The Student Room Group

I have no friends

I literally have no good friends here, everyone I know is an acquaintance at best. It is starting to drive me nuts.

When I text people to meet up, they either don't get back to me, or even if they are doing something do not tell me their plans. Hence, as a result, feel very lonely.

My only other good friends are in other parts of the world or in the UK.

I don't know how to rebuild my social life. Given the nature of my work, I work from home, so I don't have an office culture of such.
Reply 1
You need to go do things, get yourself into a situation where you will be doing things that mean you will be spending some time with the same people quite often. By doing that the gap between acquaintance and friend bridges itself easier. Go join a sport team, do cookery classes, volunteer or something like that
I'm the same. Ah well, que sera sera I suppose.
Reply 3
Original post by BKS
You need to go do things, get yourself into a situation where you will be doing things that mean you will be spending some time with the same people quite often. By doing that the gap between acquaintance and friend bridges itself easier. Go join a sport team, do cookery classes, volunteer or something like that

Perfect advice. Do this, OP, to combat loneliness.
I agree with joining clubs. I'd suggest this over volunteering (if your aim is to make friends) because a lot of volunteer work is undertaken by either young people looking to get some experience / something to write on their CV and a lot only do this for a short period of time, and older people that want to do some good to the local community.

You're also more likely to have more in common if you pick a hobby you enjoy (such as a sport for example) rather than volunteer work.

If possible you could try getting a job where you work with others, or at-least in a company / organisation where you're dealing with people on a day to day. If you're a pretty confident person anyway, then ignore this, but if you're shy it would definitely help you boost your confidence.

Best of luck
Original post by Anonymous
I literally have no good friends here, everyone I know is an acquaintance at best. It is starting to drive me nuts.

When I text people to meet up, they either don't get back to me, or even if they are doing something do not tell me their plans. Hence, as a result, feel very lonely.

I don't know how to rebuild my social life. Given the nature of my work, I work from home, so I don't have an office culture of such.

Where are you from OP? I dont have many people I can consider true friends either.
Reply 6
Where are you from OP? I dont have many people I can consider true friends either.

London you?
London you?

Never mind, its quite far :frown:
Reply 8

Hi OP , I'm from London too so you can pm if you like :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending