Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chronic IBS

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014

I've been suffering from IBS for over 3 years now, I experience bloating and constipation, even after having a glass of water I bloat right up, anything at all. I've been to the doctors countless times, tried various medications, gluten-free diet, healthier fibre rich foods, probiotic yoghurt etc and nothing has helped. I then got referred to a paediatrician who made me have an ultrasound scan, mri and a various blood tests, all came back negative. I then got referred to a gastroinstelologist and didn't have much luck with him either, he made me try filtered water instead of normal incase I was sensitive to the chemicals in our water and that hasn't helped. I later went to a dietician who couldn't find any patterns in a food diary I did for about 2 or so months, she also suggested doing a low fibre diet, in case the high fibre was affecting my system, this didn't work either! A few months ago I went to see a psychologist partially to do with my IBS and partially about some other problems that were going on in my life at the time. He suggested doing exercise almost every day for 30 minutes, have my 5 a day and eat lots and lots of fruit and veg. That hasn't sadly helped me either. I've been trying charcoal tablets for the past few months and that slightly helped my constipation but like other medications, the effect eventually wore off.
    I'm at a loose end, I don't know what else to try. I'm currently trying a dairy free diet as I noticed that as I was having milk with my breakfast I was very bloated and my constipation worsened a bit. But I haven't noticed any changes as of yet.
    So I was basically wondering whether anyone else has been through/going through this and has any ideas on what could be causing my symptoms, it's really getting me down because I feel fat all the time due to being bloated constantly and I just wish something could help! Thanks

I've been going through the same thing really....the reason why I seem to have got it was due to major stress, atleast that's what the various doctors told me. Which is understandable because I was REALLY stressed at around the same time. Maybe that's what brought you're IBS on?
    However I haven't really figured out what's wrong with me either and I'll be going to the doctors again in 2 weeks time. I have a feeling that I'll probably end up being in the same situation as you and they won't really figure out what's wrong but oh well. I know I can't really give you much advice as I think IBS is different for everyone and different foods/things can have different effects on you, and it seems like you've already tried A HELL of alot, but I just thought I'd let you know you're not alone Sorry I couldn't be of much help though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    its good that you have tried lots of different things, as everyones ibs is different and so what effects you may not affect others in the same way. I am on a high fibre drink called fybogel and this has really helped my ibs symptoms as it bulks up your diet to help to relieve various ibs symptoms - it might be an idea to go back to your doctor and ask about it as you will not know if it works for you until you try it. stress is often the cause, so if possible try to keep yourself as stress free as possible. i hope this helps a little and trust me eventually you will find something that works for you but it may take a bit of time. i hope it all works out for you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

Get over yourself.

You're unlikely to die from it.

(Original post by alice456)
    its good that you have tried lots of different things, as everyones ibs is different and so what effects you may not affect others in the same way. I am on a high fibre drink called fybogel and this has really helped my ibs symptoms as it bulks up your diet to help to relieve various ibs symptoms - it might be an idea to go back to your doctor and ask about it as you will not know if it works for you until you try it. stress is often the cause, so if possible try to keep yourself as stress free as possible. i hope this helps a little and trust me eventually you will find something that works for you but it may take a bit of time. i hope it all works out for you.
    Yeah Fybogel was one of the first things I tired unfortunately, it definitely helped my constipation for the first few weeks but then it stopped working after a while, the same thing happens with all the medications I try. :/ Yeah stress could play some part in it though, especially at the moment with exams coming up and stuff so maybe. It's just easier said than done really.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been going through the same thing really....the reason why I seem to have got it was due to major stress, atleast that's what the various doctors told me. Which is understandable because I was REALLY stressed at around the same time. Maybe that's what brought you're IBS on?
    However I haven't really figured out what's wrong with me either and I'll be going to the doctors again in 2 weeks time. I have a feeling that I'll probably end up being in the same situation as you and they won't really figure out what's wrong but oh well. I know I can't really give you much advice as I think IBS is different for everyone and different foods/things can have different effects on you, and it seems like you've already tried A HELL of alot, but I just thought I'd let you know you're not alone Sorry I couldn't be of much help though.
    Yeah :/ I can't seem to pinpoint what the trigger was unfortunately, I think if I could then perhaps it could give me something to go on but I can't quite remember when it all started, it just feels like forever now. I do get stressed quite easily to be fair, it's easier said than done to teach yourself to deal with things better though! Yeah it's nice to know I'm not the only one out there with these sorts of problems! Let me know how you get on anyway

I have the same problem you do. I also used to have severe pains.
    Although, I got tired with all the doctors and being referred to other doctors, so I decided to just stick with it and do whatever I want.

