The Student Room Group

How hard are these A-lvels. Are they bearable?

Scroll to see replies

Honestly? A levels are what you make them. If you work hard, you'll do fine :smile:
But, one thing I would advise (from my own mistakes!) is do what your good at: not what you feel you should do! I find written subjects much easier, yet i took 1 written subject and 3 not! And, it is difficult because I have to put that little bit more effort into the other 3 subjects... But, don't stress :smile: Just prepare :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by babyjustin
I'll give you some advice:

Firstly History requires a lot of time - reading lots of books, writing lots of essays. You may want to re-think this choice [unless you are good at essays!]
Secondly: DO MATHS TO A-LEVEL - you need it to get into basically every university course and it will be very useful to you even if you do history to university.

babyjustin

Not sure I agree. I take history and it's more than manageable as long as you do revision throughout the year and make sure you understand exam technique and content equally as both are important to make your grade. I've heard maths A level is really hard, and no, you don't need it to get into 'every university course' although, obviously for a maths or medicine degree it's fairly useful... :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by em807
Not sure I agree. I take history and it's more than manageable as long as you do revision throughout the year and make sure you understand exam technique and content equally as both are important to make your grade. I've heard maths A level is really hard, and no, you don't need it to get into 'every university course' although, obviously for a maths or medicine degree it's fairly useful... :smile:

I'm doing History at GCSE at the moment. I don't think it's that hard once you know how to recall , but what's History AS like? Are you on AS or A2? People who want to do History at AS do not nescessarily have to at GCSE I hear does AS pretty much repeat GCSE?
Original post by alexsasg
If you're going to do something sciency after uni then I'd advise that you take Maths too, at least to AS. One of my friends took Bio, Chem, History and English (so quite similar to you) and in Year 13, decided that she wanted to do something science-related at uni. However, she told me that apparently the only science-related course she could (and would) do without Maths A-level was Nutrition and Dietetics, which is what she's applied to do now. So just bear in mind that you might need Maths!

That's not true. I've offers for Chemistry doing bio and chem to A2.
Reply 44
Original post by L_Vieru
I'm doing History at GCSE at the moment. I don't think it's that hard once you know how to recall , but what's History AS like? Are you on AS or A2? People who want to do History at AS do not nescessarily have to at GCSE I hear does AS pretty much repeat GCSE?

Currently I'm on my A2 :smile: I'd say that a History GCSE is pretty key to the AS course but the content I covered differed significantly from GCSE (but that will vary according to your exam board and the options you sit). Under Edexcel I studied Crime and Punishment and Germany at GCSE, but at AS I studied Women's Rights in Britain and China which was culturally a very different unit looking at Communism, Mao, Civil War etc.

In terms of the skills you use and the structure of the exam it is fairly similar, but with most humanities subjects you do recycle and build upon your pre-existing skills. For History these centre around forming coherent arguments, evaluation, analysis, looking at and interpreting evidence critically (i.e. aware of reliability and utility and how these are affected by bias and context) etc. So in that sense it is fairly similar and the exams I have sat involved essays, both with and without source material to interpret and use to support your points. But obviously at AS and A2 your analysis needs to be more complex, subtle with more extensive content and a greater depth of knowledge and understanding required.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by em807
Currently I'm on my A2 :smile: I'd say that a History GCSE is pretty key to the AS course but the content I covered differed significantly from GCSE (but that will vary according to your exam board and the options you sit). Under Edexcel I studied Crime and Punishment and Germany at GCSE, but at AS I studied Women's Rights in Britain and China which was culturally a very different unit looking at Communism, Mao, Civil War etc.

In terms of the skills you use and the structure of the exam it is fairly similar, but with most humanities subjects you do recycle and build upon your pre-existing skills. For History these centre around forming coherent arguments, evaluation, analysis, looking at and interpreting evidence critically (i.e. aware of reliability and utility and how these are affected by bias and context) etc. So in that sense it is fairly similar and the exams I have sat involved essays, both with and without source material to interpret and use to support your points. But obviously at AS and A2 your analysis needs to be more complex, subtle with more extensive content and a greater depth of knowledge and understanding required.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks for that :smile: I really appreciate it.
Good luck with A2 :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by notnerdylikeyou
what ever you do mate don't "chill out" or else you defo will retake.hit the ground running really.i now have to retake my jan exams (physics and business) because i got an u and e.

Snap!
Original post by amber109
Snap!

for shizzle my nizzle!
Reply 48
I take biology and chemistry :smile:
Biology I find harder at AS because it is all memorising stuff and I don't have the best memory. I got a B in it at GCSE and I got a D (1 mark off a C) in the Jan exam so I am resitting!
Chemistry is now my current favourite subject and I love it and am considering taking it on to university level. I got a low C in it at GCSE and I got a B in my Jan exam and am hoping for an A or B at the end of a levels :smile:
I didn't find the jump too overly difficult but the exam style is a lot stranger and pickier, I say if you enjoy the subjects you will do well in them!
Original post by L_Vieru
I am choosing A-level Biology, Chemistry, History and most likely, Economics.

Right now, at GCSE, I am at an A in Biology, A* at Chemistry, A at History.

At GCSE level, I cannot say I find Biology and Chemistry easy. It's not one of those things I can get around the first time. History, I'm quite fine with.

I am aware that GCSE-> A level is a huge jump, but how huge is it exactly? Is it unbearable, because all I ever hear is "Ive failed my A levels" "They're too hard, I'm failing"
I'm getting quite concerned because I don't know what's coming, and It's affecting my work at school. The colleges arent that helpful either, they just "advertise" how friendly the environment is.

I am considering on taking Biology and Chemistry further at A2 and maybe even History. I am not going any further than AS with Economics.
Should I be worried? Is it very, very hard, and should I start work on A-levels now?

* I can't resit my A-levels if I fail. I have to get it right the first time, which is why I'm worried

GCSE -> A-level is not a huge jump. It's just the same in the sense that you continue to learn stuff you didn't know before, just as you did from yr 10 to 11. The only difference is in the style of work you need to do at home - not homework, but your own structured revision and study.

From what I've heard, chemistry is quite easy. Biology is a lot of work and also apparently very difficult. History is also quite difficult and a bit unpredictable when it comes to your results. Economics, though, is easy :smile: because it's a new subject the AS is a nice introduction rather than a grilling on advanced level stuff. You can't even think about deciding which subjects you're going to take on at A2 - that's something you'll know at the end of year 12. You could easily end up taking economics - I thought i would just do the AS, but it was a new subject, I ended up loving it and now I'm applying for a degree in it.
Reply 50
History is totally bearable. Do it if you like it, can remember stuff and have some grasp on basic grammar and structure of essay writing. Biology is also ok if you're willing to work. Chemistry is the hard one, only do it if you love it and are an A/A* candidate at GCSE, it leaps up at AS and even top students struggle with the concepts and applications. I'm sure if you're willing to work you can keep it on, but if all you need is great grades in traditional subjects, i'd steer away from chemistry. Good Luck :smile:
Reply 51
Whoever said chemistry is quite easy is lying!! I got an A* and GCSE and a B in my january exam, but that didn't come without a lot of work! I put in a lot less work for maths and physics and got A's. I think a large number of people in my college would tell you that chemistry is hard.
Not to put you off.. it's definitely do-able if you get an A* at GCSE, it will just require more work that other subjects in my opinon :-)
Reply 52
Original post by kathryn123
Whoever said chemistry is quite easy is lying!! I got an A* and GCSE and a B in my january exam, but that didn't come without a lot of work! I put in a lot less work for maths and physics and got A's. I think a large number of people in my college would tell you that chemistry is hard.
Not to put you off.. it's definitely do-able if you get an A* at GCSE, it will just require more work that other subjects in my opinon :-)

Thanks for that :smile:
I hear from a lot of people that Chemistry isn't easy, and I understand why after I heard the stuff people have cover.
It's pretty crazy, and the thought of having to think of setting up my own experiment scares em
Reply 53
Original post by L_Vieru
Thanks for that :smile:
I hear from a lot of people that Chemistry isn't easy, and I understand why after I heard the stuff people have cover.
It's pretty crazy, and the thought of having to think of setting up my own experiment scares em

It's not easy but with a good amount of revision you will be fine :-) I also think I find it hard because it don't really enjoy it but I think people who enjoy it find it easier.
And don't worry about the experiment stuff! It's not as bad as you think when you're doing the practical exams. Ours were pretty relaxed and I enjoyed the practical exams far more than a normal lesson!
Reply 54
I do bio, chem, history, and maths so 3/4 and they're hard but not impossible - i have yet to have had to retake anything, so if that's what you're worried about, it is possible to do them without retaking and get good grades, you just have to keep on top of everything though out the year, and make sure you don't leave revision to the last minute (which I have done this year!)
Reply 55
Original post by .snowflake.
That's not true. I've offers for Chemistry doing bio and chem to A2.

That's what she told me :s-smilie: heck, what do I know - I've applied for social sciencess!
all A-levels are bearable, some more than others.
Original post by alexsasg
That's what she told me :s-smilie: heck, what do I know - I've applied for social sciencess!

I know that Imperial, Oxford and Cambridge will not accept you for chemistry/ Nat sci without maths. Well, Cam will, but you get forced down a biology route.
Reply 58
Original post by .snowflake.
I know that Imperial, Oxford and Cambridge will not accept you for chemistry/ Nat sci without maths. Well, Cam will, but you get forced down a biology route.

I'm personally not looking to apply to a higher university, I just don't see the point where I can get the same degree in another university.
But that's just me, my opinions may change in the future, maybe I'm missing something x]
Original post by L_Vieru
I'm personally not looking to apply to a higher university, I just don't see the point where I can get the same degree in another university.
But that's just me, my opinions may change in the future, maybe I'm missing something x]

Eh? People don't apply to Cambridge and Oxford simply just to go to a university. With that logic, is history at Man Met and Cambridge the same?

Quick Reply

Latest