The Student Room Group

The Voice UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miracle Day
Which mentor would you guys chose?

I'd pick Will

anyone but Will :L depends on who turns round first ^^
I LOVED it. Showed all good acts but because they weren't in the middle of rubbish ones, sometimes I felt that you didn't realise actually how good they are. Before watching the show I would have picked Danny because I thought because of his music and songs he would be great to work with, and would take you seriously and be down to earth. However, now I would pick will.i.am
Reply 22
I take there is a selection process before the act gets to the Auditions????
Reply 23
Original post by 08rbut
I enjoyed it too, and this is coming from someone who cannot bear to watch x factor. The judges just have way more personality, the way they fight and compete (Sir Tom Jones, i sang with Elvis so you should pick me, William, i sang with Michael Jackson, so choose me)and are far more well known than Simon Cowell is in some ways as they are known for their musical ability and talents. Plus, so far non of the auditions have been so unbearably awful.

Very true, with X Factor I only watch the good singers. I really like the chemistry between the judges and how not only has the contestant got to sell himself in the singing stage but the judges have to as well. Even if some of it is played up for entertainment, you can definitely see theres some competition between each coach.

I missed the first ten minutes of The Voice but did the coaches open up with a song they sing together? if not I hope they do this! that would add some wow factor to the Voice.
Infinitely better than the X Factor. If this type of show must exist, then I would choose this over the X Factor - there seems to be a base on actual interest of music overall, rather than selling records. Rock on!
Reply 25
Original post by Morgsie

Not exactly sure but most likely so, they probably either get approached by producers or go to some sort of audition facing the producers, then finally go on the show. With some being shown on TV.

I say this because on the US version it was mentioned that Jamar was approached the Voice.
I actually liked it, much better than the X factor. Was a bit slow in some places but the rivalry between the coaches was entertaining. I kinda missed seeing all the really bad auditions like you get on X Factor. :tongue: Hopefully in terms of picking the right song choice and making a song unique, the coaches will have that covered. :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Luxray
Very true, with X Factor I only watch the good singers. I really like the chemistry between the judges and how not only has the contestant got to sell himself in the singing stage but the judges have to as well. Even if some of it is played up for entertainment, you can definitely see theres some competition between each coach.

I missed the first ten minutes of The Voice but did the coaches open up with a song they sing together? if not I hope they do this! that would add some wow factor to the Voice.

They sang Tonight I've got a feeling that tonight will be a good night
Reply 28
Original post by Morgsie

I guess so. Seems that way with all tv talent shows.
Reply 29
Thanks for the neg whoever it was... I'm entitled to my own opinion just as everybody else is here =/
Loved it (:
It's something different and probably won't kill the X Factor cause both have their positive sides. Was thinking the other day about how many people are in the charts through the X Factor, and it's all publicity, despite the 'fix factor' stuff we get every year...people are buying the songs for some reason, they must be good for the likes of Olly, JLS, Cher etc to not have won but still made careers! So yeah, I think it's just a fresh approach to talent shows really, coming from the "is it a singing or an entertainment show?" question.

Red haired girl was right not to choose Jessie, she sang the song as Jessie did originally, which is fine, but what could Jessie do to help her other than writing her similar songs...which she can still do despite not being her coach/mentor. Of the others (despite my issues with Will) she's probably best off with him, since (as he repeatedly mentioned) he knows how to project an artist/song worldwide and does know what is relevant today and what will sell.

My one issue? At times we ended up playing "who has the biggest ego?" with all the name dropping, self-promotion and "i'm better than you" talk from the mentors, but Danny needs to grow some balls and not waiting for other people to turn round. Although I didn't believe in the guy who sang the Train song either (the one from Leicester, names gone blank), so I kind of agree with him there...it was like he was just singing along to the radio in his delivery truck!
Hmm... it was better than I expected. I liked the banter between the judges, and the fact that they had people that could really sing and not mix with it people that were terrible... but:
1. I agree with whoever said it needs to be faster paced. The auditions need to speed up a little (like on BGT and The X Factor) to mix it up a bit, and keep the excitement levels up.
2. It would have been good to have either Reggie or Holly come up to talk with the acts on the stage / ask questions to the judges like on the X Factor (the bit where the acts walked off was a little awkward).
3. Won't the acts be judged on looks anyway after the judges have seen their faces / the audience are the ones voting and they can vote based on looks..?
Overall though, I enjoyed the show. It really does have a different feel to the X Factor and American Idol. (The smaller stage and more 'intimate' setting is a little more Fame Academy like.

EDIT: I actually didn't mind the name-dropping. The banter between the judges is what made it quirky and different to other panel shows, and as it was done in a jokey way it was cool. Will.I.Am's impression of MJ was the funniest I thought. :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by SweetsAndSugar
Hmm... it was better than I expected. I liked the banter between the judges, and the fact that they had people that could really sing and not mix with it people that were terrible... but:
1. I agree with whoever said it needs to be faster paced. The auditions need to speed up a little (like on BGT and The X Factor) to mix it up a bit, and keep the excitement levels up.
2. It would have been good to have either Reggie or Holly come up to talk with the acts on the stage / ask questions to the judges like on the X Factor (the bit where the acts walked off was a little awkward).
3. Won't the acts be based on looks anyway after the judges have seen their faces / the audience are the ones voting and they can vote based on looks..?
Overall though, I enjoyed the show. It really does have a different feel to the X Factor and American Idol. (The smaller stage and more 'intimate' setting is a little more Fame Academy like.

EDIT: I actually didn't mind the name-dropping. The banter between the judges is what made it quirky and different to other panel shows, and as it was done in a jokey way it was cool. Will.I.Am's impression of MJ was the funniest I thought. :h:

Yeah I agree with the hosts asking the contestants questions but I think that happens in the live shows in the US version at least if I remember.

Yeah looks still play a part but at least in the audition stage they dont so they are given at least one big chance to wow the coaches. Looks will definitely influence in the live show stages like you said.
Ben Kelly :fan:

This show is bloody awesome :yep:
I've got to say the UK's needed a new decent talent show that isn't about the sob stories. However, I must admit, I will be watching BGT as soon as possible. The Voice is great competition for the Simon Cowell X Factor Machine which had a pretty bad series last year, the only decent acts being Marcus Collins and Janet. However, with the voice, I must say I am finding Will.i.am to be my favourite judge at the moment - I love his wacky sense of style and humour. He's an interesting character. Danny is rather laidback and cool, Jessie J is not how I imagined at all - she's one big ball of energy isn't she, seems like a fun person :smile: ! However, as for Tom Jones, may need an episode or two more to form an opinion on him. Also the contestants are taking rejection well. I was a bit shocked by how much Sean from five has changed though. My act of the week has to be the 20 year old guy from Birmingham who did Adele's set fire to the rain. Love the original, love the cover, it was spot on!
Reply 35
Original post by Morgsie

At the beginning of the show it said that the acts were pre-selected by producers. It made it sound like there was no auditions.
Original post by SweetsAndSugar

3. Won't the acts be judged on looks anyway after the judges have seen their faces / the audience are the ones voting and they can vote based on looks..?

However at least the only ones that the public vote on have already proved themselves as having a decent voice, so looks may come into it, but for the first part of the selection process, looks are irrelevant, but you NEED to have something special in your voice.
Reply 37
Original post by Pop_tart
At the beginning of the show it said that the acts were pre-selected by producers. It made it sound like there was no auditions.

hmm I wonder what the selection process is based on if not auditions ... maybe they hit youtube to find webcam stars :biggrin:
Reply 38
I enjoyed it but I think it is going to take the second series for it to really find its feet. The 'presenters' were completely superfluous at this point and it needs another way for tw contestants to leave the stage.
Reply 39
I liked the quality of acts and banter between the 'coaches'. The fact that the contestant gets to choose who the mentor is adds and extra twist to the show and I love that part, although they drag it out a bit sometimes.

Also, when BGT and The Voice were on at the same time, The Voice had more ratings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending