Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

living with diabetes

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almasy)
    type 2 is simple to cure, just stop eating a load of fat, i cured mine by limiting fat to 30grams a day.
    It's actually carbohydrates that raise the blood glucose levels, because carbohydrates are broken down into sugars in the body. If limiting fat helps you to lose weight then great, but diet-wise fat wont raise blood sugar levels but carbohydrates will. That's why a lot of diabetics follow a low carbohydrate diet. Do you eat a lot of carbs o.p? Reducing the carbs a bit and basing diet more on protein and non-root veg, with smaller portions of carbs might help you control it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden)
    It's actually carbohydrates that raise the blood glucose levels, because carbohydrates are broken down into sugars in the body. If limiting fat helps you to lose weight then great, but diet-wise fat wont raise blood sugar levels but carbohydrates will. That's why a lot of diabetics follow a low carbohydrate diet. Do you eat a lot of carbs o.p? Reducing the carbs a bit and basing diet more on protein and non-root veg, with smaller portions of carbs might help you control it.
    Last i checked fat is broken down into sugar as well... and unlike carbs fat blocks insulin from doing it's work, if insulin aint working due to fat, glucose is stuck in the blood.
    if you're fat enough to can have high blood glucose while starving.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden)
    I tend to eat a lot of rice and pasta. Not in big quantities, but probably 3-4 times a week.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    type 1, maybe not (can't say i've ever cared enough to do any research on that)
    type 2 is simple to cure, just stop eating a load of fat, i cured mine by limiting fat to 30grams a day.

well a 11 year remission due to dietary measures seems pretty good to me.
    sure if i went back to my old diet of lots and lots of fat i'd become diabetic again.
    So you haven't cured it then... All you're doing is managing it, which is what the OP is asking for advice on how to do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modini)
    So you haven't cured it then... All you're doing is managing it, which is what the OP is asking for advice on how to do.
    i eat between 1lb and 2lb of sugar a day, i'd say that's a pretty good indicator it's cured and not managed.
    if i were still diabetic my diet would kill me.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ch1pp0)
    No there are lots of ways to prevent it.
    Sorry, the way the other post was worded it sounded a bit like their family had a genetic history of type 1 but I may have misinterpreted that.

If your family history were to put you in the high risk category:
    If your family have all had type 1 there isn't much you can do to prevent it as type 1 can be triggered by pretty random stuff.
    However, if your family were getting type 2 then there are many ways to prevent/postpone it.
    Ok. Family history puts me in the high category. But in my family, it tends to be type 2.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i eat between 1lb and 2lb of sugar a day, i'd say that's a pretty good indicator it's cured and not managed.
    using a controlled diet can be one way to control type 2 diabetes, you don't always need medication. But you're not cured because your pancreas hasn't suddenly started fully working again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I highly doubt you are eating this much sugar. If you were then it would be 2000-4000 calories a day on sugar alone.

It isn't a cure. However much sugar you do eat, you are having to compensate for it in other areas of your diet.

And if that truly is the amount of sugar that you are eating then yes, your diet is killing you, irrelevant of the fact that you are diabetic (as it would probably be killing any other person).
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

I refuse to believe that you have cured yourself of diabetes, has your Dr confirmed it?.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would you control it? you get diabetes and you cure it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17058665.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	138265

(Original post by thegodofgod)
    Err last time I checked one does not simply 'cure' diabetes
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    My friend has type one and my auntie and teacher have type two diabetes.

Its really easy to live with as long as you control what you're eating, and make sure that you inject yourself with insulin at regular times. Not that bad at all You get used to it, and it just becomes second nature.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Last i checked fat is broken down into sugar as well... and unlike carbs fat blocks insulin from doing it's work, if insulin aint working due to fat, glucose is stuck in the blood.
    if you're fat enough to can have high blood glucose while starving.
    Thanks for the neg!

The reason glucose is "stuck in the blood" in diabetes is that there isn't sufficient insulin available to digest the carbohydrates eaten. Either because in type 1 the pancreas just doesnt make it, or in type 2 where the body makes it, but the insulin resistance means a much larger quantity of insulin is needed to do the same job.

So if you eat lots of carbohydrates you are putting lots of glucose in the blood at once and saying to the pancreas "here you go then, sort that lot". That is the reason for high blood sugars - the pancreas cant do its job! Fat, if eaten with carbohydrates won't "block the insulin from doing its job" at all, it will however slow down the digestion of the carbohydrates. A diet based on protein/veg etc, the body will of course still break it down to get the energy it needs, but there wont be mountains of glucose sat hanging around in the bloodstream waiting to be sorted out.

As for the last bit its nothing to do with "if you're fat enough" at all. Do you realise that before the discovery of insulin type 1 diabetics simply starved to death? The whole reason blood glucose is high without sufficient insulin is that if the glucose is sat around in the bloodstream and the body cant use it for energy, the body will starve. People literally starved to death whilst having high blood glucose, and they would not have been fat at all - starving means they would have lost lots of weight - their bodies couldnt get any energy from the food theyre eating.

This is the reason that eating smaller portions of carbohydrates and more of other nutrients would be better - a diabetics body cant efficiently deal with carbohydrates, it's just not efficient enough at breaking them down for energy and they sit around in the blood stream for far too long, causing high blood sugar. As an insulin dependent diabetic i only take insulin for the carbohydrates i eat, the body can deal with energy from other sources without insulin, so makes sense to me that those are better sources of energy.

Almasy and the OP - have you had a glucose tolerance test?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here is a helpful guide to living with diabetes. try not too worry about it too much, There are ways of making sure you are prepared and in control -
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-guides.html
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Last i checked fat is broken down into sugar as well... .
    I know this is an old post, but no it really isn't!!! I hope you were trolling... just google 'fat metabolism', then google 'carbohydrate metabolism', completely different pathways.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 13, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.