Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do i know if i will enjoy economics at uni?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My school doesn't offer economics a-level. I however, regularly read the economist and am interested in politics and current affairs and political and economic history and have also go the grades and am good/enjoy maths a lot.

Is this any indication that an economics degree is right for me? If i like discussing current affairs and am interested in things like how the 2008 financial crises, will i enjoy an economics degree?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nanopker)
    My school doesn't offer economics a-level. I however, regularly read the economist and am interested in politics and current affairs and political and economic history and have also go the grades and am good/enjoy maths a lot.

Is this any indication that an economics degree is right for me? If i like discussing current affairs and am interested in things like how the 2008 financial crises, will i enjoy an economics degree?
    It certainly sounds like you would enjoy an economics degree. You've basically answered your own question there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy-moron Prodigy)
    It certainly sounds like you would enjoy an economics degree. You've basically answered your own question there.
    I know, but i wasn't if enjoying current affairs and reading the economist was necessarily a good indication that an economics degree was the right way to go.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It definitely sounds like it's the right choice for you. Something else I'd suggest considering is how much you enjoy maths, especially if you're looking at applying to one of the top universities -- economics courses in any of the "top 15" tend to be quite mathematical.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nanopker)

Economics at A level is quite different to degree level economics - At A level, there are a lot of data response and essays, so you basically learn the principles (which you will cover again in university anyway), whilst at degree level, you have more of a balance between essays and maths.

You do sound like the type of person who will enjoy it, so I'd say go for it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes, maybe politics as well

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 27, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.