The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Anglia Ruskin University 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littlehippiegirl
I'll be going from Colchester. I don't drive though so I'll have to get the train, for now at least - I don't mind the journey (love trains and travelling!) but I checked out the fares for season tickets and they're horrendous, really doubting how much my student loan will be able to cover...!

Hmm, as you said, that's gonna be a long journey and very expensive even if you get a season ticket. :eek: Do you know how much you getting from SLC?

How are you planning on travelling to Cambridge (via London or via Stansted?)
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Anyone staying at CB1 accomodation?
Seems like I'm the only one atm lol
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
Hmm, as you said, that's gonna be a long journey and very expensive even if you get a season ticket. :eek: Do you know how much you getting from SLC?

How are you planning on travelling to Cambridge (via London or via Stansted?)

I know how much I'll get in total but not how it'll be broken down across the three semesters. I've been to uni before, briefly, so I have a vague idea (and I'll get more this time) but it's still worrisome when I have bills to pay too! According to all the train ticket websites I can go from Colchester to Ipswich and from Ipswich direct to Cambridge. Ipswich is only 20mins away and then Cambs is an hour and 20 from there. I really don't mind sitting (or probably standing!) on a train, I like books and my iPod - it's the fact that for 3 months, which is less than a full semester, it'll cost over £1000. Trying to find out if there's anything the uni can offer to reduce that a bit! Failing that, a friendly fellow student to drive me :lol:
Original post by littlehippiegirl
I know how much I'll get in total but not how it'll be broken down across the three semesters. I've been to uni before, briefly, so I have a vague idea (and I'll get more this time) but it's still worrisome when I have bills to pay too! According to all the train ticket websites I can go from Colchester to Ipswich and from Ipswich direct to Cambridge. Ipswich is only 20mins away and then Cambs is an hour and 20 from there. I really don't mind sitting (or probably standing!) on a train, I like books and my iPod - it's the fact that for 3 months, which is less than a full semester, it'll cost over £1000. Trying to find out if there's anything the uni can offer to reduce that a bit! Failing that, a friendly fellow student to drive me :lol:

For me personally, I found that my daily commute (bus to Stansted then train to Cambridge and walk to uni and doing it in reverse going home) made me resent other people, who were living closer or on campus and those walking or cycling in. I say that cos, most of that time commuting stopped me from being productive academically. I had to wait until I got home 1:30 hrs later before I could study or do assignments, etc. The train I travelled on were always busy and noisy, so I couldn't really be productive on my way home. Which meant I lost 3hrs a day compared to other in terms of productivity. And this is when the trains were running without problems...I had many occasions where trains were delayed or cancelled and I got stuck either at Stansted or in Cambridge and having to find alternative ways to get where I needed to be or just wait until the delays were over. In the spring and summer months, its ok, but during winter its no fun.

If your classes start late and you can travel off peak, then also get a rail card (student), then you cost will be lower. I had to travel in peak times, so couldn't get the cheaper tickets, so opted for a 3 month season ticket at a time (even if I didn't go in every day) and saved about 20% on daily fares. The National Rail website has a season ticket calculator which can help work out costs.

Is there no way that you can move closer?...the cost is gonna kill you and the commute its fun, especially after the novelty has worn off. Spending 3.6hrs commuting (round trip) will be tough, even if you just sitting or standing on a train. I'm not saying it can't be done. You clearly seem up for it. But its just bearing in mind you'll have to do this for 3yrs.

I travelled for 4yrs to Cambridge and come this Sept I'll be travelling to west London for my research Masters....Stansted to Tottenham Hale then tube onwards.:eek: This time I don't have to worry about working on the train, as most of my work will be done in the lab during office hours (hopefully). I should be the last one to talk hey.
I have a railcard but you can't use it for season tickets and if I buy a ticket every day I need one, assuming I have 9am lectures - or even 10-11 - I'll have to travel during peak time & it'll still be £30+ a day. I can't really move closer because my fiance works here - we can't afford to move on his wage alone, for a start, and the further away we are, the more it'll cost him in fuel to drive to work. I've sent a message to student services hoping they can offer some advice - I'm clearly not the only person who's ever been a commuter, they must either have something to offer or know of other commuters.

Unfortunately my uni choices for the course were limited to Anglia Ruskin or London - either way there's a commute, and as much as London might have been more beneficial (shorter commute, higher loans) the courses just didn't appeal as much as ARU. And none of them have given me an offer!
It is very difficult. What course are you going to be doing again at ARU? Did Essex uni not offer it locally?

I had the same limitations when I applied for my degree course...I had to consider my partner and her work, travel time and money considerations.

I don't want to be negative, but I don't think ARU would be able to help you out financially. They are strapped for cash, like most other uni's due to funding cuts. I have a friend who is a single mom from King's Lynn, Norfolk who studied with me and she had an even worse financial situation and ARU didn't (or couldn't help her). They do have something called the hardship fund, but I don't know anything about it. You'll have to enquiry from them.

Your best bet is to try and find someone to car share with once you at uni...that may be your best and cheapest option.
I'm going audio & music tech, essex uni don't have anything like that & neither do Ipswich/Suffolk or the Institute.

I was just wondering if there was anything to replace the travel bursary the lovely government have just abolished - that would've helped me SO much in actually getting to uni. I've asked about sample timetables to try and figure out how much time I'll actually have to spend on campus & how much of my travelling will be during peak hours. The uni has a car share service I've just discovered on their website so as soon as I get my login details from them I'm going to have a look at that. My fingers have never been so crossed!
Oh, ok.

There's no short answer for any of this, is there. I hope it all works out for you and you find a workable solution. Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful.

Keep us posted on your efforts. Sharing is good.

Best of luck.
Thanks for your advice :smile:
Reply 89
Hiya :smile:
I've firmed Optometry at Aru, and got accomadation at The Forum! Super Hyped about it now :biggrin::biggrin:
Wasn't even going to look at Anglia ruskin; wanted to go to Cardiff, but thouht it was worth a look - firmed the day after I visited = lovely :biggrin::biggrin:
Wup wup!
Everyone phyced? :smile:
Reply 90
I am going here WAHOO
got a conditional for optometry!!!
Original post by Ishtiaq
I am going here WAHOO
got a conditional for optometry!!!

You mean you're going provided you get the grades, like everyone else. :P

But yeah. Seems there's a lot of us on this thread doing Optom provided grades work out.
Reply 92
Aruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
You mean you're going provided you get the grades, like everyone else. :P

But yeah. Seems there's a lot of us on this thread doing Optom provided grades work out.

Hopefully i get the grades lol. just gota work hard and hope for the best!
Reply 94
Original post by britchick
Oh nice one! Yeah I went last Feb for the open day, absolutely loved it. Cambridge is such a lovely area as well. Didn't get to see the accommodation though, did you? And I've applied for Optometry (and I'm told Peter Taylor is near the visual sciences block woo :biggrin:) how about you?

No I didn't get to see the accomadation either. Got shown where it was though. It looked nice from the outside at least! :biggrin: It is ridicolously close to the library/classes/facilities etc. It's virtually part of the Lord Ashcroft building! Peter Taylor seemed the one to get full first - so it's must be ok!

Any other Peter Taylor's??
Original post by Baylo1
Hiya :smile:
I've firmed Optometry at Aru, and got accomadation at The Forum! Super Hyped about it now :biggrin::biggrin:
Wasn't even going to look at Anglia ruskin; wanted to go to Cardiff, but thouht it was worth a look - firmed the day after I visited = lovely :biggrin::biggrin:
Wup wup!
Everyone phyced? :smile:

Hey:smile:
I'll be staying at the Forum too:smile: I'm going to study Forensic science with a foundation year:smile: What flat are you staying in?
Reply 96
Ive got a room at cb1 doing psychology :smile: anyone else staying there/doing that? :smile:
Original post by Baylo1
Aruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! :smile:

I thought I was the only one who did that :biggrin:
Reply 98
Haha, I've got my unconditional offer (after my IELTS test results) and firmed my ARU choise. Now I've realised I have nowhere to live next year. Didn't realize I could of applied for accomendation before I had my unconditional offer! Anyone here have any suggestions as of what to do now? I don't wanna move from Finland to UK and have nowhere to live haha.
Reply 99
Original post by Ainoaino
Haha, I've got my unconditional offer (after my IELTS test results) and firmed my ARU choise. Now I've realised I have nowhere to live next year. Didn't realize I could of applied for accomendation before I had my unconditional offer! Anyone here have any suggestions as of what to do now? I don't wanna move from Finland to UK and have nowhere to live haha.

If you look on either of these websites under cambridge you'll be able to find lettings in the area or other types of accommodation that is available,

www.crm-students.com

www.crm-limited.co.uk

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending