Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How to get work experience for Internships?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Industrious Orca)
    I don't know how the companies doing background checks do it, but i think they only really do degree, grades, and employment history. So i guess you could lie. My point is that retail banking is next to useless though. At least sport shows that you have some of the skills that the banks are looking for.

Why don't you look at some schemes that are still open? PwC Insight Academy, EY Leadership Academy are still open i think. There may be others.
    I just checked and PWC doesnt seem to have them anymore once i click through. for EY i dont meet the criteria for UCAS Points (I have 300 and they want 340)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delasandro)
    I just checked and PWC doesnt seem to have them anymore once i click through. for EY i dont meet the criteria for UCAS Points (I have 300 and they want 340)
    Which division do you actually want to be in?

With 300 UCAS points it's going to be extremely hard for you to get anywhere seeing as most banks want AAB/ABB at the autofilter stage. Even the likes of the big 4 are usually wanting at least ABB and that's for accountancy.

Even if you had all the experience in the world, if they're filtering you out of the process before they even look at your CV (which most banks will do with a BBB candidate) then you won't be getting looked at for internships anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Which division do you actually want to be in?

With 300 UCAS points it's going to be extremely hard for you to get anywhere seeing as most banks want AAB/ABB at the autofilter stage. Even the likes of the big 4 are usually wanting at least ABB and that's for accountancy.

Even if you had all the experience in the world, if they're filtering you out of the process before they even look at your CV (which most banks will do with a BBB candidate) then you won't be getting looked at for internships anyway.

Alot of the internships for second year that i looked at seem to want 300 plus rather than stating 320 or 340 etc? Including big banks like Barclays. And i'm not sure which division yet, but risk analyst seems quite appealing to me
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delasandro)
    Alot of the internships for second year that i looked at seem to want 300 plus rather than stating 320 or 340 etc? Including big banks like Barclays. And i'm not sure which division yet, but risk analyst seems quite appealing to me
    Okay; i rarely look at them, but i think a lot of the big 4 are above 300, and also i know McKinsey is 340. Just make sure you check the requirements before you send off applications to avoid wasting time sending them off when they won't be looked at.

Risk analyst would be a decent bet. I assume with 300 points you don't go to one of the targeted universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial LSE, UCL, Warwick). Middle office tends to have less university bias involved anyway.

As for your question. Just try to use whatever contacts you have to try and get some experience. Cold call some places (better to call through to someone high up than to HR etc). If you want you can pay for an internship. Try local accounting firms (smaller ones as well as big 4) as they'll be more likely to take you on.

You might want to look at official internships for some smaller accounting firms (Baker Tilly, BDO, GT, RSM and some smaller ones) too, Seeing as you're a first year and they're not big firms (relatively), they may be more open to taking you on for the summer internship.

Also might be worth trying linked in to see if there's anyone who went to your college or university who might be able to help you.

Just look around and don't sit waiting for something to come to you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good idea. Get up at 9AM, dress up and keep calling, take a break and acquire technical skills and you are in! Good luck
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Okay; i rarely look at them, but i think a lot of the big 4 are above 300, and also i know McKinsey is 340. Just make sure you check the requirements before you send off applications to avoid wasting time sending them off when they won't be looked at.

Risk analyst would be a decent bet. I assume with 300 points you don't go to one of the targeted universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial LSE, UCL, Warwick). Middle office tends to have less university bias involved anyway.

As for your question. Just try to use whatever contacts you have to try and get some experience. Cold call some places (better to call through to someone high up than to HR etc). If you want you can pay for an internship. Try local accounting firms (smaller ones as well as big 4) as they'll be more likely to take you on.

You might want to look at official internships for some smaller accounting firms (Baker Tilly, BDO, GT, RSM and some smaller ones) too, Seeing as you're a first year and they're not big firms (relatively), they may be more open to taking you on for the summer internship.

Also might be worth trying linked in to see if there's anyone who went to your college or university who might be able to help you.

Just look around and don't sit waiting for something to come to you.
    I have 300 UCAS points and go to one of the unis you've listed. I know it was just an assumption but it is a lot easier to get into a top5/6 with less than ABB than lots of people think. (Depends on what you're studying, of course).

In terms of 2nd year internships, KPMG definitely asks for at least 320 and 320-340 seems pretty standard for strategy/business consulting and more prestiguous options across the industry. That said, PWC requires at least 300 UCAS points for Assurance and I think for a first year the general requirements wouldn't be much different (not only in the firms I mentioned, but in general).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 30, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.