The Student Room Group

Minimum alcohol price planned for England and Wales - 40p per unit

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
Got a rule implemented because there are some ****tards out there who can't handle their alcohol, thus annoying the responsible types.

**** that.

This.

I'm ****ing sick of the majority suffering for a minority... :mad:
Original post by buchanan700
Anything to help stop binge drinking and excessive alcohol consumption is welcome by me :smile:

Why not put a fat tax on fatty foods then? Overweight people are a strain on the NHS too you know.
Reply 42
Original post by SpongebobSquarepan
What a load of nonsense that is, i'm not the one telling them to chug 10 vodkas down my neck.

Its a shame this argument has clearly gone so far over your head.
Just ban vodka, you'll never catch a chav with a bottle of whiskey.
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Why not put a fat tax on fatty foods then? Overweight people are a strain on the NHS too you know.

They do, it's called VAT. No tax on your veggies, no sirreee. :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
This is an outrage!

HOW CAN I NOW DESTROY MY LIVER AND HAVE THE NHS PAY FOR IT?????

I wouldn't worry about it, the tax on alcohol sales pays for almost a fifth of the entire NHS, never mind just your liver transplant.

If the entire country stopped drinking overnight, the NHS would be ****ed.
Original post by meenu89
What about the majority who drink sensibly?

Ask Boris.
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Ask Boris.

What does he know? :tongue:
Original post by py0alb
Its a shame this argument has clearly gone so far over your head.

It's a shame you talk a load of ****e.

I can't wait to see someone get hammered then start building a home for the homeless.
Reply 49
Well its perfect for giving the impression that something is being done while protecting the income of the alcohol industry and gov. Other than that?
Original post by Electronica
They do, it's called VAT. No tax on your veggies, no sirreee. :smile:

Not quite. VAT is not payable on chocolate covered cakes, for example. See the famous case of the Inland Revenue concerning Jaffa Cakes. :biggrin:

Denmark already implement an additional tax on foods with fat content. Given how fat a lot of MPs are though, I can't see them advocating it. Wouldn't want to double their price of a fry up every morning or their daily Happy Meals by the looks of it.

So why should I eat myself to death on chocolate cakes, clog my arteries, get famous on TV because I'm being stuffed with burgers and chips in hospital, and not have to pay extra tax for it?
Original post by Manitude
Eh...I'll just make more alcohol at home.

Aha this. We can make 28 bottles of win, (albeit not very nice, but ok) for less than £1 a bottle when you weight all the costs together.

The government are clearly using this to get more tax. It will not affect binge drinking in any way. Daylight robbery.

For those idiot sheep who are welcoming this change it is obvious you have problems, as even if you don't drink you would understand this won't affect binge drinking whatsoever.
Reply 52
So under this price tariff the minimum prices for things would go something like this:

Carlsberg (500ml can, 1.9 units): 76p (currently usually around £1)
20 unit bottle of spirit: £8 (currently £10 for something cheap and nasty)

It strikes me that this is probably only really going to increase the costs of things like 2L bottles of dodgy sounding ciders like "white ace".
Original post by the bear
Examples:

Name_____Age___Social Class_____Occupation____Unit price of alcohol

Darren____19________V_____________Lard Packer_______56.2p

Stacey____28________IV____________Moderator________28.8p

Letitia_____77________II____________Authoress________8.1p

Phillip______92________I____________Prince___________3.3p

Harry______27________I____________Prince___________14.6p

Kev_______18________VI___________ Student_________94.4p

Miles______18________III__________Student___________23.6p

This made me smile. The original suggestion it was in response to made me ?! Nice inclusion of the Royals, too :wink:
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Not quite. VAT is not payable on chocolate covered cakes, for example. See the famous case of the Inland Revenue concerning Jaffa Cakes. :biggrin:

Denmark already implement an additional tax on foods with fat content. Given how fat a lot of MPs are though, I can't see them advocating it. Wouldn't want to double their price of a fry up every morning or their daily Happy Meals by the looks of it.

So why should I eat myself to death on chocolate cakes, clog my arteries, get famous on TV because I'm being stuffed with burgers and chips in hospital, and not have to pay extra tax for it?

Ok, cakes are an exception, but on the whole there is a tendency to people paying more on unhealthy products. I am a firm believer in taxing whatever is causing the country to have a problem and it seems that obesity is a very real problem (especially up here in Scotland!). I don't think educating people is enough, some people only see colours and numbers. Fat foods should perhaps be taxed more like you said.

This minimum alcohol pricing legislation is a tax on getting drunk, it is not a tax on drinking. The only things that conceivably will be affected by it is Asda's own vodka and crazy 20% cheap cider immitations. Anyone who drinks alcohol in the correct and safe mindset should not be put off by minimum alcohol pricing. 40p equates to 80p for a cider - it's hardly going to burn a hole in someones pocket.
Reply 55
Original post by SpongebobSquarepan
It's a shame you talk a load of ****e.

I can't wait to see someone get hammered then start building a home for the homeless.

This is not just my opinion, this is the accepted academic position, with decades worth of incontrovertible empirical evidence backing it up.

You might as well be describing the existence of gravity as a "load of ****e", you'd look equally as ignorant and ill-informed.
Original post by Lightnix
So under this price tariff the minimum prices for things would go something like this:

It strikes me that this is probably only really going to increase the costs of things like 2L bottles of dodgy sounding ciders like "white ace".

Battery acid. :biggrin:
Original post by py0alb
This is not just my opinion, this is the accepted academic position, with decades worth of incontrovertible empirical evidence backing it up.

You might as well be describing the existence of gravity as a "load of ****e", you'd look equally as ignorant and ill-informed.

So because gravity is a proven existence this means your right about your statement about alcohol.

Weird.
Original post by Fraga

This.

I'm ****ing sick of the majority suffering for a minority... :mad:

yeah. I appreciate they have to do something, but it's not the right way to do it.
Reply 59
Original post by Lightnix

Yeah, the only effect it will have is for hardened alcoholics to have even less money left over each month to spend on food and rent (if they're not already homeless).

It won't affect me one iota.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending