Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Arguments AGAINST the endosymbiotic theory

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm really interested in the endosymbiotic theory but it is only that- a theory. What are the counter arguments? I've only been able to research points that support it!

Many thanks:yy:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty widely accepted now, which makes it a little difficult to find counter-arguments - but I did find this, which might be useful - it suggests that mitochondria arose in a single eukaryotic ancestor at the same time as the nucleus rather than a series of endosymbiotic events. But it's really more of a variation on a theme than anything else...

There's also a short bit on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endosym...heory#Problems. The first argument against the theory is significantly better than the second though!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenski)
    I'm really interested in the endosymbiotic theory but it is only that- a theory.
    Also research what a scientific theory is. Hopefully then you will get why people like me get annoyed when it is described as 'only' a theory.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah. Sorry to have annoyed you ChemistBoy :confused: what do you mean exactly, what is a scientific theory?

Thanks MadNatSci for those links, very interesting.

I found out today that some people don't believe DNA is a helix..http://www.notahelix.com/, never heard of this idea before, I thought there was significant evidence (in the form of X-Ray crystal something...an analytical method) for it being a helix.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah. Sorry to have annoyed you ChemistBoy :confused: what do you mean exactly, what is a scientific theory?

Thanks MadNatSci for those links, very interesting.

I found out today that some people don't believe DNA is a helix..http://www.notahelix.com/, never heard of this idea before, I thought there was significant evidence (in the form of X-Ray crystal something...an analytical method) for it being a helix.
    I think he's annoyed because you said something about the endosymbiotic theory being just a theory as if that makes some significant difference - all science is, is a collection of theories based on our current level of knowledge and understanding of how things work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about that idea personally, but many of the greatest breakthroughs in science have come when someone challenged a long held belief that most took as fact. Bearing this in mind, I always try to keep an open mind with these things.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildelectricity)
    I think he's annoyed because you said something about the endosymbiotic theory being just a theory as if that makes some significant difference - all science is, is a collection of theories based on our current level of knowledge and understanding of how things work.
    Yeah, I realise that :yy: I was just unaware that it was so widely accepted.

Does anyone know of any other interesting biological theories that are less widely accepted? I guess Evolution by Natural Selection is the obvious one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i find this whole thing confusing, how could a cell hace produced energy without the aid of a mitochondria
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It could only make ATP from Glycolysis (this only yeilds 2 molecules of ATP overall, not very much compared to the electron transport chain which can only occur in the mitochondira) which only needs enzymes.

I think some people say that whithout the endosymbiosis, life would have never progressed as is has.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BouncyB)
    i find this whole thing confusing, how could a cell hace produced energy without the aid of a mitochondria
    Mitochondria provide oxidative phosphorylation - there are plenty of other types of respiration.

If I remember correctly from last year, the original cell was a archaean methanogen? It then acquired the endosymbiont we call mitochondria. Hence this theory explains (as well as many other things) why modern archaeans are more closely related to eukaryotes than they are to bacteria.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou, i understand it now.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildelectricity)
    all science is, is a collection of theories based on our current level of knowledge and understanding of how things work.
    Not exactly insignificant though is it? A scientific theory is not just something that is based on our knowledge it provides a model for us based on the observed data - it is, in fact, our knowledge itself.

Of course the Oxygen catastrophe has to feature heavily in any discussion of endosymbiosis with respect to mitochondria.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Not exactly insignificant though is it? A scientific theory is not just something that is based on our knowledge it provides a model for us based on the observed data - it is, in fact, our knowledge itself.
    Exactly - that's what I meant but it wasn't very clear.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 2, 2006
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.