The Student Room Group

OU degree for GEM programme

Hi,

I'm studying maths (BSC Hons) with the OU along with A2 chem and AS Biol, and doing about 5 hours voluntary work on the same ward at my local hospital on a weekly basis.

I found some stats a few threads down, they suggested OU graduates very rarely get offers for the graduate entry medicine programmes. I'm desperately hoping this is because they don't apply much.

I'd rather do the 4 year course because I'll have massive problems with funding on the 5 yr one

Does anyone have any insight?
Also more specifically, would it be worth me carrying Biology onto A2, or getting a part time job as a HCA or something similar.
And do you see any difficuties in getting a job as a HCA as a graduate? I intend to get a job later this year as long as I'm not snowed under by biology.
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by arnea
Hi,

I'm studying maths (BSC Hons) with the OU along with A2 chem and AS Biol, and doing about 5 hours voluntary work on the same ward at my local hospital on a weekly basis.

I found some stats a few threads down, they suggested OU graduates very rarely get offers for the graduate entry medicine programmes. I'm desperately hoping this is because they don't apply much.

I'd rather do the 4 year course because I'll have massive problems with funding on the 5 yr one

Also more specifically, would it be worth me carrying Biology onto A2, or getting a part time job as a HCA or something similar.
And do you see any difficuties in getting a job as a HCA as a graduate? I intend to get a job later this year as long as I'm not snowed under by biology.
Thanks!

Few GEPs accept OU degrees. The matter is also further complicated by the fact that your degree is in maths. You could always email around and ask whether your degree would be suitable, there's certainly no harm in it.

Out of interest, why didn't you do a life sciences degree at a traditional university?
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Few GEPs accept OU degrees. The matter is also further complicated by the fact that your degree is in maths. You could always email around and ask whether your degree would be suitable, there's certainly no harm in it.

Out of interest, why didn't you do a life sciences degree at a traditional university?

Thanks for the advice, I'll start looking more seriously at the 5 years I guess. :frown: Do you know why?
I know maths can be a problem, but around half aren't subject specific, especially with Chem A level. (Leicester, Nottingham, Warwick, Newcastle, KCL, Cambridge etc)

Erm, I did my GCSEs early, I've been home educated, and I always loved maths. A level was gonna be pricey, but I found MST121 (the first OU course for the maths degree) and they offered financial support, so I thought I'd give it a go. I love it, I'm just over half way through. WHen I started, I wasn't even sure I was gonna get a degree out of it, and it wasn't a way into GEM, it was a way to carry on doing maths - It's only the last few years I've wanted to do medicine, and started looking into the options.

Now I'm sort of wishing I had a more conventional education - I don't have A levels because I skipped them(Finishing Chem this year, and AS Biology, but thats it) And loads ask for 3.
Original post by arnea
Hi,

Thanks!

Hi,
I've got a degree in Life Sciences from the OU and I got offers for the 4 year courses at Kings, Imperial and St Georges.
Your Maths degree would be fine for Kings or St Georges. As far as I am aware the only Uni which does not consider OU degrees ( I have no idea why) is Birmingham, although they only take specific degree subjects anyway. As long as you do well in the GAMSAT then you have all of the GAMSAT entry GEM courses to choose from as well as Southampton, Newcastle, Cambridge and Kings.
Don't be put off by the application stats, There is no reason why an OU degree will be looked upon any less than another degree. In fact you can use the unique nature of an OU degree to highlight your skills in time management, independent learning, and commitment.

Message me if you want to ask anything else
Good Luck!
Reply 4
Original post by arnea
Thanks!

You should have no issue getting a HCA job as a graduate, provided your disclosure comes through OK and you interview OK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending