The Student Room Group

The Voice UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leelad
I liked the quality of acts and banter between the 'coaches'. The fact that the contestant gets to choose who the mentor is adds and extra twist to the show and I love that part, although they drag it out a bit sometimes.

Also, when BGT and The Voice were on at the same time, The Voice had more ratings.

That could be mainly because the Voice was on first so people would rather carry on watching that till the very end, and then change the channel to BGT or just watch it a bit later on +1, which is what I did. That was pretty annoying how they had to clash though, especially since I had to also watch Take Me Out an hour later, but oh well.
Reply 41
Original post by Mess.
I enjoyed it but I think it is going to take the second series for it to really find its feet. The 'presenters' were completely superfluous at this point and it needs another way for tw contestants to leave the stage.

I agree with you.
P.s. did you see Tulisa's tape? :colone: I vaguely remember we all stared at her during x-factor live shows :tongue:
Reply 42
It's been slated in the press today! BUT I have no idea why!!!

I loved it. It had the 'feel good' feeling about it. BGT & X-Factor the same ('Freaks') come out and scrape thorugh to the later stages out of 'joke' votes - Wagna, Jedward etc. The judges deserve much credit for this as their positiviety shone through. It still had enough 'rivalry' though to make it intresting to watch. HOWEVER, if I am going to criticise it was a bit predictable who was going to go through and who wasn't even before they started singing! Secondley, as soon as you took one look at them or heard them sing one note you knew which judge they were going to pick. Also, a bit cringe worthey the amount of 'judges song's' that were sang. As well, the whole programme didn't have the whole 'big event' theme like the X-Factor. Looked abit old school. Some might like this, but personally I think it needs to go up a level or two. (Maybe a second series thing) Oh, and one last thing (and yes I did genuinely love it - just being critical here) how many one directions songs can they play in the background of one programme!!!

Also, I couldn't work out why nobody would want to pick Will.I.Am! Until someone told me he was from the script I had no idea who he was (still can't remember his name) Tom Jones, who knows when he had a last 'hit' out and Jessie J is great but sureley Will.I.Am must have more influence in the music world!

My 'dream' judges would be:

Gary Barlow
Adele
Jessie J
Chris Martin

Also be good if the contestants had to write their own songs (with help of their mentors) but that then may limit the amount of contestants.
(edited 12 years ago)
I liked the show, I thought it had class. It wasn't like BGT or X Factor where the overwhelming majority of acts are crap or time-fillers, and then with 2-3 good acts. Last nights show focused on talent, which was an enjoyable change compared to Simon Cowell's brand of shows.

Original post by Skip_Snip
If it's about singing ability, why is Will.I.Am a judge, when everything he touches turn to autotune? Maybe to prove it's not about looks or image?

Since when was Will.I.Am known for his singing voice? He really balanced out the panel though with his humor.

So far my favourite contestant has to be Adam Issac. I just love his voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unk2-arEeFw
Reply 44
I loved it :biggrin: The banter between the coaches was hilarious, and - unlike BGT or the X Factor - there's no 'oh, look at her, let's have a laugh with the audience'. That's another thing I like, actually: the audience don't seem to be as irritating as they are with BGT/X Factor. Did anyone else see BGT last night where that guy mentioned he was German, and the audience all started to boo? I know they're playing it up, but the look on his face...:frown:

Anyway, off topic. In short, it was great, and - if I could sing - I'd probably pick Danny. I have no idea why, either :tongue:
Reply 45
liked it. will is kinda annoying, though.
Original post by Morgsie
I take there is a selection process before the act gets to the Auditions????

That's what I was asking myself from the start of the show. I found it a bit vague the way they said that they had chosen some of the best talent in th UK without saying how. I think they basically want to cut out the BGT/X Factor/Idol type initial audition stages where there are quite a lot of bad acts that the TV audience has to sit through.

I get the impression that The Voice wants to be taken as credible and 'all about the music' - hence why all of the judges are performers/musicans themselves, why the acts cannot be seen seen by the panel, and why the show has chosen to omit the 'novelty' acts/crap auditions - so that the show is completely about talented musicians/singers and nothing else. They also seem to be keeping clear of the Xfactor/BGT/Idol tradition of setting up acts to be ridiculed which I found really refreshing. When the acts didn't get through (like Sean from '5ive' and the young girl) they were still kind to them and, as a viewer, I didn't get the impression that they were portrayed as failures.

I'll definitely be watching again to see how the show progresses, I really like the positive feel of the show. Although I still watch BGT it's starting to grate on me for various reasons - but mostly because it just has a nastiness about it which makes me uncomfortable, after all even the deluded ones are just as much heart set on a music career as the talented ones.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
I dreamt last night that I was watching The Voice and David Mitchell was sitting in for Will.I.Am and he got into a fight with Jessie J
I have weird dreams :rolleyes:
Reply 48
Original post by somethingbeautiful
That's what I was asking myself from the start of the show. I found it a bit vague the way they said that they had chosen some of the best talent in th UK without saying how. I think they basically want to cut out the BGT/X Factor/Idol type initial audition stages where there are quite a lot of bad acts that the TV audience has to sit through.

The very initial stages of the audition process are a lot like X Factor/BGT/etc. in the sense that there are auditions in front of a panel of producers. They then decide who makes it to the blind auditions. Only know because I accompanied a friend and my sister to their initial auditions in London.
Reply 49
Loved the show, already can't help but root for the Northern Irish contestants :colondollar:
Reply 50
I didnt want to like it because I love the x factor, but I really liked it and thought it was a good format. Feel a bit sorry for simon cowell though!
Good to have something to watch on a saturday night.
I like the programme, more than i thought i would. i particularly like the coaches performance at the beginning. Hearing different voices together. Few things i dont like though.

Danny is biggest Kop-out judge. Scared to turn round first, seems to always look at Jessie. I'd like to see panels between judges whilst act is performing so they dont know who has turned around, rather than seeing subtitles 'You Going?' 'Oooh Nearly had it' Can't fault his singing but i don't rate him as a coach.

Jessie just trying to press the buzzer as many different ways as possible?
Her hand, her head, her heel, her elbow. Anything else i missed?

Will watch next week though.
Reply 52
Jessie = Annoying to watch.
Reply 53
Original post by somethingbeautiful
They also seem to be keeping clear of the Xfactor/BGT/Idol tradition of setting up acts to be ridiculed which I found really refreshing. When the acts didn't get through (like Sean from '5ive' and the young girl) they were still kind to them and, as a viewer, I didn't get the impression that they were portrayed as failures.

I liked that too, they seem to be more honest but still kind 'oh there was some pitch problems' or 'I can only choose a limited number of people on my team, everybody is so good' (I think that was used on the US version often)

I like the manner of the contestants on the voice if they didn't get through. The contestants get uncomfortable to watch on X-factor where some start whimpering or pleading.
I love this show!

I'm not going to lie, the thought of Jessie J being on the panel nearly put me off but she seems really nice :h:.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Will.I.Am. His sense of humour is awesome.

However, I don't really understand why Danny has been portrayed as a bit of a weak link by the press...The Script are a successful band...

More importantly, the contestants could sing (shock!)
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
I love this show!

I'm not going to lie, the thought of Jessie J being on the panel nearly put me off but she seems really nice :h:.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Will.I.Am. His sense of humour is awesome.

However, I don't really understand why Danny has been portrayed as a bit of a weak link by the press...The Script are a successful band...

More importantly, the contestants could sing (shock!)

I don't think they are calling him the weak link because of his band's history. Well i wasn't anyway... I just thought based on what i saw in the first weak he seems to be scared to take the lead and press his button first. Always waits to see what everyone else is doing first.
I'd like to see one time Danny be the only judge to turn around rather than him always looking at everyone else, he must have his own opinion about whether someone is a good singer or not.

But as for his credentials. Hes been around longer than Jessie J, but i think she's a better judge/coach.
Reply 56
Looking forward to the Voice, I hope more people try to make their own version of a popular song.

Anyway a slight u-turn, I was on youtube and am amazed by this singer on american idol!

What do you think?
Her version of Sweet Dreams blew me away, it reminds me another artist who covered the song in a more down tempo style as well:
Reply 57
wanna be cher lloyd look but with a opera edge!
Reply 58
Contestants dont do the cringey pleading which I like about this show!
Reply 59
What is it with Will I Am and Danny?????

Quick Reply

Latest