The Student Room Group

Minimum alcohol price planned for England and Wales - 40p per unit

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by py0alb
What reaction in animals?

:yawn:

Increased aggression in certain individuals.
Original post by curtis871
As well as stocking up it's also stopping groups all putting a few quid in to bulk buy between 10+ of them. There's enough people that can't realistically head to France for the day often enough that they wont loose any money from it.

"The aim is to introduce legislation in autumn after a summer consultation, with the minimum price coming into force in 2014."

from https://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/society/2012/mar/23/coalition-minimum-alcohol-price-40p?fb_source=other_multiline&fb_action_types=news.reads

Original post by I<3LAMP

No problem. I don't know why they're bothering with a consultation when it seems they've already made their minds up though.
Reply 123
Original post by n00
:yawn:

Increased aggression in certain individuals.

eh? I'm not aware of any documented cases of that
Original post by meenu89
What about the majority who drink sensibly?

then this change will hardly affect you
Reply 125
Canada (Alberta) implemented minimum drinking laws a few years back and I don't think it has made much difference. It's much more expensive than what England is proposing as well ($2.75 min for a beer, I think. Not sure about other provinces.) so the only thing that has changed is that people pre-drink much more and you end up spending $100 at a club to get only moderately pissed!!
Original post by heyhey922
then this change will hardly affect you

Bull, there's sensibly and there's sensibly. I'm a student, I and my friends aren't the sort when we drink to get into trouble with the police, get thrown out of clubs, vomit or urinate in public, etc. and neither do I think we drink to the level that we're likely to get liver disease or kidney failure from it. That said, sometimes we do like to have a pre-lash on cheap alcohol, get quite drunk, go out to a club, enjoy ourselves and then wake up the next day with a hangover and a (sometimes mercifully) incomplete memory of the night before. I put it to you that most students fall into this bracket, and I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that, but we are exactly the sort of people this is going to hit.
Anyone who really believes that the Government are doing this purely to curb binge drinking is either placing far too much trust in this Government or is just stupid.

Methinks the Government had big neon pound signs in their eyes when making this change.
Original post by JPDub
Canada (Alberta) implemented minimum drinking laws a few years back and I don't think it has made much difference. It's much more expensive than what England is proposing as well ($2.75 min for a beer, I think. Not sure about other provinces.) so the only thing that has changed is that people pre-drink much more and you end up spending $100 at a club to get only moderately pissed!!

If they're only getting moderately pissed when if it was cheaper they'd be severely pissed then it is working isn't it? I still don't think it's a good solution though.

Original post by Rinsed
Bull, there's sensibly and there's sensibly. I'm a student, I and my friends aren't the sort when we drink to get into trouble with the police, get thrown out of clubs, vomit or urinate in public, etc. and neither do I think we drink to the level that we're likely to get liver disease or kidney failure from it. That said, sometimes we do like to have a pre-lash on cheap alcohol, get quite drunk, go out to a club, enjoy ourselves and then wake up the next day with a hangover and a (sometimes mercifully) incomplete memory of the night before. I put it to you that most students fall into this bracket, and I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that, but we are exactly the sort of people this is going to hit.

Just so you know if it happens it wont be until 2014 apparently so you might not have the excuse of being a student by then :tongue:
Original post by py0alb
The recommendations here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15265317

would be a better idea.

On another note, between 2001 and 2009, increases in prices and the closure of many pubs saw beer sales fall by 18%, and spirit sales increased by 18% as people switched to more cost effective means of getting drunk, leading, rather inevitably, to a 25% increase in liver deaths as the hard stuff took its toll.

So how can we stop this trend? By increasing the price of beer further or course!

Wait, what?
An even more cost effective way is to brew your own beer with a plastic bucket and a cheap beer kit, plus a bag of sugar.
Quick thought. The people who are legally allowed to buy alcohol are adults correct? So maybe, just maybe, these adults should be given the freedom to live their lives as they see fit without intervention by the state. Part of being able to freely make decisions is being able to make poor decisions.

Oh and before people start going on about the drain on the NHS. I'm sure the current tax revenue from alcohol already contributes more than it's fair share.
Original post by Gob Bluth
Aha this. We can make 28 bottles of win, (albeit not very nice, but ok) for less than £1 a bottle when you weight all the costs together.

The government are clearly using this to get more tax. It will not affect binge drinking in any way. Daylight robbery.

For those idiot sheep who are welcoming this change it is obvious you have problems, as even if you don't drink you would understand this won't affect binge drinking whatsoever.

I've not tried wine yet. Only cider, and I can make about 4L for £1-£1.50, the strength varies up to about 12%. I'm more than likely going to invest in a beer brewing kit soon though. I mostly prefer ale to cider.
Reply 132
Original post by curtis871
If they're only getting moderately pissed when if it was cheaper they'd be severely pissed then it is working isn't it? I still don't think it's a good solution though.

I suppose, but most pre-drink though so they're still severely pissed by the time they get to the club. If you intend to get drunk at the club though, you only end up moderately pissed. It's just a pain because drink prices are now double what they were 5 years ago.
The government fail to realise that people spending more on alcohol will mean they have less to spend on other luxuaries such as healthy food. It's not going to stop people living their lives. I will still be getting pissed once a week and drinking a lot before going out, no change there, just the cost. I do wonder how a premium brand bottle of Vodka will be affected by this however. Supermarkets aren't going to price Smirnoff at 40p per unit when they are forced to sell their ****ty own brand at the same price. The same can be said for beer too. So we're looking at further increases on the premium brands just so supermarkets can sell their own brand tripe.

Original post by SpongebobSquarepan
P.S why can't people just go out and have a couple of drinks instead of getting bladdered. Then we wouldn't be in this predicament.

If you're not drinking to get pissed you're wasting alcohol. You may as well have a soft drink and save your liver some damage.
Original post by Sephiroth
If you're not drinking to get pissed you're wasting alcohol. You may as well have a soft drink and save your liver some damage.

This sums up broken britain.

Go and get a bucket of kfc and a fishing rod and save some looney my geordie friend.
Original post by SpongebobSquarepan
This sums up broken britain.

Go and get a bucket of kfc and a fishing rod and save some looney my geordie friend.

Why don't you go smoke a bit of toilet paper while you're at it?
Original post by HighestKungFu
And with you as well Sir Snoberton of Snobville.

Insulting someone's Mother is curious behaviour for a Sensei... you are unworthy to wear a black belt
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 137
Anything that gets those annoying morons clutching WKD/Barcardi Breezers/Stella/Fosters and thinking they're hard off facebook quicker.

No I'm kidding; I'm teetotal so it really doesn't affect me in the slightest.
I personally don't think it's going to do very much apart from affect those who drinks loads and actually can't afford the rise. For the vast majority it seems to me, drinkers will be able to compensate this rise by cutting back from other things if needs be. England is such a 'drinking country' that I have to say it's going be very very hard to change.

Take smoking for example, the cigarettes are sky rocket high in price compared to say a decade ago, and guess what - people still die from smoking! (Ok so numbers might have gone down, I don't know, but I doubt it has made a massive difference) <- do correct me if I'm wrong.

Having said all of this, I welcome the change even though it might not necessarily do that much for anyone other than the government who can now collect more tax perhaps?! (this is another random guess, again please correct me if I'm wrong)

:smile:
I really doubt it's going to stop binge drinking. It just simply means people's bank balance will be much lower. More debt for students. Also if getting drunk starts to cost £15-20 I can see why some people would turn to drugs to get a similar feeling but for less!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending