The Student Room Group

A-Levels for medicine

In year 10 and just wondering what I could do for A-Levels to get into Medicine.

My thoughts are:
Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.

I want to do another subject like English Lit/Lang but I'm not too sure about it.

Is this a good choice for medicine? (Providing I get the required results)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well you dont need English obviously, but you could do it - people normally do 4 A-Levels anyway :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Josh_Dey
In year 10 and just wondering what I could do for A-Levels to get into Medicine.

My thoughts are:

I want to do another subject like English Lit/Lang but I'm not too sure about it.

These aren't bad, however it looks good to have three lab-based subjects or two and maths. It depends how your maths is, but personally I would consider taking maths in place of English :smile: but in answer to your question: those will probably be okay.
Reply 3
Obviously biology and chemistry are a must, but I'd reccommend maths instead of psychology as its more respected, and lit rather than lang for the same reason. Med schools do like you to have an arts subject so yeah English would be a good choice :smile:
Reply 4
You should be fine with those three/four (if you take English lit/lang). Unless you were planning on applying to Cambridge - I hear some colleges (one, as far as I know) require you to have 3 Maths+science A levels.

As for taking Maths, if you're not confident in making the grades, I'd suggest you don't bother with taking it. It's better to have 3 As in bio+chem+psychology than have AAB in bio+chem+maths.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by :)ella
Obviously biology and chemistry are a must, but I'd reccommend maths instead of psychology as its more respected, and lit rather than lang for the same reason. Med schools do like you to have an arts subject so yeah English would be a good choice :smile:

Biology is not a must, it is just good to take as it means you can apply to more universities

I don't think that the majority of med schools want you to have a more creative subject like English; most don't mind what your fourth subject is as long as you've met their criteria for the other three
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Aquar
Biology is not a must, it is just good to take as it means you can apply to more universities

I don't think that the majority of med schools want you to have a more creative subject like English; most don't mind what your fourth subject is as long as you've met their criteria for the other three

Even if biology isn't specified by a university, few people apply without it. And again, they don't mind about your 4th but having English keeps your options open as some med schools (eg Glasgow) DO want it and many others will see it as a positive thing. Plus, the OP suggested English so I don't see how encouraging them to do it is a bad thing!
Reply 7

My thoughts are:

Bio, chem, psychology, and english lit/lang are all absolutely fine, don't listen to anyone who says you need maths! Medical schools have way more relevant things to assess you on than the 'prestige' of your subject choices. There are only one or two Cambridge colleges that want three maths/science subjects, so apart from that, as long as you have biology and chemistry, you're all set :smile: Good luck!

(I'm hopefully starting at medical school in September, grades permitting)

Original post by :)ella

Everywhere is different; some places like a 'contrasting' subject, but most places don't care. Nowhere 'respects' maths more than anything else.
Reply 8
Original post by Kidneyjean
Everywhere is different; some places like a 'contrasting' subject, but most places don't care. Nowhere 'respects' maths more than anything else.

I meant more than psychology.

But obviously if you think you'd get a better grade in psych then do that.
Reply 9
As a matter of fact, biology isn't necessary for a lot of places. I didn't take biology and I'm at med school now. But it's true that most people have it. You normally need chemistry + 2 other "science" subjects, which enclose biology, chemistry, or maths. Then most people also have a 4th A-Level, relevant or not.
Most universities did not consider psychology as a science when I applied (1 year ago). But, there is no harm in doing that. Normally med applicants have 4 A levels. This is not to mean you cant get in with 3. However, since it is more of a competition, having four A levels help.
Reply 11

My thoughts are:

Hmm.. There seem to be a whole range of replies there.

Universities have started looking into making 4 AS subjects a requirement, so you should definitely look into that. Chemistry is a must at almost all universities and Biology has to be taken to at least at AS level to meet entry requirements. (There are one / two exceptions to this but I'm talking about majority of the universities here)

The 3rd and 4th subject choices don't matter as long as it isn't Critical Thinking or General Studies. Some universities will require you to have 3 science-related A levels tho. Psychology may or may not count depending on the university so you should email them to clarify.

Here is a useful site you can use alongside the TSR Medicine Wiki to help you narrow down your options.

Hope that helped. :h:

My thoughts are:

Go with Lit or psych. You don't need maths, it's a myth. 3 A levels or 4, do what's best for you. You'll be accepted with 3As over 2As and 2Bs.
Reply 13
Original post by Vulpes
Hmm.. There seem to be a whole range of replies there.

Universities have started looking into making 4 AS subjects a requirement, so you should definitely look into that. Chemistry is a must at almost all universities and Biology has to be taken to at least at AS level to meet entry requirements. (There are one / two exceptions to this but I'm talking about majority of the universities here)

The 3rd and 4th subject choices don't matter as long as it isn't Critical Thinking or General Studies. Some universities will require you to have 3 science-related A levels tho. Psychology may or may not count depending on the university so you should email them to clarify.

Here is a useful site you can use alongside the TSR Medicine Wiki to help you narrow down your options.

Hope that helped. :h:

I think that site may be useful when I reach my A-Levels and get my predicted results but it looks really useful! It might seem weird but I still haven't received my predicted GCSE grades..
Thanks
Reply 14

My thoughts are:

Those subjects would be fine, but from my experience, if you have thefeeling you might want to study medicine in the future, make sure you work for 12 or 13 A* at GCSE as I've been through 2 application cycles for medicine & the fact that i had 7A* & 6As was the only limiting factor to me not gaining a place. It will come back to haunt you, so do yourself a favour :wink:

However, seeing as these all tie in to a scientific subject base, I would reccomend the english lit to at least AS level, if not as a fourth A level too. Also I would suggest you get involved in team sports (demonstrates teamwork & communication) and start looking for voluntry work with disabled children, as nothing looks better in the voluntry work dept, trust me!
Definitely stick with psychology; it's the funnest subject ever!

You'll also love the biological and psychopathological aspects of it.
Original post by HillyJR
Those subjects would be fine, but from my experience, if you have thefeeling you might want to study medicine in the future, make sure you work for 12 or 13 A* at GCSE as I've been through 2 application cycles for medicine & the fact that i had 7A* & 6As was the only limiting factor to me not gaining a place. It will come back to haunt you, so do yourself a favour :wink:

Just to point out, this is bull. The most GCSE nazi med schools don't require 12/13A*. Oxford requires a high percentage, Birmingham requires 8, and St. George uses your best 8, too. And those are schools that put an emphasis on them. Many other schools don't. Apply to Newcastle, Durham or Sheffield with a very high UKCAT score and you're going to get an interview.

Read around TSR and you'll frequently see that you have to tailor your individual applications to the med schools you have the greatest chance with.
Reply 17
Do not do psychology. It's not respected, and it's not a science.

You must do chemistry, I'd very strongly recommend biology, and then do either maths or physics as an extra science subject, preferably both.
Original post by GeneralOJB
Do not do psychology. It's not respected, and it's not a science.

You must do chemistry, I'd very strongly recommend biology, and then do either maths or physics as an extra science subject, preferably both.

Ignore this. All three of the people in the row behind me did psychology at A-level. It's fine. Psychology is a perfectly legitimate third/fourth option. Maths and Physics are not obligatory medicine subjects regardless of the general urban myth. Many, many med students do third/fourth options that are not Maths or Physics and aren't disadvantaged.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Definitely stick with psychology; it's the funnest subject ever!

You'll also love the biological and psychopathological aspects of it.

Not sure if serious or just being sarcastic? :confused:

lol :P I've heard that psychology is a long and strenuous subject (not that it would deter me from doing it)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending