need to know that they're not "strange" and that their feelings aren't "bad".
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If parents are happy with their child learning about it, then the later part of secondary school e.g Year 8/9.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So what if I feel uncomfortable with openly gay people? I don't want to oppress them.
    So it makes you a homophobe. It's actually irrelevant whether or not you want to oppress gay people (you do want to oppress us incidentally by forcing us to be 'private' and take rights to adoption and civil partnerships away). Being a homophobe is about your inner feelings - it is an irrational fear or dislike of gay people. It's not about your actions although most homophobes want to oppress gay people

If someone said "I feel really uncomfortable around black people, I don't like them, they make me feel ill" then they ARE a racist, EVEN IF they say 'oh I don't agree with slavery or anything like that, they should have rights to marry like the rest of us'. Homophobia works the same way.

It is better. Heterosexuals can have children more easily and on average they live healthier, better lives.
    It's not better. Being heterosexual does not mean you are more fertile, and I can have children much easier than many heterosexuals. All I have to do is find a man and have unprotected sex, and voila I might be pregnant. You are confusing heterosexuality with fertility

And they do not live healthier lives. The only 'evidence' you have for this is your HIV stats which are not representative of most gay people, and do not hold true in the UK at all

Actually, this is a UK forum. We are debating the education situation in the UK, and on other threads we have debated other issues relevant to gay people in the UK. America is totally irrelevant to this thread because the education system is different there. And if you want to bring up the HIV stats, the only ones I'm interested in are the UK's. If America's are different, that's not relevent here. Go and debate on a US forum if you want the situation in your country to be the most important.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenni12)
    Before anyone gets the wrong Idea, I'm not talking about schools making children to not be straight, I'm talking about children knowing that not everyone is meant to be solely attracted to the opposite sex and knowing why it shouldn't be considered a harm. This means teaching about...

-Heterosexualiy
    -Homosexuality
    -Bisexuality
    and Asexuality-having no sexual attraction/preference in anyway

Now I'm going to start of by saying that I beleive it is a good thing, because some children might be gay but not know because society have made them to believe that their attraction is not only a choice, but a 'bad' choice, so they grow up denying it just to 'fit in' and impress people around them or look for ways to 'cure' their attraction or get tempted to kill themselves. There have been stories about gay students being bullied and I feel the cases of gay bullying would reduce, if the potential bullies weren't ignorant about homosexuals or influenced solely by homophobes around them.

Also, at what level do you think it's best?
    Consciousness-raising is always a promising first step to take when one is aiming to eradicate a problem - in this context, homophobia, etc. One could argue that the earlier that this consciousness-raising occurs, the better, because the views that a child is exposed to in early childhood have the tendency to stick with them for a prolonged period of time. Whilst I'm in no way advocating the conferring of explicit details to young children, I totally agree that removing the potential bullies through education can't be a bad idea.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandZul'Zorander)
    Again what makes you so sure it is a chemical imbalance? No evidence has been shown to suggest this to be the case. And since it was classified as a mental illness I am willing to bet there were studies on it.

As far as evolutionary theory goes. Homosexuality is seen as a possible population control mechanism. Which isn't a means to call it a mental disorder. It would be something that is completely natural and serves a specific evolutionary function. One that encourages the continuation of a population. See this thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1952834
    No one really knows why people are homosexual but seeing as humans sexual development is influenced and controlled by chemical hormones such as testosterone and oestrogen i don't find it that hard to believe that it would be chemicals in the brain and body which controls a persons sexual orientation.

And secondly to all of you spouting crap about a gay gene, you don't know what you are talking about. Genes completely control all aspects of chemical releases and cycles in our body and when they do or don't happen, a gay gene would most likely be the cause of the chemical imbalance that would trigger homosexuality. The same can be applied to depression, some families are genetically prone to it due to the presence/absence of a gene that can cause dramatic swings in mood regulating chemicals in the brain.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    Apparently, you don't even remember what you yourself even said, let's go back and take a look:

Hmmm... Seems oddly like you claimed 'homosexuality is not inherited'. Oh right, you did

No one is saying that they cannot. However, your claim is that some 250-500 species of animals all have the exact same mental illness.

Of course, homosexuality is a sexual orientation and is not a mental illness. Please read all modern research on the subject, which you have blatantly ignored or never read.

Has nothing to do with what you're trying to argue.
    Well this awkward...

Homosexuality is NOT or shouldn't be the result of a dominant gene. Can we agree on that?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Student Room's epically biased. (Watch with the negs).

No they should not.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    However, polygamy is illegal. You don't want schools teaching illegal activities.
    Polygamy isn't an illegal "activity" though. It's a form of relationship that has no legal recognition. That's not the same thing as it being illegal. What's illegal is trying to marry someone when you're already married. But I don't know why a polygamist would attempt to do that anyway.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    No one really knows why people are homosexual but seeing as humans sexual development is influenced and controlled by chemical hormones such as testosterone and oestrogen i don't find it that hard to believe that it would be chemicals in the brain and body which controls a persons sexual orientation.

And secondly to all of you spouting crap about a gay gene, you don't know what you are talking about. Genes completely control all aspects of chemical releases and cycles in our body and when they do or don't happen, a gay gene would most likely be the cause of the chemical imbalance that would trigger homosexuality. The same can be applied to depression, some families are genetically prone to it due to the presence/absence of a gene that can cause dramatic swings in mood regulating chemicals in the brain.
    The general consensus is that there is at least a strong biological/genetic factor, which can has been demonstrated many times using twin studies and the like. As far as chemical imbalances go. Just because hormones are involved in the development of sexual organs does not necessitate their involvement in sexuality. I'm not going to claim that they have no factor at all but I have yet to read a study that suggested that they had any major significance.

As far as your "gay gene" rant there...you are comparing someone being prone to an illness...to an immutable characteristic....there is a significant difference genetically. Whats to say that the genetic makeup that helps to cause homosexuality is a 'defect' or 'imbalance'? You can only make that claim if it is detrimental to the individual which homosexuality is not.

As far as your rant on genes....there clearly isn't going to be "gay gene" as it is far more complex than that and
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSoftie)
    The Student Forum's epically biased. (Watch with the negs).

No they should not.
    Wow, this is awkward...

Lol. It's called The Student Room...

More like they are pretty tolerant of people that society would deem 'different'.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.