Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can universities take back offers?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I want to ring up UCL and ask them about the specific conditions of my offer and possibly negotiate its terms, but I'm scared that my inquiry might be misconstrued as the inability to achieve it, and that they will rescind the offer to give it to somebody else. But then again, I'm probably way too paranoid. Thoughts?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    if they don't mind getting sued
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure unless you punch the admissions tutor in the face they can't/won't withdraw the offer. So you've nothing to lose by phoning up, although I wouldn't expect you'll get very far, I've never heard of anyone getting conditions changed.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think they are allowed to 'take back an offer' but this is only in breach of your 'contract'/breaking your offer conditions.

Asking them about your offer and trying to lower this is completly fine but they will probably just say "no" :L

I tried to do this twice to lower one of my offers but Edinburgh weren't having any of it :L
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it transpires you've lied on your application then yes, for ringing them up to ask a question, no.
    You probably won't be able to 'negotiate the terms' of your offer though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sykg)
    I want to ring up UCL and ask them about the specific conditions of my offer and possibly negotiate its terms, but I'm scared that my inquiry might be misconstrued as the inability to achieve it, and that they will rescind the offer to give it to somebody else. But then again, I'm probably way too paranoid. Thoughts?
    They won't take back your offer if you do that!

Only if they find out you lied on your UCAS form or copied your personal statement or something like that.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, you should be fine. There's no harm in trying to negotiate with them and it may be very beneficial, just don't get your hopes up too much. I certainly wouldn't worry about losing your current offer though.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 22, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.