Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I just quit counselling but I awful about it?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

So today i told my counsellor that i don't want any more sessions because i felt as if i'm going around in circles, despite the fact that she said that i was doing well in progress and my depression and anxiety levels have lowered. I have been having counselling for 2 years now. Don't get me wrong she has helped me a lot i just don't feel its a long term thing, it might take me years to get back to my 'so-called old self if i ever recover from my PTSD and depression. I told her before that i was hoping to quit counselling this year but i felt a bit conflicted in decision, she understood but afterwards i changed my mind and kept going to have sessions for another month or so. Now i feel like that again but this time i told her it was final and that i rather live with the pain because it would actually make my life easier. I don't understand though why i feel so awful about it, i feel like my conscience is telling me what i have done is the wrong decision but at the same time i'm relieved that i don't have to have sessions anymore, but then again i feel like should go i will benefit from it. But i feel bad for quitting like as if i gave up too easily and i feel awful without saying a proper good bye. I just don't know anymore i've always had a conflicting mind on everything i do. My counsellor also suggested that if counselling is not working that i should go see a psychiatrist which she said she could refer me to. I'm not really sure about the psychiatrist are they helpful at all? Is it that different from counselling? So i was just wondering what i should do or has anyone on here ever felt like this? Please help i just don't know anymore.
    • 97 followers

ReputationRep:
    Psychiatrists (alongside GPs) are the only ones who are professionally qualified to be able to prescribe medication for you. So if you wanted to go down the medication route, or maybe have a second opinion on your diagnoses, then a psychiatrist would be the way forward :yes: Equally if you want to try a different type of counselling/therapy, e.g. trauma therapies, then a psychiatrist may be able to more easily refer you on.

Personally: I have a psychiatrist and he is very nice and very helpful and a good listener. But as with anything in life, that's just luck of the draw

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 22, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.