The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Anglia Ruskin University 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rahema
Ive been predicted BCCC, but trying to get at least the C's to B's at the end of AS. so im not sure what to do when it comes to apply for uni. Did you have lots of work experience within the optometry flied.

Not a lot, no. A few days at my optometrist's and then one day with an orthoptist.
If you're predicted BCCC at A-level (not saying you will be, it's dependant on AS results) you'll struggle with getting offers.
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Not a lot, no. A few days at my optometrist's and then one day with an orthoptist.
If you're predicted BCCC at A-level (not saying you will be, it's dependant on AS results) you'll struggle with getting offers.

yeah thats what i was thinking but if i get at least BBBC do think it'll be worth me applying and also im trying to find other routes into optometry like orthoptics, or a foundation year
Original post by rahema
yeah thats what i was thinking but if i get at least BBBC do think it'll be worth me applying and also im trying to find other routes into optometry like orthoptics, or a foundation year

If you get BBBC, you'd probably get offers - I did with worse grades - but ideally you'll want an A at a level in a science to really make it possible to get in.
Reply 23
If you get BBBC, you'd probably get offers - I did with worse grades - but ideally you'll want an A at a level in a science to really make it possible to get in.

yeah thats true. Im trying as hard as i can to try and get an A in Biology or RS but finding Biology hard, and im not sure whether i should drop physics as well so im really confused. but thanks anyway! :smile:
Original post by rahema
yeah thats true. Im trying as hard as i can to try and get an A in Biology or RS but finding Biology hard, and im not sure whether i should drop physics as well so im really confused. but thanks anyway! :smile:

Try really hard for the A in Biology. AR want an A in a science at A-level (at least they did with me). An extra A is a bonus (says the girl who hates biology!).

But yeah. Basically, my offer from AR is ABB to inclue AB from sciences. So basically they want an A in either my maths or biology and a B in my economics, although I imagine if I ended up with an A in economics they wouldn't turn me down (unless everybody else met the offer exactly).

Just wait for your AS results. I can probably help you out more then, because I'll either be into AR or not!
Reply 25
Try really hard for the A in Biology. AR want an A in a science at A-level (at least they did with me). An extra A is a bonus (says the girl who hates biology!).

But yeah. Basically, my offer from AR is ABB to inclue AB from sciences. So basically they want an A in either my maths or biology and a B in my economics, although I imagine if I ended up with an A in economics they wouldn't turn me down (unless everybody else met the offer exactly).

Just wait for your AS results. I can probably help you out more then, because I'll either be into AR or not!

Hopefully you will !!! do you live near AR or will you be living in halls.
Original post by rahema
Hopefully you will !!! do you live near AR or will you be living in halls.

Halls. I don't even live in England, let alone near Cambridge.
Reply 27
Halls. I don't even live in England, let alone near Cambridge.

oh okay. do you mind me asking what you got in biology for GCSE.
Original post by rahema
oh okay. do you mind me asking what you got in biology for GCSE.

A* at GCSE in biology.
Also got A* in Maths, 7As including physics, chemistry and add maths and a B in French. So a fairly science-y based set of GCSEs.
Reply 29
A* at GCSE in biology.
Also got A* in Maths, 7As including physics, chemistry and add maths and a B in French. So a fairly science-y based set of GCSEs.

wow you did amazing in your GCSE !!! :biggrin:
Original post by rahema
wow you did amazing in your GCSE !!! :biggrin:

Fairly average in my school, but I suppose it's okay.
Reply 31
Fairly average in my school, but I suppose it's okay.

lol oh okay get what you mean about schools ! did you ever think about applying to aston for optometry?
Hey guys,
I don't know much about the University itself but I know a lot about the area :smile: it is a nice and peaceful place which has many facilities which I think you'd enjoy!
Original post by rahema
lol oh okay get what you mean about schools ! did you ever think about applying to aston for optometry?

No. Aston's typical offer is AAA. Far too high for me.
Reply 34
Original post by Rhia
Hi everyone :smile:

I'm currently at ARU, so if you have any questions I'll try my best to answer them for you...Though I live at home away from campus, which a is a fair distance, so anything about nightlife, halls or societies will have fairly limited response, sorry. I'll have a go though ^_^

Just out of interest, what have you read about it Ainoaino? :smile:

Hi Rhia,
Currently I have an unconditional offer from ARU to Zoology but i am finding it hard to get some additional information about the degree. Do you know anyone who's taking it? Can you tell me something about the field trips or the optional modules?

would love to go to the open day, but at the moment i am working in Portugal so it is complicated... :s-smilie:

it would be great if you could help me!
xxx
Reply 35
Original post by kmirreh1
Whats the university like?

Well, to start there's the new part of the university, which offers new lecture theatres and facilities (http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/faculties/aibs/about_us/picture_gallery.html), which are great :smile: It's the new International Business School, but other courses are taught in there (like mine ^_^); the rooms are very comfortable to learn in.

There's also a bookshop and stationary store on campus; restaurant, library, Costa coffee are also situated there. I believe the bookshop can order in any book you need if you cannot get it yourself, which is useful. The stationary store also sells printers and laptops too, as well as art materials.

From my experience, lecturers are enthusiastic about their subject and are quick to respond to questions, and are happy to discuss parts of lectures with students after the lecture has finished. It's a supportive atmosphere :smile:

Was there anything specific you would like me to explain about the university? :smile:

Original post by Ari.anne
Hi Rhia,
Currently I have an unconditional offer from ARU to Zoology but i am finding it hard to get some additional information about the degree. Do you know anyone who's taking it? Can you tell me something about the field trips or the optional modules?

would love to go to the open day, but at the moment i am working in Portugal so it is complicated... :s-smilie:

it would be great if you could help me!
xxx

Congratulations on getting an offer :smile:

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who's taking that course. You've probably already seen this link (http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/prospectus/ugft/c300.html); apart from the information there, I wouldn't have much more information.

It may be an idea to phone the university; they may be able to send you an email with more detail about the course, as you wouldn't be able to reach an Open Day. I haven't done this myself though, it's just a suggestion :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Rhia
Well, to start there's the new part of the university, which offers new lecture theatres and facilities (http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/faculties/aibs/about_us/picture_gallery.html), which are great :smile: It's the new International Business School, but other courses are taught in there (like mine ^_^); the rooms are very comfortable to learn in.

There's also a bookshop and stationary store on campus; restaurant, library, Costa coffee are also situated there. I believe the bookshop can order in any book you need if you cannot get it yourself, which is useful. The stationary store also sells printers and laptops too, as well as art materials.

From my experience, lecturers are enthusiastic about their subject and are quick to respond to questions, and are happy to discuss parts of lectures with students after the lecture has finished. It's a supportive atmosphere :smile:

Was there anything specific you would like me to explain about the university? :smile:

accommodation? well i'm talking about the people i heard there were parties going on in the halls of residence is this true?
Reply 37
hey, im currently a first year student in anglia ruskin... and i like the uni, the lecturers are good and helpful. i have 2-3 days lectures and practicals per week. since im doing biomed for the first semester we will do human anatomy and physiology 1 with optometry students. for that module we had 1 assignment and a computer based assessment. a fren of mine is doing opt as well according to him you will be doing more modules in second semester and you do get lots of essays (compared to biomed).
about the english course one of my house mate was doing it (ive changed hall) and he was enjoying the course, lots of self-study or so i heard.
As far as accommodation goes most of them are close to uni (peter taylor and anastasia) so you can always wake up late i guess ...Assuming you guys are applying to cambridge campus.. the halls (bridget and nightingale) are bit far from uni but 2mins from town centre. the night life in camb is gud (i dont go out that much) although at the beginning i remember ppl complainig about the steep prices for drink.. there is whetherspoon, the snug, revolution and loads of pub. the city is awesome but getting a place to live is difficult so you shud apply quick..
Reply 38
Original post by Plimbu
hey, im currently a first year student in anglia ruskin... and i like the uni, the lecturers are good and helpful. i have 2-3 days lectures and practicals per week. since im doing biomed for the first semester we will do human anatomy and physiology 1 with optometry students. for that module we had 1 assignment and a computer based assessment. a fren of mine is doing opt as well according to him you will be doing more modules in second semester and you do get lots of essays (compared to biomed).
about the english course one of my house mate was doing it (ive changed hall) and he was enjoying the course, lots of self-study or so i heard.
As far as accommodation goes most of them are close to uni (peter taylor and anastasia) so you can always wake up late i guess ...Assuming you guys are applying to cambridge campus.. the halls (bridget and nightingale) are bit far from uni but 2mins from town centre. the night life in camb is gud (i dont go out that much) although at the beginning i remember ppl complainig about the steep prices for drink.. there is whetherspoon, the snug, revolution and loads of pub. the city is awesome but getting a place to live is difficult so you shud apply quick..

Hey! thanks for the advice! i have got a place at the Anastasia house :smile: I'm just worried about living there. i hear so many horror stories about the accommodation and how people throw up in the sinks and dont clean themselves up afterwards! it is true at this uni?
Reply 39
Original post by kmirreh1
Hey! thanks for the advice! i have got a place at the Anastasia house :smile: I'm just worried about living there. i hear so many horror stories about the accommodation and how people throw up in the sinks and dont clean themselves up afterwards! it is true at this uni?

lol.. i dont want to offend anyone but yes living in a hall can be a nightmare sometimes! i had some wonderful experiences people above me used to dance during the nigh (i was in first floor) and people below me would shout after getting drunk. once i was shocked when i open the kitchen door same with toilet door .. it was covered in vomit... and sm ppl just leave the dishes in the sink..
but depending on the type of ppl it might be fun or a complete nightmare! i found it troublesome to do my work bcoz sm ppl wud play their music really loud so i worked on the uni computer room (loads of computer and the good thing it is open most of the days 24hrs)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending