Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Young English people of today - don't like!

Announcements Posted on
The News & Current Affairs and Society forums need more moderators! 20-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nail head hit.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right on.

However, I wouldn't say I've lost hope in the generation. Rather, I'm quite happy that they're mediocre - it makes it clearer to see the remarkableness of those not so mediocre people.

As for alcohol, I really am interested in the psychology behind why so many of our young people binge and drink it (notwithstanding the usual peer pressure/group acceptance doctrine.) Any thoughts anyone?

I myself don't drink - I've been easy-going and social since very young due to a social and responsive family and friends back then - I don't need any amount (even small) of ethanol to make me 'relaxed'. I don't even drink coffee for goodness' sake!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good to see there are some people out there who seek something deeper life.

I'm not against people drinking alcohol, having sex of even taking drugs. But it means different things to different people and it influences people in different ways. For me I could go out drinking or whatever but I know that much more important is to value my relationships with people (love life, family, friends etc) But for alot of people drinking (chasing opposite sex, drugs, facebook, the only way is essex etc) is who they are ... it defines their existence and they live their life without using their conscience whatsoever. Sheep mentality in order to fit in. Gosh it's sad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)

I'm not against people drinking alcohol, having sex of even taking drugs. But it means different things to different people and it influences people in different ways. For me I could go out drinking or whatever but I know that much more important is to value my relationships with people (love life, family, friends etc) But for alot of people drinking (chasing opposite sex, drugs, facebook, the only way is essex etc) is who they are ... it defines their existence and they live their life without using their conscience whatsoever. Sheep mentality in order to fit in. Gosh it's sad.
    Something deeper... what is this deeper thing you speak of?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)

(Original post by lambert1)
    Bolded in his quote.

However this is something that materialistic people will always fail to understand. (not talking about you lambert as may have taken this personally haha)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gintoki)
    Bolded in his quote.

However this is something that materialistic people will always fail to understand. (not talking about you lambert as may have taken this personally haha)
    Relationships? Where do I find these?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't begrudge other people for having fun. Nothing wrong with drinking, smoking, doing drugs and having casual sex for a few years. You don't get the moral high ground just because you want to be boring.

Of course young people like to follow the crowd. We evolved to be a pack species, humans would have died out if they didn't instinctively stay together.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looking at life and approaching your life in which you seek to find meaning. Meaning could be fulfilling your relationships with loved ones or to do something which doesn't fit into the routine that most people here get stuck into .... the pursuit of money/casual shameless sexual relations/living life with no conscience of self awareness or self respect etc. Seeking to find something of real value that really makes life worth living and can bring pure joy.

Having a perspective on life where you appreciate and value people, nature, the world and all it brings and all of that being the centre of your motives, ambitions and the centre of what makes you happy. Knowing there is so much of the world to see, so many people to meet, so many things to do, so many things to learn, so much joy to be had in so many different ways, wanting true love, seeking to find meaningful deep friendships and of course to have happy family relations etc But most people don't have respect for people/the world ... and just PURSUE hedonistic, empty activities. The key word is PURSUE. I don't judge people for what they do ... but for many it defines them and shapes who they are but for others they see the bigger picture.

That's how I see it anyways.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Don't begrudge other people for having fun. Nothing wrong with drinking, smoking, doing drugs and having casual sex for a few years. You don't get the moral high ground just because you want to be boring.

Of course young people like to follow the crowd. We evolved to be a pack species, humans would have died out if they didn't instinctively stay together.
    How am I taking the moral high ground? This is so typical of the response of someone who probably is similar to the type of person I'm talking about. I never said I was better than anybody else. If you read my post word for word, you will find I never said anyone who drinks/has sex is BAD ... I didn't imply that whatsoever. If you re read my post you will find that's not my point.

I'm just talking about human issues. I'm questioning why young people especially, don't want to respect life for its real value. That value being much more deep and meaningful than what most choose to seek in life.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    How am I taking the moral high ground? This is so typical of the response of someone who probably is similar to the type of person I'm talking about. I never said I was better than anybody else. If you read my post word for word, you will find I never said anyone who drinks/has sex is BAD ... I didn't imply that whatsoever. If you re read my post you will find that's not my point.

I'm just talking about human issues. I'm questioning why young people especially, don't want to respect life for its real value. That value being much more deep and meaningful than what most choose to seek in life.
    The implication of your post is that certain lifestyles are good and certain lifestyles are bad. This is a subjective judgment, so I don't think its possible to say that my lifestyle is any more or less meaningful than someone else's lifestyle. As long as its not hurting me, others can live as they wish.

I also think there is plenty of time for all the serious stuff. Even when someone reaches 40 they still have more than half their life ahead of them. I don't think sex/drugs/drink as a young person really matters.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    The implication of your post is that certain lifestyles are good and certain lifestyles are bad. This is a subjective judgment, so I don't think its possible to say that my lifestyle is any more or less meaningful than someone else's lifestyle. As long as its not hurting me, others can live as they wish.

I also think there is plenty of time for all the serious stuff. Even when someone reaches 40 they still have more than half their life ahead of them. I don't think sex/drugs/drink as a young person really matters.
    Yes it's lifestyle but it's not just about the style of your life but rather what it means. 'Lifestyle' is only external. So you are right ... good lifestyle and bad lifestyle is a subjective argument. But if it's just lifestyle, then everything is based on external value. This is exactly what I've been going on about ... young people ONLY thinking about the external. I don't have a problem with people and whatever they parttake in. But for most it seems that the external side of them is their makeup, and they have little on the internal side. So drinking and having sex is not a problem as such ... but some SEEK those types of activities without thinking about their internal self. Some people have no conscience, no concept of right or wrong and little in the way of think before you act. Some people will go out 2 nights a week, every week and look to shag any thing and for many people they can't see beyond this kind of lifestyle. It defines and shapes them as beings. They spend their late teens and their 20's going out getting pissed and shagging the opposite sex and then they have this idea that they are getting old and therefore it's time to settle down (or so they say!) That attitude in itself shows little in the way of internal thought .... instead it typifies someone who sees life externally. They believe this will bring them happiness but external things don't bring true happiness in the long run. Just momentary ego boosting situations.

So what I'm trying to say is that many peoples' lifestyles revolve only around their external self. They will even think that they have a girlfriend/boyfriend and are happy but in 90% of cases it's not true genuine love and they aren't really happy.

Fundamentally it's about seeing the bigger picture and realising that the greatest joy(s) in life are to be had when you pursue your internal desires. But most choose to seek and lead a life of externally driven activities.

I do think it is possible to say that certain lifestyles are less meaningful than others. Life isn't just a blank canvas ... there is right & wrong. Using your conscience to guide you through your life. You might say your lifestyle is just as meaningful ... but your lifestyle might be driven by your external desires. Driving a ferrari might be fancy but it won't make you genuinely happy. And true happiness is the greatest thing on this earth. So therefore your lifestyle is less meaningful because you choose to seek a life based on your external wants, which doesn't lead to happiness/or fulfilling ones internal needs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quite a good post considering how tired the op was when writing this topic (although she could have lied about the situation but I'll take their word.), agreed with all the points made in this topic.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heeck)
    Quite a good post considering how tired the op was when writing this topic (although she could have lied about the situation but I'll take their word.), agreed with all the points made in this topic.
    I'm a bloke actually lol. Just prone to the odd trollage every now and again
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    Looking at life and approaching your life in which you seek to find meaning. Meaning could be fulfilling your relationships with loved ones or to do something which doesn't fit into the routine that most people here get stuck into .... the pursuit of money/casual shameless sexual relations/living life with no conscience of self awareness or self respect etc. Seeking to find something of real value that really makes life worth living and can bring pure joy.

Having a perspective on life where you appreciate and value people, nature, the world and all it brings and all of that being the centre of your motives, ambitions and the centre of what makes you happy. Knowing there is so much of the world to see, so many people to meet, so many things to do, so many things to learn, so much joy to be had in so many different ways, wanting true love, seeking to find meaningful deep friendships and of course to have happy family relations etc But most people don't have respect for people/the world ... and just PURSUE hedonistic, empty activities. The key word is PURSUE. I don't judge people for what they do ... but for many it defines them and shapes who they are but for others they see the bigger picture.

That's how I see it anyways.
    I still don't understand what you are trying to say. What do you mean appreciate and value people? Why would I value you someone I can't even see? How do I see this world or meet these people? How and where do I get this stuff you speak of?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As an Brit in Canada, I hate to inform you that it's the same everywhere.
    I've basically removed myself from all social interactions because I just can't relate to anyone at school, nor do I care to.

In my ignorance, I thought that university would brimming with passionate and interesting individuals, but I'm just faced with the same old repetitions. Really unfortunate.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I still don't understand what you are trying to say. What do you mean appreciate and value people? Why would I value you someone I can't even see? How do I see this world or meet these people? How and where do I get this stuff you speak of?
    By opening your mind
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree. I think I'm going to take up my friend's advice and take my own virginity before I end up "giving" it to the wrong person ¬¬
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    By opening your mind
    But my mind isn't closed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think too many younger develop or are taught rather BS life concepts. As an example, most young UK people are very ego-driven, and expect everybody to bend to them and acknowledge them.

That said, some of this natural, since younger people of all types of humans can be very boisterous and superficial.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tudball)
    As an Brit in Canada, I hate to inform you that it's the same everywhere.
    I've basically removed myself from all social interactions because I just can't relate to anyone at school, nor do I care to.

In my ignorance, I thought that university would brimming with passionate and interesting individuals, but I'm just faced with the same old repetitions. Really unfortunate.
    Have you joined any clubs/societies based on what you are passionate about?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 10, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.