Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Immigration and the jobless

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could get that idea by watching the Jeremy Kyle show but a lot of people do want to work they just can't find jobs because yes there are too many migrant workers and a lot of them work for very little wage which they then send home to their families and then leave again, it's a wage British workers can't live of but the employers will hire the ones who pay for less because they pocket the profits. In my opinion that's just widening the rich/poor gap.

Our resources are strained, there's no jobs and no housing. We just can't afford to keep letting so many people in. In an ideal world we'd be able to house everyone but this isn't an ideal world is it? If it was we wouldn't need to be granting people asylum would we?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harley_Quinn)
    You could get that idea by watching the Jeremy Kyle show but a lot of people do want to work they just can't find jobs because yes there are too many migrant workers and a lot of them work for very little wage which they then send home to their families and then leave again, it's a wage British workers can't live of but the employers will hire the ones who pay for less because they pocket the profits. In my opinion that's just widening the rich/poor gap.

Our resources are strained, there's no jobs and no housing. We just can't afford to keep letting so many people in. In an ideal world we'd be able to house everyone but this isn't an ideal world is it? If it was we wouldn't need to be granting people asylum would we?
    So simplistic, so wrong.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    So simplistic, so wrong.
    ಠ_ಠ
    Care to enlighten me then?
    I'm not saying that's the only reason but it's certainly a contributing factor.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roadlesstravelled)
    after one generation the immigrants become work shy because of welfare state -- well, those who work anyway.

a big proportion of those who come over do not work.
    People from A2 or A8 countries cannot claim a penny until they have been here for 2 years- even if they have young children or whatever.

They would starve if they came for 2 years to not work and receive no money!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harley_Quinn)
    ಠ_ಠ
    Care to enlighten me then?
    I'm not saying that's the only reason but it's certainly a contributing factor.
    You are not capable of being enlightened so I won't waste my time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the current system is fine. You have to earn 20k a year to get a work permit. Btw, is it true they are increasing it to 35,000?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in importing millions of happy hardworking immigrants (that's the officially sanctioned stereotype) if their children are just as or more likely to be unemployed as native British people?

http://www.londonspovertyprofile.org...th-and-gender/

The only group likely to have less unemployment is "other white".
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    What's the point in importing millions of happy hardworking immigrants (that's the officially sanctioned stereotype) if their children are just as or more likely to be unemployed as native British people?

http://www.londonspovertyprofile.org...th-and-gender/

The only group likely to have less unemployment is "other white".
    Can you tell the future?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dey took ahhh jerbs!!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Can you tell the future?
    Can you read?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I often heard and read that Britain should stop immigration of low skilled workers because the country has high unemployment.

The arguement goes that immigrants takes the jobs that should go to the unemployed British people but to be honest, a fair percentage of umemployed people don't want to work.
    For the most part this simply isn't true.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Can you read?
    You have obviously have no clever replies so resorting to stupid ones.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    For the most part this simply isn't true.
    Why do you think that?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so why do so many immigrant communities have such high unemployment levels?

whats the point of open borders, yes we have them, if so many are unemployed in the immigrant communities?

i thought these immigrant were here to do the jobs the useless lazy brits don't want to do??

of course, not all immigrant communities are equal. some work harder than others it seems so its not fair for me to paint them with the same brush.....
    I think you're confusing ethnic minorities with immigrants.

There is high unemployment among some ethnic groups. Young black males in particular at the moment. But since there has been very little black immigration in the last thirty years, it's not very likely many of them are immigrants.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmqib)
    I think the current system is fine. You have to earn 20k a year to get a work permit. Btw, is it true they are increasing it to 35,000?

utter crap you just say 'im scared for my life and that of my family so would rather run away than face my problems' or something to that effect and viola your in
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    You are confusing making money with full employment.

It doesn't matter if Britain does not have full employment. Britain has never had full employment, the nearest it got was around 98% in the 1960s.

Linking unemployment with immigration is a false dichotomy.

no, it is not. mass immigration is only necessary if there is virtually full employment and new factories are popping up that are desperate for the workers.

the opposite has been happening in britain for the past 60 years. factories and industry have been wound down. britain is de industrialising.

britain does not need a new workforce. it has workforce languishing on the benefits both in the white and ethnic minority communities. it needs to force those already here to take up the meagre amount of jobs that still remain.

an economy is based upon its manufacturing and industry -- thats what keeps the working classes in work.

importing a workforce that is not needed is simply creating competition at the bottom end where things are already bad enough.

it needs to stop.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mbob)
    I think you're confusing ethnic minorities with immigrants.

There is high unemployment among some ethnic groups. Young black males in particular at the moment. But since there has been very little black immigration in the last thirty years, it's not very likely many of them are immigrants.

there has bene loads of black immigration in the past 30 years -- somalians have been coming over in ever increasing numbers despite the fact they have some of the highest unemployment rates among any ethnic minority group?

its insane. britain is literally important unemployment and dependency from outside when it already had enough of it anyway.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    no, it is not. mass immigration is only necessary if there is virtually full employment and new factories are popping up that are desperate for the workers.

the opposite has been happening in britain for the past 60 years. factories and industry have been wound down. britain is de industrialising.

britain does not need a new workforce. it has workforce languishing on the benefits both in the white and ethnic minority communities. it needs to force those already here to take up the meagre amount of jobs that still remain.

an economy is based upon its manufacturing and industry -- thats what keeps the working classes in work.

importing a workforce that is not needed is simply creating competition at the bottom end where things are already bad enough.

it needs to stop.
    You are wrong there. The job of business is not to provide jobs to the unemployed, its to make money. Forcing businesses to only recruit from a labour without the right skills, experience or attitude is bad for the businesses themselves and bad for their employees as well as the country.

Why should a business be deprived of people who are good at their jobs and want to work, whether they are British or foreign? Businesses are not social engineers expected to motivate and give jobs to unemployed people who don't want to work and don't have the skills needed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    You are wrong there. The job of business is not to provide jobs to the unemployed, its to make money. Forcing businesses to only recruit from a labour without the right skills, experience or attitude is bad for the businesses themselves and bad for their employees as well as the country.

Why should a business be deprived of people who are good at their jobs and want to work, whether they are British or foreign? Businesses are not social engineers expected to motivate and give jobs to unemployed people who don't want to work and don't have the skills needed.

well, i'm not a vulgar capitalist. there is more to a society than the demands of share holders and business.

i can understand business wanting to bring in skilled workers if there is genuine shortage. but then it should be required for the business to specifically bring in those workers.

but, the vast majority of immigrants are not skilled workers they are unskilled. anyone can do their jobs.

the bottom end of the job market is being squeezed because of mass immigration and it is depressing wages. the immigrants are being exploited by business which does not want to pay decent wages.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    well, i'm not a vulgar capitalist. there is more to a society than the demands of share holders and business.

i can understand business wanting to bring in skilled workers if there is genuine shortage. but then it should be required for the business to specifically bring in those workers.

but, the vast majority of immigrants are not skilled workers they are unskilled. anyone can do their jobs.

the bottom end of the job market is being squeezed because of mass immigration and it is depressing wages. the immigrants are being exploited by business which does not want to pay decent wages.
    Just because a job is low skilled does not mean "anyone can do their jobs"

To a business, there is a big difference between workers who are motivated, does the job efficiently and gets on with other workers compared to workers who turn up late, argue with other workers and not interested in doing a good job.

Why should the presence of unemployed people dictate the employment options of businesses?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 7, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.