The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: In That Category These Are Nominated - Overrated and Underrated!

Scroll to see replies

Over: Tomato. I like it, I do but why is it the only type I can find that's sold in multipacks? You can find tomato flavours everywhere else e.g. sandwiches, pasta, etc. You don't nee more.

Under: Curried parsnip. the parsnip flavour is subtle and gets perked up with that dash of curry powder. It's easy to make too.

Over and under of condiments...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 881
OVER: MAYO. Mayo on chips, in burgers, in wraps, on salads. Why?! I doesn't really add anything for me. It's too creamy and like...eggy.

UNDER: MUSTARD. Sometimes mustard can be really nice instead of like Ketchup or BBQ sauce or something. A bit of mustard with meat can be lovely. That, or CRANBERRY SAUCE. Everyone hates it, but I really really like it! It's a must for me with roast :biggrin:

OVER AND UNDER OF COOKIE ADDITIONS
OVER: Chocolate chips.

UNDER: Savoury additions like chopped up pretzels or salted peanuts. Sounds gross but don't knock it till you've tried it.

OVER AND UNDER OF WHIPPED CREAM USES?
Reply 883
OVER: ON STRAWBERRIES. jordgubbar.jpg I just find it a bit unexciting as desserts go. Give me a trifle with strawberries and cream, that's great, but just strawberries and cream? Boring. Like single cream and strawberries. Just...meh.

UNDER: Hm. Underrated? I find whipped cream a tad overrated in general. I guess straight from the can doesn't really count? Ok, I'll say PINK MOUSSE WITH WHIPPED CREAM. I have no idea what they are called, but they come in like yoghurt pot carton things, and its like a pink yoghurt/mousse with some whipped cream on top. They may be french? Who knows!

OVER AND UNDER OF CHOCOLATE BAR FILLINGS?
Reply 884
No? Too vague?
Over: nuts,mnot a fan of snickers or dairy milk fruit n nut, prefer something softer
Under: the filling of the Viennese truffle bars from thorntons, my favourite chocolate bar ever..really have to limit myself but having said that haven't had one in years so might treat myself at Easter :smile:

Over and under of types of loaves of bread?
Reply 886
OVER: Warburtons Toastie Sliced White Bread. It's just normal bread, but called 'Toastie'. Marketing scam? I think so.

UNDER: Kingsmill Fruit And Fibre Bread. I love it toasted with just a tiny bit of butter. Tesco do some really good flavours of bread too, like Tesco Finest Cranberry And Orange Bread, or Tesco Finest Sun Dried Tomato And Basil.

OVER AND UNDER OF BROWNIE ADDITIONS
Reply 887
OVERRATED: PEANUT BUTTER.

Peanut butter is getting REALLY old now. Peanut Butter EVERYTHING. We're practically becoming the damned USA. Whilst we put caramel in everything, they put Peanut Butter in, and now we're copying whatever they do. Peanut Butter is a weird substance because it is literally just pasty fat, but it simultaneously dries out your throat. So in a brownie where goo is king, it defeats the purpose. But Nutella and Peanut Butter in everything, right , guys?!

UNDERRATED: BANANA CUSTARD.

It goes so freaking well with Sticky Toffee Pud, right? So why has this not taken off? The above instance even uses Banana Custard Buttercream!! It's a bit like taking our Brit tradition of sticky stodgy cake and custard, and giving it an American spin!

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: GO-TO EASY ONE-POT/ONE-DISH MEALS?
OVER: Tomato Pasta bake. Pasta, jarred sauce, cheese, oven, done. Yeah, it's simple and it's cheap BUT we can't live like Students forever. Move on from this, treat yourselves. With only a tiny bit more effort you could get a much more enjoyable plate of food.

UNDER: I'm gonna give a shout out to the dinner I made today, it was from a "low fat" cookbook which I bought to help my mum as she has bad cholesterol etc. It was a Ham and Vegetable casserole..I used leftover ham that I'd cooked in coke yesterday and then it's simply onions, peppers, tomatoes some sliced potatoes and stock. Stick it all in the one pot and it basically boils away and looks after itself. Really satisfying eats!

over and under of COLD desserts
Reply 889
OVER: Ice cream. It's just so dull. If I'm in restaurant, the last thing I look at is ice cream, because there's like no excitement in it. Sure, it's nice and all, but it's like meh, I could really get this at home. And if you're going ice cream, why not get a sundae?! Add some syrup! Some brownie, some wafer or choco curls. Plain ice cream is a bit of a cop out dessert order in my view.

UNDER: There aren't many actual underrated desserts, even fruit salad get a bit o' hype. I'm gonna say YOGHURT. True, you can't really order this in a restaurant, but most desserts in restaurants are hyped up and highly rated. Sometimes, just a yoghurt for dessert can be really nice, and really refreshing. Like the Weightwatchers Dessert yoghurts - Toffee Apple is really nice - sometimes a yoghurt can be a nice change.

OVER AND UNDER OF HOT-AND-COLD ELEMENTS DESSERTS?
OVER: Meal deal sandwiches! All of them! They're all full of rubbish and saturated fat. Wet, watery veg. Processed meats. ERGH!

UNDER: Meat snacks that aren't processed. They're starting to be more readily available in all the shops. My favourite is the Taste Inc. spicy chicken fillet - I think you can get them at Tesco nowadys

OVER and UNDER of MEAL DEAL SELECTIONS - My two cents, or p haha :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest