Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Jobs in York

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there are any decent jobs in York, I'm looking to go to Uni in September and I'm thinking I'll probably need to get a job while I'm there
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am also thinking about getting a job alongside.
    I heard they are really bad paid though?

In Austria I was working alongside school and got 360 Eur p.m. for 10 hours / week.
    How are typical student-jobs in York paid compared to that?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If possible, head up a little while before term and start applying for cafes/shops/whatever you can see, before everyone arrives and starts doing the same. Look into the designer outlet or monk's cross if you're willing to travel.

Chr0n, that's slightly higher than minimum wage in the UK. You should be getting roughly that or maybe a little lower.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.
    Do you know if it is possible to do a job term time only?
    As I want to take internships etc. during the summer holidays.

What about easter and christmas?

EDIT: Also does anyone have experience with the York Temp Pool?
    https://jobs.york.ac.uk/wd/plsql/wd_...page_id=147243

like how many assignments do you usually get, how much you would get on average per month?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look into cleaning at the hospital, they advertise for it every so often and its really good money. I work 6 hours a week and get £350ish a month.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Look into cleaning at the hospital, they advertise for it every so often and its really good money. I work 6 hours a week and get £350ish a month.
    Thanks . That sounds pretty good.

Do you also work during easter and christmas break? Do you get vacation / un-paid leave?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chr0n)
    Thanks . That sounds pretty good.

Do you also work during easter and christmas break? Do you get vacation / un-paid leave?
    Yes I work every weekend. You get 7 weekends off a year, which is pretty good imo. You'll be hard pressed to find a job that will let you go home for all of easter and christmas unless it is only a casual job.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Yes I work every weekend. You get 7 weekends off a year, which is pretty good imo. You'll be hard pressed to find a job that will let you go home for all of easter and christmas unless it is only a casual job.
    Yer that's what makes it so hard. Though I guess I could live with paying a 39-week let and staying over easter and christmas. I guess summer break is going to be more of a problem

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.