thanks for telling me this! i am no longer going to uni :smile:
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by kmirreh1
thanks for telling me this! i am no longer going to uni :smile:

is it bcoz of wat i said? its not as bad as it seems smtimes it might b fun ... i personally cudnt cope with it and decided to move
Reply 42
Original post by Plimbu
is it bcoz of wat i said? its not as bad as it seems smtimes it might b fun ... i personally cudnt cope with it and decided to move

Yes it was! I know I won't be able to cope plus I'm miles away from home and I have a bad relationship with my patents so if it was really bad I won't tell anyone let alone my patents. Plus I'm the oldest and non of my family relatives have left home do I will have no support and personally I don't think I have matured enough to cope with society today let alone the lazy people i have to deal with on a daily basis
Its a personal thing don't worry about it you just made me relise that I would never be able to cope at all! At least I know now not when I'm there :smile:
Original post by Ainoaino
Well with quick google search I found some news about the school having problems with some students, who didn't feel like they were getting the education they paid for.

Then some threads where people say things like "a degree from Anglia Ruskin? You'd be better with no degree at all" and ****.

Somehow I feel like findind negative feed back and experiences from the school is the easiest thing ever, but then reading the good experiences is really hard! Like I just cant seem to find them anywhere :smile:

Anyway, do you have any knowledge of the English lit & writing course in Anglia Ruskin? :smile:

I will be one of the above. I wasted my time here I loved the students, but the tutors have no time for you, the building work at the time was dreadful to work through, and the amount of times things in exams came up we hadn't even discussed was unreal. There was a lot of 'self directed study' (you will learn to hate this saying very soon) but no advice as to what we should be self directing ourselves to study.

I was not happy here and so many of us didn't go back after our 2nd year. I'm at Bedfordshire now for social work, after the hell we had finding placements. My friend did Bioscience, shes now at the UEA and another one of our original college Access group has moved to Adult Nursing at UEA due to hating it.

Having a degree that says ARU does put you behind. I'm sorry to say it but people are snobs and it has never had the best reputation. I hope this is changing, but we spoke to a photography graduate who was laughed out of an interview for holding a 'Mickey Mouse degree'. Lets hope that's changing as with all the 'self directed learning' going on over there, you work harder for your degree.

Now there are people who stay, a lot of moaning going on over there still, however now the building work is done, that's one less thing to worry about. I loved the canteen, I loved the feeling of the place and I loved the students (when we weren't moaning lol). Other than that there wasn't much positive things going on for me, I felt I wasted a year of my time.

Fullborn seems better organised, COWA is a nightmare site stay away, and Peterborough always seem to be having technical problems (but it is a new build, so what new place doesn't)

I personally say do your homework before firming. Some courses have no problems at all and the design lot love it where they are apparently. Speak to people who have done the course you are planning to do to gt a real picture. I can only tell you about the lark over at the Social Work side, but it is worth digging as deep as you can.
Reply 44
Original post by Hermione_moo
I will be one of the above. I wasted my time here I loved the students, but the tutors have no time for you, the building work at the time was dreadful to work through, and the amount of times things in exams came up we hadn't even discussed was unreal. There was a lot of 'self directed study' (you will learn to hate this saying very soon) but no advice as to what we should be self directing ourselves to study.

I was not happy here and so many of us didn't go back after our 2nd year. I'm at Bedfordshire now for social work, after the hell we had finding placements. My friend did Bioscience, shes now at the UEA and another one of our original college Access group has moved to Adult Nursing at UEA due to hating it.

Having a degree that says ARU does put you behind. I'm sorry to say it but people are snobs and it has never had the best reputation. I hope this is changing, but we spoke to a photography graduate who was laughed out of an interview for holding a 'Mickey Mouse degree'. Lets hope that's changing as with all the 'self directed learning' going on over there, you work harder for your degree.

Now there are people who stay, a lot of moaning going on over there still, however now the building work is done, that's one less thing to worry about. I loved the canteen, I loved the feeling of the place and I loved the students (when we weren't moaning lol). Other than that there wasn't much positive things going on for me, I felt I wasted a year of my time.

Fullborn seems better organised, COWA is a nightmare site stay away, and Peterborough always seem to be having technical problems (but it is a new build, so what new place doesn't)

I personally say do your homework before firming. Some courses have no problems at all and the design lot love it where they are apparently. Speak to people who have done the course you are planning to do to gt a real picture. I can only tell you about the lark over at the Social Work side, but it is worth digging as deep as you can.

So did you do social work at this uni?? That is what I'm going to do! :'(
So did you do social work at this uni?? That is what I'm going to do! :'(

yes. However I hear that after the total mess up they had with placements in our year, I hear they didn't have too many last second placements this year (except my friend doing a MA in Cambridge, who found out her placement 3 days before hand)

Also we have this new thing this year, The whole program changed last year and from September this year its not regulated the same as it was, so its all change again (this isn't ARUs fault btw lol it's the whole of England) so the program I studied there will not be the same for you. I hated the one I did, it was dull as dish water, but that WON'T be the one your doing due to the change.

