Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Plaid Cymru needs YOU!

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joemullally)
    Integration of both languages needs to occur, which at the moment means promoting Welsh as there are more English speakers, it's about getting Equal status first before moving up to a more international stage.
    Are Welsh and English not already equal in Wales? I thought both were official languages?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    dwi'n dysgu cymraeg

(I am a dusty cum-rag)
    You at Bangor?
    I'm probably failry near to you :P
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aek-94)
    Are Welsh and English not already equal in Wales? I thought both were official languages?
    They're both official languages, but in my opinion (feel free to disagree) English is seen more as the language of business, a language you have opportunities in as it's more global etc etc.
    So it's seen as advantageous to be better at English.
    We need to provide more opportunities in Welsh so that you aren't forced as a Welsh person to have to use English to get ahead.
    It's about giving the Welsh people the choice.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Officially yes, although you seldom see it being used at all in the private sector. In my idyllic world we'd all grow up speaking both equally, with preference on Welsh.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're both official languages, but in my opinion (feel free to disagree) English is seen more as the language of business, a language you have opportunities in as it's more global etc etc.
    So it's seen as advantageous to be better at English.
    We need to provide more opportunities in Welsh so that you aren't forced as a Welsh person to have to use English to get ahead.
    It's about giving the Welsh people the choice.
    I agree with that totally.

I was just a bit confused on how you worded it.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with that totally.

I was just a bit confused on how you worded it.
    My English isn't the best.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)
    Officially yes, although you seldom see it being used at all in the private sector. In my idyllic world we'd all grow up speaking both equally, with preference on Welsh.
    In an ideal world, the majority of the people in all four of the nations of the British Isles would use native language.

The four nations being England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland of course (Northern Ireland and Cornwall aren't nations in my view).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think maybe we could have a lot to learn from the Scandinavian countries and the Netherlands, whose populations are mostly bilingual, speaking English fluently as well as their native languages. Quite interesting actually, I might go and have a read into this now...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    In an ideal world, the majority of the people in all four of the nations of the British Isles would use native language.

The four nations being England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland of course (Northern Ireland and Cornwall aren't nations in my view).
    I think it's too late for Ireland and Scotland. What's the native language of Scotland anyway; Scots or Scottish Gaelic?

Also - I wouldn't say that about Cornwall, it annoys quite a few Welsh nationalists due to the linguistic connection between Welsh and Cornish (although I'm personally indifferent).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)
    I think it's too late for Ireland and Scotland. What's the native language of Scotland anyway; Scots or Scottish Gaelic?

Also - I wouldn't say that about Cornwall, it annoys quite a few Welsh nationalists due to the linguistic connection between Welsh and Cornish (although I'm personally indifferent).
    Cornish as a language should be promoted in Cornwall, but I doubt Cornwall could become independent. And yes of course, I read somewhere that Plaid support the campaign for a Cornish Assembly by Mebyon Kernow (the Cornish nationalist party).

Also as there's some bilingual signs in Scotland with both English and Scottish Gaelic, I'd presume Scottish Gaelic?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)
    Will definitely be interested
    Hahaha, well, here I am.

I don't honestly know what joining a party in the MHOC would involve, but I guess I'm willing to give it a go. Just don't be surprised if I spend weeks away at a time. My activity on TSR is usually very sporadic.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)

Yeah the Cornish have a language and a flag, although I don't see them as a nation.
    Probably Scots Gaelic tbh, wasn't it more widely used?
    It depends on the region tbf with the languages of other nations from what I know. It'd be a big job for a revival though.

And how are we doing this then? Trying for TSR plaid or TSR independence party?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    All exam boards will be merged into one?
    WJEC is the only exam board that didn't make a massive screw up last year, how would we sort out the English boards incompetence?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16082239
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cornish as a language should be promoted in Cornwall, but I doubt Cornwall could become independent. And yes of course, I read somewhere that Plaid support the campaign for a Cornish Assembly by Mebyon Kernow (the Cornish nationalist party).

Also as there's some bilingual signs in Scotland with both English and Scottish Gaelic, I'd presume Scottish Gaelic?
    You can see the lingual connection right there though.
    Mebyon Kernow
    Meibion Cernyw
    Sons of Cornwall.
    I think devolution of power shouldn't be restricted to nation blocks but eventually become more devolved than that, that's my personal opinion anyway.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the Cornish have a language and a flag, although I don't see them as a nation.
    Probably Scots Gaelic tbh, wasn't it more widely used?
    It depends on the region tbf with the languages of other nations from what I know. It'd be a big job for a revival though.

And how are we doing this then? Trying for TSR plaid or TSR independence party?
    I'd prefer Plaid, as it relates specifically to Wales, rather than the other independentist parties.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)

Aye, Scots Gaelic will probably never achieve revival outside of the Highlands now. There is a very different language situation there, quite incomparable to Wales really. The Irish situation is more similar, but Irish seems to be going the way of the dodo pretty quickly. It would be terribly sad for any of the current living celtic languages to die.

Cornwall is a funny one. Personally, I support their claims of nationhood and I'd like to see devolution there. However a lot of people seem to forget that the Cornish language has actually been dead since the 1800s. The "new" Cornish language is revived, same as Manx - though Manx was revived pretty quickly after its death.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)
    I'd prefer Plaid, as it relates specifically to Wales, rather than the other independentist parties.
    However getting the support seems to be the issue, we're just that little bit short at the moment.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forgot about that one, however at least all our questions were answerable :P
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    However getting the support seems to be the issue, we're just that little bit short at the moment.
    1)Miracle Day
    2)Aek-94
    3)joemullaly (you )
    4)EiffelFlowers
    5)Idris Dragon
    6)Dusty12
    7)Gales (me)
    8)Madders94
    9)Curzon
    10)Kaiser MacCleg

We have 10!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think devolution of power shouldn't be restricted to nation blocks but eventually become more devolved than that, that's my personal opinion anyway.
    I agree with this. :yep:

Even though I'm English, I absolute hate the idea of a 'devolved English Parliament', as it doesn't allow provincial England to escape from the rule of London and the Greater South East. I'd like to see regional devolution in England instead, i.e. to the West Country, the Midlands, the North etc. But anyway, back to Wales.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.