Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Progressive Party

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Parties are usually given a week to form and there's been no interest. I have merely pointed this out to Nick and I am not 'keen' to do so as you say. You clearly don't have the support to form this party so it might as well be closed.
    Actually several people have demonstrated interest in forming a new party, and as I said, trying to form parties that don't have RL counterparts is always going to be more time consuming.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Actually several people have demonstrated interest in forming a new party, and as I said, trying to form parties that don't have RL counterparts is always going to be more time consuming.
    It has always been the way that it is left for a week. There isn't any interest in this party and apart from the debate over whether to close the thread, this party thread has died down.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    It has always been the way that it is left for a week. There isn't any interest in this party and apart from the debate over whether to close the thread, this party thread has died down.
    Actually we're halfway to reaching the required number of people - plus, it's not like there's any rush to get there. I said from the offset that this would be a process that wouldn't finish for a while.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Actually we're halfway to reaching the required number of people - plus, it's not like there's any rush to get there. I said from the offset that this would be a process that wouldn't finish for a while.
    They haven't posted here so at the moment, it's just you really.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    They haven't posted here so at the moment, it's just you really.
    They actually don't need too, especially if they're currently members of existing parties. All that needs to happen is for them to let me know, or let me persuade them, and then PM the Speaker when enough of us have coalesced.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    They actually don't need too, especially if they're currently members of existing parties. All that needs to happen is for them to let me know, or let me persuade them, and then PM the Speaker when enough of us have coalesced.
    Then you leave yourself open to said problem. If what you say is true, then fine. If not, then Nick will obviously close the thread. I don't think that you should go around poaching members of other parties either.

(Original post by Metrobeans)
    QFA
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Then you leave yourself open to said problem. If what you say is true, then fine. If not, then Nick will obviously close the thread. I don't think that you should go around poaching members of other parties either.
    Members of other parties are free to make whatever decisions they like - parties don't own them.

Nick can close this thread though doing so would ultimately be pointless - the MHoC isn't exactly a hive of activity at the moment, it's not like the new party threads are pushing more important things down.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Members of other parties are free to make whatever decisions they like - parties don't own them.

Nick can close this thread though doing so would ultimately be pointless - the MHoC isn't exactly a hive of activity at the moment, it's not like the new party threads are pushing more important things down.
    The reason why there is no activity going on is we are in the middle of the Election process.

It is Nick's call to close this thread.

I honestly don't think you have the required 10 members to form this Party.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)

Poaching members of other parties just isn't good practice and agreed, but this isn't going anywhere and usually members who are moving from an old party to a new one declare their intention. The fact that they haven't done so means that it's unlikely that they are planning to move and hence this thread is redundant.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Poaching members of other parties just isn't good practice and agreed, but this isn't going anywhere and usually members who are moving from an old party to a new one declare their intention. The fact that they haven't done so means that it's unlikely that they are planning to move and hence this thread is redundant.
    Moving parties is a fine thing to do - members have free will and a right to choose where they go, leaving one party for another is no act of betrayal. And whatever the informal protocol is I couldn't care less (you really should've already got that). I'll do what the Guidance Document stipulates is necessary for the Speaker to consider a bid for party formation, even if it takes months.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    The post is perfectly relevant, you don't have 10 members, its been a while, metrobeans has every right to close the thread as speaker of the house.

If the thread does get closed, my suggestion would be to attempt at forming a party after the election, when there is likely to be more interest in the party. a lot of new parties are trying to form at the moment, and the majority of people's attention has been diverted to the election thread. I hope it does work out eventually for you regardless of whether i like the party or not, as I think the more parties the better in the house, and this can only be good for overall activity.
    Morgsie was just doing his usual banal parroting.

I will keep on trying to form this - a more pluralised house is a healthier one, as you say.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Moving parties is a fine thing to do - members have free will and a right to choose where they go, leaving one party for another is no act of betrayal. And whatever the informal protocol is I couldn't care less (you really should've already got that). I'll do what the Guidance Document stipulates is necessary for the Speaker to consider a bid for party formation, even if it takes months.
    I didn't say betrayal. It's bad practice to do what you're doing. I have no problem with you forming a party provided that you actually treat people with respect.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I welcome more participation through party creation, but only when these have strong support. This party idea has only gained little support and the thread should be closed. If JPKC wants to launch the party again, he should wait until he is elected as voters may be confused - Independent or Progressive allegiance. You can't be both.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say betrayal. It's bad practice to do what you're doing. I have no problem with you forming a party provided that you actually treat people with respect.
    How is it bad practice? You make these off-the-cuff assertions that never have any foundation. Example: you still haven't said why it's bad for people to switch to new parties... I love how whenever you find yourself down a stream without a paddle you resort to the "respect blah blah blah" ad hom.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    How is it bad practice? You make these off-the-cuff assertions that never have any foundation. Example: you still haven't said why it's bad for people to switch to new parties... I love how whenever you find yourself down a stream without a paddle you resort to the "respect blah blah blah" ad hom.
    I have never said it's bad for people to switch. My problem is people going and poaching members. Please read what I say.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    I welcome more participation through party creation, but only when these have strong support. This party idea has only gained little support and the thread should be closed. If JPKC wants to launch the party again, he should wait until he is elected as voters may be confused - Independent or Progressive allegiance. You can't be both.
    Why do people have so much difficulty differentiating between the simplest of concepts?

The 'independent' part of my candidacy is completely irrelevant. It's a technicality that only relates to the specifics of standing in an election, not (I repeat: not) to the reality of my politics. The electorate vote on the basis of policy.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Why do people have so much difficulty differentiating between the simplest of concepts?

The 'independent' part of my candidacy is completely irrelevant. It's a technicality that only relates to the specifics of standing in an election, not (I repeat: not) to the reality of my politics. The electorate vote on the basis of policy.
    Standing as an Independent purely to jump to a new party is your choice, but people object to it here because it goes against HOC tradition and courtesy to attempt to create a party whilst simultanously standing as an indy. If you were not a candidate, you would not have as many objections.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Standing as an Independent purely to jump to a new party is your choice, but people object to it here because it goes against HOC tradition and courtesy to attempt to create a party whilst simultanously standing as an indy. If you were not a candidate, you would not have as many objections.
    Please be more specific: what harm does it do? (You can understand that I think you and Toronto have put forward some weak arguments so far.)
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Please be more specific: what harm does it do? (You can understand that I think you and Toronto have put forward some weak arguments so far.)
    I really have given up caring about what you think after your insulting episode. Not on.

Come on, your manifesto has some good ideas. Why are you resorting to insulting individuals when you could be attacking policy instead? There's no need for all the personal stuff.
Updated: April 4, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.