The rooms were ok, the lighting wasn't great upstairs. The new lecture hall wasn't there when I was there, just lots of plastic sheets and 'coming soon' signs. But my friend Vicky is a Psychology lecturer there and says its fabulous in there.

With Social Work we would turn up and other classes would be in our rooms. We had so many last second room changes, meaning we would miss half an hour of a lecture, or if you were late, trying to find where we had moved to, it was 1 hour off a lecture. Erm VLE was updated rarely, very few slides put on before lectures, staff never having time to see you, favoritism (lots of that going on) and the noise off the road, in summer is dreadful as its busy out there, and your rooms are at the front top of the building.

HOWEVER, you have a massive Primark 10 mins away :smile: the Slug and Lettuce is the place to eat and the park is full of topless young men in the sun.
Reply 46
yes. However I hear that after the total mess up they had with placements in our year, I hear they didn't have too many last second placements this year (except my friend doing a MA in Cambridge, who found out her placement 3 days before hand)

Also we have this new thing this year, The whole program changed last year and from September this year its not regulated the same as it was, so its all change again (this isn't ARUs fault btw lol it's the whole of England) so the program I studied there will not be the same for you. I hated the one I did, it was dull as dish water, but that WON'T be the one your doing due to the change.

The rooms were ok, the lighting wasn't great upstairs. The new lecture hall wasn't there when I was there, just lots of plastic sheets and 'coming soon' signs. But my friend Vicky is a Psychology lecturer there and says its fabulous in there.

With Social Work we would turn up and other classes would be in our rooms. We had so many last second room changes, meaning we would miss half an hour of a lecture, or if you were late, trying to find where we had moved to, it was 1 hour off a lecture. Erm VLE was updated rarely, very few slides put on before lectures, staff never having time to see you, favoritism (lots of that going on) and the noise off the road, in summer is dreadful as its busy out there, and your rooms are at the front top of the building.

HOWEVER, you have a massive Primark 10 mins away :smile: the Slug and Lettuce is the place to eat and the park is full of topless young men in the sun.

So do you think, as a past student, I should go to this uni? It sounds soo bad! I'm seriously contemplating on whether to go to uni anyway but you know more than I do about this uni than I do! Please give Me your HONEST OPINION BECAUSE I REALLY NEED IT!!
So do you think, as a past student, I should go to this uni? It sounds soo bad! I'm seriously contemplating on whether to go to uni anyway but you know more than I do about this uni than I do! Please give Me your HONEST OPINION BECAUSE I REALLY NEED IT!!

Why are you going there? is it close to where you live etc?

Honestly, it's difficult because a lot has changed in 2 years. However if you have other uni options, review those. BUT if you are bound to this uni then go.

I say go and do it. If you go knowing all the bad points I don't think you will have any surprises. No uni is perfect, Bedfordshires canteen is rubbish, and student just don't talk to each other here, it's not as friendly, but the course is better. Now you could put that down to the course change? It's difficult to tell.

But your advantage over me is you don't have the middle aged overweight sweaty men walking around and making so much noise, you can't hear the lecture lol. The room issues were put down to the building works, so if that is true that shouldn't be an issue. The qualification is not going to be viewed as a lesser degree as it is the same course as everywhere else now and finding jobs afterwards seems not to even be an issue.

Read before you go (I still have the old reading list if you want it), expect the issues and join BASW and The College Of Social Work. Also check out Community Care as they have a great student forum. Just be prepared and stay a step ahead.
Reply 48
Why are you going there? is it close to where you live etc?

Honestly, it's difficult because a lot has changed in 2 years. However if you have other uni options, review those. BUT if you are bound to this uni then go.

I say go and do it. If you go knowing all the bad points I don't think you will have any surprises. No uni is perfect, Bedfordshires canteen is rubbish, and student just don't talk to each other here, it's not as friendly, but the course is better. Now you could put that down to the course change? It's difficult to tell.

But your advantage over me is you don't have the middle aged overweight sweaty men walking around and making so much noise, you can't hear the lecture lol. The room issues were put down to the building works, so if that is true that shouldn't be an issue. The qualification is not going to be viewed as a lesser degree as it is the same course as everywhere else now and finding jobs afterwards seems not to even be an issue.

Read before you go (I still have the old reading list if you want it), expect the issues and join BASW and The College Of Social Work. Also check out Community Care as they have a great student forum. Just be prepared and stay a step ahead.

i'm going there because i kinda had no choice to go to! to me it just seemed better than the other university but i must of been mistaken! this university seem much more welcoming as well then my last one but that maybe just me :smile:

if that is okay please give me your old reading list i want to know EVERYTHING! i feel right now that i have just made the biggest mistake of my life!! :frown: thank you for telling me this :smile:
wow haven't you emailed them about it

No I mean I got an acknowledgement email to say they've received my accommodation request, but they sent an email today to say they're not confirming accommodation places until after Easter. That's what I meant by "not heard from them yet" etc.
Original post by rahema
lol oh okay get what you mean about schools ! did you ever think about applying to aston for optometry?

Aston typically offers AAA for Optometry. At AS I got AABD (in Psychology, Biology, English Lit and Physics respectively) and was predicted A*AB (in Psychology, Biology and Physics respectively) and still got an offer, despite predicted B in Physics! I'm having Aston as my final 2 choices :smile:

(btw I've since re-sat the D and got a high B :smile:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Yes it was! I know I won't be able to cope plus I'm miles away from home and I have a bad relationship with my patents so if it was really bad I won't tell anyone let alone my patents. Plus I'm the oldest and non of my family relatives have left home do I will have no support and personally I don't think I have matured enough to cope with society today let alone the lazy people i have to deal with on a daily basis
Its a personal thing don't worry about it you just made me relise that I would never be able to cope at all! At least I know now not when I'm there :smile:

sorry to bother again .. but its likely to be same in other unis as well .. so the best option for you will be to choose en suite accommodation (so you dont have to share toilet) and accommodation in which you need to share your kitchen with less ppl ... prices might increase..
Reply 52
Original post by Rhia
Well, to start there's the new part of the university, which offers new lecture theatres and facilities (http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/faculties/aibs/about_us/picture_gallery.html), which are great :smile: It's the new International Business School, but other courses are taught in there (like mine ^_^); the rooms are very comfortable to learn in.

There's also a bookshop and stationary store on campus; restaurant, library, Costa coffee are also situated there. I believe the bookshop can order in any book you need if you cannot get it yourself, which is useful. The stationary store also sells printers and laptops too, as well as art materials.

From my experience, lecturers are enthusiastic about their subject and are quick to respond to questions, and are happy to discuss parts of lectures with students after the lecture has finished. It's a supportive atmosphere :smile:

Was there anything specific you would like me to explain about the university? :smile:

Congratulations on getting an offer :smile:

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who's taking that course. You've probably already seen this link (http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/prospectus/ugft/c300.html); apart from the information there, I wouldn't have much more information.

It may be an idea to phone the university; they may be able to send you an email with more detail about the course, as you wouldn't be able to reach an Open Day. I haven't done this myself though, it's just a suggestion :smile:

thank youu :biggrin:

That is a very good ideia Rhia. Thank you! if you get any information about the degree please let me know xxx
Reply 53
Original post by britchick
No I mean I got an acknowledgement email to say they've received my accommodation request, but they sent an email today to say they're not confirming accommodation places until after Easter. That's what I meant by "not heard from them yet" etc.

Same here! although i'm really worried, as i keep checking the "available rooms" link (or whatever it is! :P ) and it has gone from there being some rooms left at Sedley Court (my preference) to being full, within a few days of me applying and i still haven't heard from them? how long has it taken others to hear back?

also, is there anyone else applying for Illustration and or Animation ? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jasminem-j
Same here! although i'm really worried, as i keep checking the "available rooms" link (or whatever it is! :P ) and it has gone from there being some rooms left at Sedley Court (my preference) to being full, within a few days of me applying and i still haven't heard from them? how long has it taken others to hear back?

also, is there anyone else applying for Illustration and or Animation ? :smile:

Hmm that's a good point, I don't know how quickly they'd process it all! But I guess if you applied when the uni was still advertising places left, and these places remained advertised for a few days after your application, you're probably safe :smile:

Edit: and I think they'll be getting back to everybody within a week or two :smile:
Hey,

Im to be a fresher in Sept 2012- i'm doing DRAMA (BA) accepted a place and will be living in sedlely court had my tenancy agreement through etc..

Ill be moving from kent! anyone else staying in flat 15a Sedley?
I just got my tenancy agreement and will be staying at Sedley court 12c. Is anyone else going to be living here?
Reply 57
Hi!!Ohmigosh so thankful that I won't be living in sedley court alone!
Original post by jaszj
Hi!!Ohmigosh so thankful that I won't be living in sedley court alone!

Original post by IzzyPittaway
I just got my tenancy agreement and will be staying at Sedley court 12c. Is anyone else going to be living here?

Original post by MiaHeathcote
Hey,

Im to be a fresher in Sept 2012- i'm doing DRAMA (BA) accepted a place and will be living in sedlely court had my tenancy agreement through etc..

Ill be moving from kent! anyone else staying in flat 15a Sedley?

Been offered 29b, myself, so I'll probably be miles away from you all (don't know how it's laid out) but we should be nearby enough. :smile:

But honestly? Annoyed, it was my eighth choice accomodation. :/
Reply 59
Hey everyone
I couldn’t find an Anglia Ruskin thread so I made one! I just got a conditional offer! I was soo happy
Is anyone else going to this university? Or had a conditional place here?

Also has anyone heard from accommodation?

Congrats!! Yh I got a conditional offer too in November I think ... I just joined the SR so yh me a newbiee..got your accommodation sorted out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending