lesson ideas? Year 7

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Need ideas for a lesson. First lesson on discursive writing to a Year 7 group based on the theme of James Bond. Now I thought give them the question,
    Should James Bond have the liscence to kill.....
    I'm struggling with what to do in each part of the lesson . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
    • 4 followers

Judging from that question, it sounds like it'd be made for a P4C (Philosophy for Children) lesson? I'd personally find that quite tricky to pull off with a full class of Year 7s, mind you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it's an english lesson
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Was thinking of showing them a real life article based on spies and how they aren't allowed to kill...but in James Bond he is given the liscence to kill, is it justified.....but it all has to link to discursive writing...hmmm maybe model some discursive writing examples and get them to do a writing piece after a class debate on the issue. :/

As you can see, ideas will be much appreciated. lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to come across as rude, but why is your mentor/the English department you are in not providing you with help?

It's really quite unfair on you to just be set adrift with no idea of your lesson. You should be asking your mentor for help, that's what they're there for, to support you.

I'd be so annoyed if it was me and I was given hazy advice for my planning. "Do something on James Bond" isn't really adequate planning advice for a trainee, IMO. They need to be helping you more.

Anyway, I think your idea of licence to kill sounds fun, but I think with 11/12 year olds, James Bond would instantly draw the mind to thinking about gadgets (or possibly Bond girls with some members of the class...). Could you plan in some discursive writing on what their special spy gadget would be if they were 007 and why it would be the best spy gadget?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    not trying to be horrendously picky, but its 'licence'(british) not 'license' (american). if you are going to title your English lesson this way you must be able to spell it correctly.

i would do something on the merits of spying, arguing why spying is good and bad, would you make a good spy, something like that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozmond)
    not trying to be horrendously picky, but its 'licence'(british) not 'license' (american). if you are going to title your English lesson this way you must be able to spell it correctly.

i would do something on the merits of spying, arguing why spying is good and bad, would you make a good spy, something like that.
    Although, you would say 'licensed to kill'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugar_Puff_Fairy)
    Although, you would say 'licensed to kill'
    indeed you would, but the OP is actually saying 'liscensed'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozmond)
    indeed you would, but the OP is actually saying 'liscensed'
    I know :roll eyes: was glad someone else had mentioned it to be honest.

OP, hope you found the answer to your problem!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 26, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.