I used to have constipation and diarrhea constantly. When I started having coffee, both these problems went away and I go to the toilet quite normally now.
    Nevertheless, the bloating still affects me, as well as noisy intestines during the morning till about lunch. But hey, nothing hurts anymore...

I have the same problem you do. I also used to have severe pains.
    Although, I got tired with all the doctors and being referred to other doctors, so I decided to just stick with it and do whatever I want.

I used to have constipation and diarrhea constantly. When I started having coffee, both these problems went away and I go to the toilet quite normally now.
    Nevertheless, the bloating still affects me, as well as noisy intestines during the morning till about lunch. But hey, nothing hurts anymore...
    Yeah I'm thankful I don't have pains, I've heard some horrible stories about the pains. :/ Yeah I can deal with the constipation to an extent because there are a few things I can to do help but the bloating never goes away whatever I do. If I don't eat anything then I don't bloat, so I obviously can't do that but that's the only thing that helps a little bit.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have IBS. When I got it they put me on mebeverine which did nothing, then buscopan which takes ages to kick in, now they've just turned around to me and said its stress, offering no help whatsoever. I've taken it upon myself to see if theres an allergy , so I've cut out gluten altogether 100%, and it has helped to an extent in that I don't have wind like I used to, or painful bloatedness. Being on a gluten free diet has meant I'm on a lot gentler diet, like grilled chicken salad, jacket potatoes etc which I suspect has helped too. though I now suffer with the worst constipation I've ever ever had. So much so that I ended up in A&E one night with the most acute stabbing pains I've ever felt in my life, was crying my eyes out in pain, howling the place down. I've since been given macrogel which again, doesn't do much. We're just kinda left to our own devices really. Only advice I can give to you is to try the gluten free diet again, perhaps also with the dairy free diet, and see where that leads you. Try all gentle foods on your stomach and as much water as is safe so your hydrated.

Also this is really.. really random but they do say that IBS is linked with your emotions. I don't believe it is as linked as they make it out to be, but I'm trying to make myself happier. Theres not a lot I can do to control that , but one way is that I watch this family on youtube called the Shaytards. Click on any of their videos and you'll see why. They just manage to be happy and positive in whatever circumstances they are in, and its 15 minutes a day that gives me a tiny lift of hope.

(Original post by insignificant)
    I have IBS. When I got it they put me on mebeverine which did nothing, then buscopan which takes ages to kick in, now they've just turned around to me and said its stress, offering no help whatsoever. I've taken it upon myself to see if theres an allergy , so I've cut out gluten altogether 100%, and it has helped to an extent in that I don't have wind like I used to, or painful bloatedness. Being on a gluten free diet has meant I'm on a lot gentler diet, like grilled chicken salad, jacket potatoes etc which I suspect has helped too. though I now suffer with the worst constipation I've ever ever had. So much so that I ended up in A&E one night with the most acute stabbing pains I've ever felt in my life, was crying my eyes out in pain, howling the place down. I've since been given macrogel which again, doesn't do much. We're just kinda left to our own devices really. Only advice I can give to you is to try the gluten free diet again, perhaps also with the dairy free diet, and see where that leads you. Try all gentle foods on your stomach and as much water as is safe so your hydrated.

Also this is really.. really random but they do say that IBS is linked with your emotions. I don't believe it is as linked as they make it out to be, but I'm trying to make myself happier. Theres not a lot I can do to control that , but one way is that I watch this family on youtube called the Shaytards. Click on any of their videos and you'll see why. They just manage to be happy and positive in whatever circumstances they are in, and its 15 minutes a day that gives me a tiny lift of hope.
    Yeah I hate how they go through a few standard procedures with you and then sort of leave you to figure it out for yourself, my GP was absolutely useless! And oh my god I watch them already, have been for years! Wow! Hahaha I love them, I know what you mean they're so inspirational ahhh!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I bet you're **** scared of having an accident in front of people
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've been suffering from IBS for over 3 years now, I experience bloating and constipation, even after having a glass of water I bloat right up, anything at all. I've been to the doctors countless times, tried various medications, gluten-free diet, healthier fibre rich foods, probiotic yoghurt etc and nothing has helped. I then got referred to a paediatrician who made me have an ultrasound scan, mri and a various blood tests, all came back negative. I then got referred to a gastroinstelologist and didn't have much luck with him either, he made me try filtered water instead of normal incase I was sensitive to the chemicals in our water and that hasn't helped. I later went to a dietician who couldn't find any patterns in a food diary I did for about 2 or so months, she also suggested doing a low fibre diet, in case the high fibre was affecting my system, this didn't work either! A few months ago I went to see a psychologist partially to do with my IBS and partially about some other problems that were going on in my life at the time. He suggested doing exercise almost every day for 30 minutes, have my 5 a day and eat lots and lots of fruit and veg. That hasn't sadly helped me either. I've been trying charcoal tablets for the past few months and that slightly helped my constipation but like other medications, the effect eventually wore off.
    I'm at a loose end, I don't know what else to try. I'm currently trying a dairy free diet as I noticed that as I was having milk with my breakfast I was very bloated and my constipation worsened a bit. But I haven't noticed any changes as of yet.
    So I was basically wondering whether anyone else has been through/going through this and has any ideas on what could be causing my symptoms, it's really getting me down because I feel fat all the time due to being bloated constantly and I just wish something could help! Thanks
    I honestly feel for you. I have the exact same problem, apart from the constipation. I've had these bloatedness issue for about 4-5years, and it has progressively gotten worse; as you've stated, even a glass of water causes me to bloat. I was told I had IBS a long time ago, although that was due to experiencing cramps at that time, but with IBS you can never really know whether it's a condition you truly have. Anyway, last year I was diagnosed with Coeliac disease, and like yourself the diet has made no difference whatsoever. I'm supposed to be seeing a gastroenterologist in a few weeks, so hopefully I'll get some further advice on the problem, but untill then I'll have to remain with this frustration. Something I have been looking into is digestive enzymes. A friend suggested it to me, so I'm currently looking for a reputable brand.

For the constipation problem, I'd recommend taking Ortisan Cubes. Drink plenty of water with it though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was diagnosed with IBS 2 years ago. I had all the symptoms. But I am/was constipation predominant. I find that different things work differently for everyone. I take Buscopan (which really helps) and I try to eat slower and not drink fizzy drinks which helped my bloating.

(Original post by WildBerrySpirit)
    I honestly feel for you. I have the exact same problem, apart from the constipation. I've had these bloatedness issue for about 4-5years, and it has progressively gotten worse; as you've stated, even a glass of water causes me to bloat. I was told I had IBS a long time ago, although that was due to experiencing cramps at that time, but with IBS you can never really know whether it's a condition you truly have. Anyway, last year I was diagnosed with Coeliac disease, and like yourself the diet has made no difference whatsoever. I'm supposed to be seeing a gastroenterologist in a few weeks, so hopefully I'll get some further advice on the problem, but untill then I'll have to remain with this frustration. Something I have been looking into is digestive enzymes. A friend suggested it to me, so I'm currently looking for a reputable brand.

For the constipation problem, I'd recommend taking Ortisan Cubes. Drink plenty of water with it though.
    Yeah Ortisan usually work for me too, definitely need a full glass of water after it though otherwise it doesn't work at all! Yeah I've thought about digestive enzymes too, let me know what you go with as I might give them a go. Do you know where you can get them from?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Try a healthy diet, you think what you stick in your body doesn't affect it?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain, dairy-free has worked for me but it doesn't for everyone Maybe try something like this? http://www.puristat.com/bloating/ant...diet-plan.aspx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chronic Itchy Ball Syndrome affects us all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcd1993)
    Chronic Itchy Ball Syndrome affects us all.
    You are now my 2nd favourite person on TSR
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Ortisan usually work for me too, definitely need a full glass of water after it though otherwise it doesn't work at all! Yeah I've thought about digestive enzymes too, let me know what you go with as I might give them a go. Do you know where you can get them from?
    Will do!

I think they're available at most health stores and possibly pharmacies. I suppose it's just about finding a well suited one, considering many of them contain different ingredients.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Have any of you here considered you might have leaky gut?

I have that with my ME and the symptoms of leaky gut are very similar to ibs, so maybe consider that if the diets for ibs arn't working for you.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 29, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.