Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Idle attempts to become less idle (Take 2)

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I attempted to take part in the transformation contest, I have been in hospital for a few weeks and since today I screwed up my back :rolleyes: But here we go...

Since the start of the contest:

Starting Stats:
    Weight: 13 stone 10 lbs -2lbs
    Height: 5'11''

Starting Measurements:
    Chest: 41.10 inch +0.6inch
    Waist: 38.00 inch +1inch
    Hip: 39.50 inch +0.25inch
    Bicep: 15.00 inch +0.25inch
    Thigh: 25.75 inch +-0.00inch
    Calf: 16.50 inch +0.5inch

I guess increases while staying the same weight is positive although the waist is an issue.

I will update this later.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Soo I went to my GP and I have a pulled muscle which keeps deciding to spasm, fun. So for now I guess I can sort my diet out, take my meds and get this bitch better..
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Back is still a bit iffy but I took the painkillers, sucked it up and went out in the garden today. I did a f'load of lifting, cutting stuff down, tearing things out the ground, it's quite fun actually.. A shame I will run out of things to do within a few days. I will probably stay safe for now and not get back into lifting and see how my back reacts to this.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok so my back didn't react the best, but still better than it was initially when I did it, might give it a day or twos rest and see where to go from there.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    So my back seems to be getting better day by day, probably can lift so will try tonight.

Using this dumbbell routine as a base: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...nly-split.html But i thought it was far too much volume so cut it down, tempted to add squats again on Chest and Triceps day, opinions people?

Routine will be:

Chest and Triceps
    DB Bench Press 4 sets 12,10,10,8
    Dumbbell Skullcrusher 3 sets 12,12,12
    Dumbbell Flys 3 sets 12,12,12

Back and Biceps
    Bent Over Dumbbell Rows 5 sets 12,10,10,8,6
    Dumbbell Pull Over 2 sets 12,10
    Standing Dumbbell Curl 3 sets 10,10,10
    Dumbbell Deadlift 3 sets 5,5,5

Legs and Shoulders
    Dumbbell Squat 4 sets 12,10,10,8
    Dumbbell Standing Calf Raises 2 sets 12,10
    Standing Dumbbell Press 4 sets 12,10,10,8
    Dumbbell Shrug 4 sets 12,10,10,8
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    So i did decide to add squats into the other session. Back felt up to it yesterday so I had a go, actually was extremely useful on squats because it seems with perfect form I get no pain but with anything else I get pain so it was useful in getting my form down.

Chest and Triceps
    DB Bench Press 4 sets 12,10,10,8 30kg Total
    Dumbbell Skullcrusher 3 sets 12,12,12 Couldn't do because getting into position was impossible with my back
    Dumbbell Flys 3 sets 12,12,12 10kg Total
    Dumbbell Squat 4 sets 12,10,10,8 50kg Total
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    But i thought it was far too much volume so cut it down, tempted to add squats again on Chest and Triceps day, opinions people?
    A couple of things...

Firstly, I personally would increase the volume by a bit as it looks quite low and you could do some of those workouts in half an hour.

Secondly, add squats to leg day, not sure why you wanted to add them to chest/tri's day?

I presume your goal is fat loss?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInformer)
    A couple of things...

Firstly, I personally would increase the volume by a bit as it looks quite low and you could do some of those workouts in half an hour.

Secondly, add squats to leg day, not sure why you wanted to add them to chest/tri's day?

I presume your goal is fat loss?
    Hey,

I didn't think 3-4 exercises with 2-5 sets of reasonably high reps was exactly low volume?

Squats are already on leg day, wanted to try out doing them twice a week.

And fat loss + add some muscle with noobie gains/muscle memory.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Back and Biceps

Bent Over Dumbbell Rows 5 sets 12,10,10,8,6 25kg DB
    Dumbbell Pull Over 2 sets 12,10 Couldn't do, was same as skull crushers, back clearly doesn't like things going in that direction yet.
    Standing Dumbbell Curl 3 sets 10,10,10 15kg DB
    Dumbbell Deadlift 3 sets 5,5,5 60kg Total
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did some Press and Shrugs today, don't have time in the morning for a shower so just did a bit.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got home yesterday, did some Bench and Squats, I think I added 5kg onto each, shoulder was playing up but seems to be ok today
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did Week 1 Day 1 of C25K tonight, got horrible pains on the outsides of my lower legs, apparently it can be from wearing shoes with not enough padding so I will wear a different pair of trainers next time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    I did Week 1 Day 1 of C25K tonight, got horrible pains on the outsides of my lower legs, apparently it can be from wearing shoes with not enough padding so I will wear a different pair of trainers next time.
    Yeah I remember the aches and pains when I first ever started running. They will pass, at some points it hurt so much I thought I had some kind of issue and wouldnt be able to run lol
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikestraws)
    Yeah I remember the aches and pains when I first ever started running. They will pass, at some points it hurt so much I thought I had some kind of issue and wouldnt be able to run lol
    Reassuring to know it's not just me! May I ask how long it took to go away for you?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not smoked for a bit over 4 days now, going out tonight drinking and might have a couple. If I cut it down to just one off social things I will be happy.

Back and Biceps later, off to make some egg and bacon for now
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Back and Biceps

Bent Over Dumbbell Rows 5 sets12,10,10,8,6 27.5kg DB
    Dumbbell Deadlift 3 sets 5,5,5 65kg Total

Just a quick session.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    So got white **** all over my tonsils and generally feel crap (I can't catch a break at the moment!) But I will still try to lift later.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How are you 38inch waist at 5 foot 11 and 13st10? How much do you squat?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Someone-Like-You-)
    How are you 38inch waist at 5 foot 11 and 13st10? How much do you squat?
    Erm I don't know if you are making it out to be a good or bad thing? But either way.. I just am?

I have no clue really for a few more weeks, just keep on putting it up by 10kg a week until I hit a barrier.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Erm I don't know if you are making it out to be a good or bad thing? But either way.. I just am?

I have no clue really for a few more weeks, just keep on putting it up by 10kg a week until I hit a barrier.
    It's not a bad thing, i'm just wondering if you have a lot of leg muscle, because someone like Chris Hoy has massive legs, but not a big waist, but still has to wear jean sizes in the 40's

Good luck with it all, will follow progress

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 14, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.