The Student Room Group

What is the greatest art form?

How would you choose to express yourself given the choice, in an ideal world, what is the best art form?

And, secondly, which is the one you choose in reality, with practical considerations? Why did you choose it and how do you get on with it better?

I am curious, as have dabbled in much creativity but not focused on one method.

I do include photography and interior design in this btw. Even cartography/psychogeography etc.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For me, its performance. A huge portion of it is horribly ****y, but when done right it can be incredibly powerful.
'Greatest' is a stupid question. My preferred is instrumental music. Then other kinds of vocal music and opera. Then poetry/short stories. Then longer prose. Then drama (non-musical stage works). Not really interested beyond that. I like some paintings, but I have failed to develop a real interest in the visual arts in general despite putting a reasonable effort in to acquiring a taste for them. Don't like films much, I prefer live to drama to watching it on screen.

My taste runs to the less direct. Instrumental music has the great combined appeal of being the most abstract of the arts and also the most viscerally powerful. Playwrights, authors, painters etc. create emotion by conjuring scenes. Instrumental music cuts the middle man. Poetry and short fiction tend to create impressions of scenes rather than full scenes themselves, so they rank highly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
The art I have most appreciation to is music. The one I like to express my self through is fine art. I hate the A-level because I cannot express myself but at home I just love it :3
Reply 4
Poetry.
Reply 5
Architecture. Literally living your life in it.
Original post by Chillaxer
How would you choose to express yourself given the choice, in an ideal world, what is the best art form?

And, secondly, which is the one you choose in reality, with practical considerations? Why did you choose it and how do you get on with it better?

I do include photography and interior design in this btw. Even cartography/psychogeography etc.

I've never heard the word "psychogeography" before - thanks for that :yy:.

And as for your question, I couldn't answer tbh. I'm a fan of many different art forms for very different reasons, and so it's so hard to choose just one!
Film! It's a combination of music, images, poetry and performance
I was told today that law is a form of art...
Music. Just because I feel it to be the most expressive. An art form that inspires others and you can pour raw emotion into. And one that everybody can experience (assuming that there aren't people who dont like music whatsoever).
Watching the Hustle on BBC :sogood:
Between music and drawing...
ballet :biggrin:
Music, film, or acting.
Reply 14
Since it is all subjective,

Music mixed with image.
Original post by Reminisce
Between music and drawing...

Agreed
Procrastination.
Original post by Chillaxer

:confused:
Reply 18
Written word, without a doubt. Nothing can move one so utterly and violently as words - to comprehend another's sentiment, thought and emotion, to feel it vibrate in the very core of your own being...well, that's about the most powerful thing imaginable.
music

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending