Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I open a student account if I'm from the EU?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The title pretty much says it all. Can I? And which bank would you recommend?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, or at least not as far as I know...
    I've tried it with a few banks but they would only give me a normal account. Which is what I'm having now. It's not that bad really, it's still free only with a student account you get a free overdraft, which you don't have with a normal account.
    I'm at natwest, which is alright. I don't have to pay for my account which you do have to do at santander for example. However, I can only take out money at atms from RBS, tesco and natwest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    At the risk of hijacking the thread, what about the same situation with a bit of a spin - I'm also an EU student starting a funded PhD in October, but I've been around for 18 months. That will add up to about 2 years when the PhD starts, which is still a year short of the seemingly standard 3-year residency rule.

I've read some old threads where people managed to get them the bank to be a little flexible, but nothing as of late. Any clues as to whether that might still be the case?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.