Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

3rd Language at Durham

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have had an offer to study Modern Languages at Durham and would like to do the 3rd language option i.e. in ratio 2:2:2
    I'm doing French and Spanish at A level at the minute so will obviously be taking those two languages.
    I was wondering if people had suggestions about what would be the best language to as my third, Italian, Russian or Arabic.
    I'm open minded at the minute and was just hoping that people could give me advantages and disadvantages of all three?
    Many thanks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyCricket)
    I have had an offer to study Modern Languages at Durham and would like to do the 3rd language option i.e. in ratio 2:2:2
    I'm doing French and Spanish at A level at the minute so will obviously be taking those two languages.
    I was wondering if people had suggestions about what would be the best language to as my third, Italian, Russian or Arabic.
    I'm open minded at the minute and was just hoping that people could give me advantages and disadvantages of all three?
    Many thanks
    For one, there is never a disadvantage of learning a new language. Also the two languages that are a mix of Spanish and French are Gaelic and Italian. That would make it easy on you The russian alphabet is quite easy. Arabic they say is the most difficult, but once you know the letters and how to write it the rest is like learning any other language. And, Congrats on the offer!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Italian would be the easiest by far, especially as you're doing French and Spanish (although you'd probably have some trouble with mixing Spanish and Italian, nearly everyone seems to). I underestimated how demanding it would be doing three languages and the hardest one I'm doing is German; I really doubt you'd be able to spend enough time on all three if one of them was Russian or Arabic, unless you have a lot more dedication and a lot better time management skills than the average student.

That's not to say it can't be done - I know there's someone on here doing French, German and Mandarin - but you'll probably regret it unless you have a real passion for the language and culture to get you through the OH GOD I CAN'T DO THIS moments. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about the course at Durham

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 27, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.