ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

Current stats
    Squats: 105x5x3
    (Incline) Bench: 40x5x3
    Deadlift: 100x5
    OHP: 30kgx5x3
    Power clean: 55x3x4

My OHP hasn't improved for weeks. My incline bench has stalled and my gym has no proper bench press.

Should I leave SS and try something else? Maybe a 4-day split?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How much are you eating? If you started with low bodyfat, has it increased a little?

Reset the weights that have stalled by 10%, and go for max reps on the third set. Drop the second day's back squat for a front squat. See how you go from there.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    squat higher than deadlift? are you hitting depth with your squat?
    How much are you eating and sleeping? I'd bet good money that you could be eating 1000 more calories, and your lifts would be going up again, because you're nowhere near maxed out linear gains from SS
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hurr Durr)
    Hey everyone.

Current stats

My OHP hasn't improved for weeks. My incline bench has stalled and my gym has no proper bench press.

How much do you weigh, how much did you weigh when you started?

Even if you're very light, you should be able to get more out of at least the DL on SS. But if you're not enjoying yourself in the gym, no harm in doing something different. If you move onto a 4 day split, make sure it's one with sensible exercise selection.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    OHP is just one of those really annoying exercises. Mine was stalled on 30 for a few months and only recently it started moving up. For me it was a combination of poor technique and not enough protein. Go spend half an hour on youtube looking up technique pointers and cues.
    For me, it's moving up now, though not 2.5kg every OHP workout. One thing I've found to help with OHP (might help with bench well), is to train for reps rather than weight increases. So next session do 32.5 5,failure,failure (failure being below =<5) and then the one after go for 5,5,5. That might still be a bit fast but adapt it for yourself.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    OHP is just one of those really annoying exercises. Mine was stalled on 30 for a few months and only recently it started moving up. For me it was a combination of poor technique and not enough protein. Go spend half an hour on youtube looking up technique pointers and cues.
    For me, it's moving up now, though not 2.5kg every OHP workout. One thing I've found to help with OHP (might help with bench well), is to train for reps rather than weight increases. So next session do 32.5 5,failure,failure (failure being below =<5) and then the one after go for 5,5,5. That might still be a bit fast but adapt it for yourself.
    I don't understand this.

Do you mean that he should increase the weight and just do as many reps as he can? So it might end up doing 4, 3, 2 or something similar? Then maybe next workout he will manage 5, 5 and 5?

If so then I agree. Sometimes this happens with my OHP and my Bench.

And OP; a gym without a flat bench? You should change gyms at the earliest opportunity.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    I don't understand this.

Do you mean that he should increase the weight and just do as many reps as he can? So it might end up doing 4, 3, 2 or something similar? Then maybe next workout he will manage 5, 5 and 5?

If so then I agree. Sometimes this happens with my OHP and my Bench.
    Yep that's what I mean.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was under the idea that you do SS until your Squat doesnt improve after a reset... well that's my aim.

Also, are you doing the lifts correctly? Correct form can boost your numbers significantly.

Also you really need a flat bench... maybe change gym if possible?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    noone should move from SS....it is a great achievement

120, 120?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    While this subject is going...

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for the linear progression to end? I'm talking a rough estimate.

I planned on doing SS for 6 months and I'm 3 months into it. Although I've heard in some cases people doing SS for a year.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

Current stats

Id say keep on doing SS. Ill say deload.

Next time you do ohp go for 38kg and make sure you get all 5/5/5 before moving on.

This went well for me.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for the linear progression to end? I'm talking a rough estimate.

I planned on doing SS for 6 months and I'm 3 months into it. Although I've heard in some cases people doing SS for a year.

Do it until you've squeezed all the gains from it. It you stall- deload.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

Yeah as long as you can. Intermediate programs won't increase your strength as quickly as they're designed for people who take more to recover.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Yeah as long as you can. Intermediate programs won't increase your strength as quickly as they're designed for people who take more to recover.
    You mean intermediate strength programmes?

Interesting point if so. Is it advisable to go onto an "intermediate" bodybuilding-style regimen following SS. I'm guess not because strength training and mass gain training are not exactly a million miles from each other.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the SS was an evil organization in Nazi Germany headed by Heinrich Himmler, Herr Flick's godfather.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

Current stats

Are all these weights including the bar (i.e. around 20kg)?

30kg for the Press is a low weight to be stationary on and 40kg for the Bench is lower than you could be at. If your diet, protein intake and technique is on point, then you either need to ensure that you're pushing yourself as hard as possible to squeeze out those reps, resting properly and ensuring you at least try upping the weight and getting some sets done with the 2.5kg increase (even if you drop back to the previous weight or a 1.25kg increase to complete the sets) or you need to consider adding some accessory exercises to help strengthen the muscles used in the exercises.

The bench is often a case of technique. Making sure you pin the shoulders back, get an arch in the back and pull your feet in as much as possible can make a difference.

You could still gain a lot from SS.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You mean intermediate strength programmes?

Interesting point if so. Is it advisable to go onto an "intermediate" bodybuilding-style regimen following SS. I'm guess not because strength training and mass gain training are not exactly a million miles from each other.
    Yeah. I'm guessing most people would be pretty strong after SS which means there's a massive amount of options. Personally I'm planning on either doing a bodybuilding routine but with all the big compounds as well, or something like crossfit. And nah you're right, any lifting styles like bb or powerlifting would still increase strength, just to different degrees.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 25, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.