The Student Room Group

If Scotland illegally declares independence, should we invade?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I can't wait to see the Houses of Parliament burned down by whiskey bombs and explosive haggis.
It's reckless to even wait for them to declare independence before we act. We ought to assassinate Salmond, perhaps with a deep-fried Mars Bar laced with cyanide, before he forms a Scottish Republican Army and launches attacks south of the border.

Alex_Salmond_(crop).JPG

Tell me that doesn't look like a man with a dirty bomb brewing.
English people are so silly...
Original post by Snagprophet
If Salmond declared independence then it would be illegal because there's no evidence that the majority even want independence. It would be a complete disregard for democracy and the British state would, of course, be sent in to protect the rights of British citizens.
With a strongly worded letter telling salmond how perturbed we are with him.
Original post by Clip
Invade with what? Half the Army are jocks.

Send the SAS to steal their cups of tea and force them to surrender
Original post by 122025278
If Alex Salmond and the SNP decided that they would just declare independence without a referrendum (because they thought they'd lose) by passing a law in the Scottish Parliament with their majority.

Surely then Her Majesty's Government would be forced to declare a state of emergency and use the British military? Otherwise they could just completely ignore the rest of the UK and the Scottish people and expect nothing to be done about it.

I imagine Scotland would last days not even weeks then Salmond would be arrested. An air, sea and land blockade could be put in place immediately. We'd have total air and sea dominance. Do you think the Ministry of Defence has already drawn up contingency plans and key targets if this happens?

and what if scottish regiments of the navy, air force and army mutiny? then we wouldn't have such a massive dominance and fighting the scots, whilst a favourite pastime of us english, can be quite difficult. Specially when they're angry.
Original post by Ann Widdecombe
It's reckless to even wait for them to declare independence before we act. We ought to assassinate Salmond, perhaps with a deep-fried Mars Bar laced with cyanide, before he forms a Scottish Republican Army and launches attacks south of the border.

Alex_Salmond_(crop).JPG

Tell me that doesn't look like a man with a dirty bomb brewing.

a 30 year old troll? You're 30 and have nothing better to do with your life yet? I feel sorry for you...
Reply 47
I say let Scotland have independence, on condition that they are no longer entitled to English taxpayers' money to subsidise free higher education in Scotland while English students pay record tuition fees. That sounds fair. :smile:
Surely if Scotland became independent though, the money generated from the North Sea Oil would help to continue subsidise the Scottish students? :K:
Original post by Moleman1996
a 30 year old troll? You're 30 and have nothing better to do with your life yet? I feel sorry for you...

But... you're 16 and you have nothing better to do than make thousands of angry posts on a forum. Shouldn't you be... out playing with friends? :dunce:
But... you're 16 and you have nothing better to do than make thousands of angry posts on a forum. Shouldn't you be... out playing with friends? :dunce:

i've made 1573, thats only 1000, not thousands... The majority aren't angry...
i've made 1573, thats only 1000, not thousands... The majority aren't angry...

That's not 1000, that's 1573. Get a life, bro. :dunce:
i've heard some f'd up s in my time, but this..... wow
Reply 53
Original post by HisRoyalHighness
i've heard some f'd up s in my time, but this..... wow

you must have one **** eventless life
That's not 1000, that's 1573. Get a life, bro. :dunce:

from the 30 year old trolling a students forum, i'll keep your advice in mind... :top:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aek-94
Surely if Scotland became independent though, the money generated from the North Sea Oil would help to continue subsidise the Scottish students? :K:

I thought BP owned the oil though. It's not nationalised.
from the 30 year old trolling a students forum, i'll keep your advice in mind... :top:

Please stop spamming this thread with off-topic posts or I'll report you to the moderators, Moleman1996. Thank you.
Please stop spamming this thread with off-topic posts or I'll report you to the moderators, Moleman1996. Thank you.

Oh no. Please, no. I feel so very very threatened.

Original post by Llamageddon
With a strongly worded letter telling salmond how perturbed we are with him.

that's the way!
Original post by Snagprophet
I thought BP owned the oil though. It's not nationalised.

be interesting to see who's waters the oil fell in. Wonder how they'd divide it, with the border not being a straight line there could be a case of disputed waters in the North Sea particularly. We don't want another situation like the oil in the Falkand Islands :colone:

The classic case of Rebel or Revolutionary though. Rebels if you fail, revolutionaries if you win. Completely depends who wins to write the history books I suppose.
(edited 12 years ago)
Is this thread for real

What exactly would Salmond do.

It doesn't matter if the Scottish goverment announced it everyone would ignore it it wouldn't mean anything and he would be arrested without any fighting no one would protect him. He wouldn't control the Military bases in Scotland or the Police forces how exactly could he declare independence.
Reply 59
Original post by Shabalala
Is this thread for real

What exactly would Salmond do.

It doesn't matter if the Scottish goverment announced it everyone would ignore it it wouldn't mean anything and he would be arrested without any fighting no one would protect him. He wouldn't control the Military bases in Scotland or the Police forces how exactly could he declare independence.

Exactly. Declaring independence is completely meaningless unless you have an armed force to actually take power. Otherwise everyone will just ignore you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending