Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Plaid Cymru needs YOU!

Announcements Posted on
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looks like a good start for you! Night of the new parties tonight, with JPKC having a go for the "progressive party" as well.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    Looks like a good start for you! Night of the new parties tonight, with JPKC having a go for the "progressive party" as well.
    Thank you
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    I think it would probably go in the middle of Wales, near Newtown.

Or perhaps in Anglessey, as the wildlife is incredibly attractive and I can see that appealing to many

Fair enough, Anglesey doesn't have a university on it so that could work, also Gwynedd / Anglesey are some of the strongest Welsh speaking area's so it would make sense.
    Another problem though is that the increase in people (students) would bring more business to the area (not a bad thing), but if you've ever been to Anglesey you'll know that the only road there that could handle a great increase in the population would be the A55 (and it's always got stupid roadworks along it).
    Therefore I'd propose more access routes / big roads into the North (and other area's of Wales e.g. mid west) making it possible for things like the university / associated businesses to travel there, it would improve the economy in North Wales, also a large road from South to North (probably a motorway) is something that we're in dire need of. Again, more businesses can move up, better links for existing businesses, better flow of wealth throughout Wales. etc etc etc.
    The A470, although it is class is just not sufficient for what's needed in my opinion.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joemullally)
    Fair enough, Anglesey doesn't have a university on it so that could work, also Gwynedd / Anglesey are some of the strongest Welsh speaking area's so it would make sense.
    Another problem though is that the increase in people (students) would bring more business to the area (not a bad thing), but if you've ever been to Anglesey you'll know that the only road there that could handle a great increase in the population would be the A55 (and it's always got stupid roadworks along it).
    Therefore I'd propose more access routes / big roads into the North (and other area's of Wales e.g. mid west) making it possible for things like the university / associated businesses to travel there, it would improve the economy in North Wales, also a large road from South to North (probably a motorway) is something that we're in dire need of. Again, more businesses can move up, better links for existing businesses, better flow of wealth throughout Wales. etc etc etc.
    The A470, although it is class is just not sufficient for what's needed in my opinion.
    Thank you, We will make that into a policy

If you're willing to join our party, I'd vote you as our leader
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only a few more members and we can officially establish ourselves as a party
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacCuishy)
    We had an SNP proposed earlier, but that failed.

SO I'd propose sothing like the British Devolution Party or something so you can appeal to a wider audience
    I proposed this idea on the other PC thread.

SNP supporters + Plaid supporters + English Nationalists and maybe even some Irish nationalists.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
    x
    Will definitely be interested
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, We will make that into a policy

If you're willing to join our party, I'd vote you as our leader
    I don't think I've got the like knowledge for it tbh, I'm more of a thinking up idea's kind of guy :P I probably also don't know enough about the goings on on here for it. I'd be willing to learn though.

Another policy I think we should have is that we should have some sort of funding available to make it easier for first time buyers / young people to buy homes.
    There is a major problem in Wales, as in any other country with a large tertiary sector (coming mainly from tourism) in that a lot of the homes that are small enough for first time buyers are bought as holiday homes and lived in for a couple of weeks each year. This drives up the prices on these small houses so that tourists can have their "lovely little cottage in wales for the wettest summer of their natural born lives", some sort of grant for first time buyers would be ideal, even if it's just a small gesture, we need to encourage the young people to set their roots in Wales.
    There are a lot of people I know who have moved away for work / housing, one of my best friends is now in Essex. There just aren't enough opportunities for the younger generation. This would also impact on the language as they'd be taking any potential of having children around the area with them, meaning more Welsh speakers leave Wales.
    This is another reason I agree with improving the quality and quantity of Gorwelion / PSE style lessons in early years. Increase their knowledge and understanding of how to gain work, what opportunities are available etc etc.
    Also I'd increase the number of apprenticeships available, this will give people a greater ability to gain the experience necessary to move into the world of work. Offering small businesses grants to take on apprentices would also help the small businesses, two birds and all that allowing them to expand as they could take on more work.
    I myself am having to move away for university, I hope to come back here and work when I am older but am unsure as to whether it will be feasible a few years down the line. Who knows where I will have set up etc etc.
    Creating more opportunities for the Young within Wales will mean that more people will stay in Wales, thus speaking Welsh etcetc.
    I have a lot of friends at the moment who have young families in the area, the notion of getting a place they could own / rent without having to live with three or sometimes even four generations in a household is something that under the current system is difficult for them, not impossible, however, who wants to make it unattractive to live in an area you were born in due to a lack of work / housing as opposed to other areas.

However, these are all great ideas but funding them would be a hynllef.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any policies on independence?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    I proposed this idea on the other PC thread.

SNP supporters + Plaid supporters + English Nationalists and maybe even some Irish nationalists.
    I like that idea. A coalition of parties who want the UK to break up.

I'm sure there was a TSR version of the SNP at some point, but for some reason or another came to an end.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)
    Any policies on independence?
    I think we should approach it carefully and have it as an end goal, for the moment though gradual devolution as has been happening for the last few years.

I'm not making policies though, that's up to Miracle Day.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've got the like knowledge for it tbh, I'm more of a thinking up idea's kind of guy :P I probably also don't know enough about the goings on on here for it. I'd be willing to learn though.

Another policy I think we should have is that we should have some sort of funding available to make it easier for first time buyers / young people to buy homes.
    There is a major problem in Wales, as in any other country with a large tertiary sector (coming mainly from tourism) in that a lot of the homes that are small enough for first time buyers are bought as holiday homes and lived in for a couple of weeks each year. This drives up the prices on these small houses so that tourists can have their "lovely little cottage in wales for the wettest summer of their natural born lives", some sort of grant for first time buyers would be ideal, even if it's just a small gesture, we need to encourage the young people to set their roots in Wales.
    There are a lot of people I know who have moved away for work / housing, one of my best friends is now in Essex. There just aren't enough opportunities for the younger generation. This would also impact on the language as they'd be taking any potential of having children around the area with them, meaning more Welsh speakers leave Wales.
    This is another reason I agree with improving the quality and quantity of Gorwelion / PSE style lessons in early years. Increase their knowledge and understanding of how to gain work, what opportunities are available etc etc.
    Also I'd increase the number of apprenticeships available, this will give people a greater ability to gain the experience necessary to move into the world of work. Offering small businesses grants to take on apprentices would also help the small businesses, two birds and all that allowing them to expand as they could take on more work.
    I myself am having to move away for university, I hope to come back here and work when I am older but am unsure as to whether it will be feasible a few years down the line. Who knows where I will have set up etc etc.
    Creating more opportunities for the Young within Wales will mean that more people will stay in Wales, thus speaking Welsh etcetc.
    I have a lot of friends at the moment who have young families in the area, the notion of getting a place they could own / rent without having to live with three or sometimes even four generations in a household is something that under the current system is difficult for them, not impossible, however, who wants to make it unattractive to live in an area you were born in due to a lack of work / housing as opposed to other areas.

However, these are all great ideas but funding them would be a hynllef.
    I'm glad you've raised the idea of housing.

The housing system definitely needs reformation!

Perhaps a system where all houses are put on a register, alongside people who fill in a questionaire of their ideal home in order to find matches?

There are also thousands of homes unused in the UK, more so than there are homeless families so I'd also like that fixed!
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Indapendance is something that needs adressing.

Perhaps we could secure an independance but also keep up strong relations with the other countries in the UK? I would like Plaid Cymru to secure full control over it's country, but would still like to have a strong alliance with England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha no
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Indapendance is something that needs adressing.

Perhaps we could secure an independance but also keep up strong relations with the other countries in the UK?
    Perhaps a policy such as 'An economic pathway which will make independence tangible whilst retaining strong links to the rest of the United Kingdom'?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you've raised the idea of housing.

The housing system definitely needs reformation!

Perhaps a system where all houses are put on a register, alongside people who fill in a questionaire of their ideal home in order to find matches?

There are also thousands of homes unused in the UK, more so than there are homeless families so I'd also like that fixed!
    If we're realistic about it though everyone's ideal home would be some sort of Mansion with a lovely view :P
    I don't think that pooling them in that way is the way forward.
    It may be more practical to offer shared accommodation with cheaper rents for people needing it, similar to the idea of charity hostels like those shelter have but available to more people.
    There is also up here (don't know how big it is) a thing called Gisda. It helps young people find housing when they're homeless and faced with unfortunate circumstances. Putting more funding into scheme's like this would be ideal as you'd be helping the young people who need it the most, however again the we need funding thing, maybe we should sell water to England, they are having a drought and that, get some points back for Llyn Cwellyn. Cofiwch Dryweryn bois.
    Basically we're at that point of "there's something wrong with the housing system, but we don't actually have a policy to sort it"
    Anyone else got any idea's?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm not exactly sure what joining a MHoC party entails. I'd join just to give you guys a boost, but I'm not that interested in debating in the MHoC or anything really.

About the Welsh medium university, I'm not sure if that is a good idea. On the outside it sounds great, but it would actually probably cause even more division between Welsh/English speakers and linguistic areas. We need to promote bilingualism, not division. More Welsh language integration into the existing universities I feel would be a better direction. Not to mention we have many problems facing our country at the moment and aren't really in the position to go opening fancy new universities.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I myself am having to move away for university, I hope to come back here and work when I am older but am unsure as to whether it will be feasible a few years down the line. Who knows where I will have set up etc etc. Creating more opportunities for the Young within Wales will mean that more people will stay in Wales, thus speaking Welsh etc etc.
    I'm glad you raised this point. It's a huge issue for Wales, and has featured prominently in the Welsh media several times.

Brain drain alarm as many who study in Wales leave

The reality of Wales’ “brain drain” can be revealed today, with stark new evidence the nation is losing many of its highest achievers.

Wales is a net exporter of university graduates and those who migrate have higher educational attainment, according to the new research.

The report into graduate mobility found that Wales has lower retention rates – with regards to both the proportion of students studying and staying to find work in Wales – than any other UK nation. It said that Welsh graduates who no longer live in Wales are more likely to hold a higher university degree, and a higher percentage of those who leave have more GCSE passes.

Read More
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)
    Perhaps a policy such as 'An economic pathway which will lead to tangible independence whilst retaining strong links to the rest of the United Kingdom'?
    This.
    however I think devolution of law making powers is something that also needs addressing, e.g. because of the way we've devolved so far our NHS system is unaffected by the changes, we have free prescriptions and free hospital parking for all, all this wouldn't be possible if it was just an economic pathway.
    We need more powers devolved to Cardiff, we also need more things devolved from Cardiff to the rest of wales. e.g. this could be part of the economic pathway. more money spreading through the whole of Wales making us stronger as a Country rather than a City with some economic merit and then endless fields and mountains with a couple of bungalows.
    A stronger, united Wales.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)
    Perhaps a policy such as 'An economic pathway which will make independence tangible whilst retaining strong links to the rest of the United Kingdom'?
    I'd rather it be stronger than that. We can fight for each British country to have independance if they chose, but I'd like us to be recognised globally as the 'UK'.. for example during the Olympics etc.

(Original post by Curzon)
    I'm not exactly sure what joining a MHoC party entails. I'd join just to give you guys a boost, but I'm not that interested in debating in the MHoC or anything really.

About the Welsh medium university, I'm not sure if that is a good idea. On the outside it sounds great, but it would actually probably cause even more division between Welsh/English speakers and linguistic areas. We need to promote bilingualism, not division. More Welsh language integration into the existing universities I feel would be a better direction. Not to mention we have many problems facing our country at the moment and aren't really in the position to go opening fancy new universities.
    You have a fair point. It is a long term goal, no rush though.

The Extreme most in the UK can speak English and Welsh, so I do not think it would split it, but instead encourage the language. For example in Anglessey, if we can fully restore Welsh it's likely to cause a chain through Wales, with more and more people actively speaking it with their friends etc..

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.