Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is there this problem with itunes and the ipod.......?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I have a pretty old 30gb video ipod and noticed a weird problem with them. The problem being that not all the artists songs will be copied to the artists category, for example under the 'songs' section, you could have something like an Oasis on it such as Wonderwall and then you go to Oasis in the artists section and it won't have Wonderwall under Oasis so a lot of the artists don't have all their songs listed which you have downloaded, which is really frustrating.

I spoke to a friend about this who said yes this seems to be common. Is there anything one can do about it? Seems a pretty fundamental flaw by Apple.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newts2k)
    Basically, I have a pretty old 30gb video ipod and noticed a weird problem with them. The problem being that not all the artists songs will be copied to the artists category, for example under the 'songs' section, you could have something like an Oasis on it such as Wonderwall and then you go to Oasis in the artists section and it won't have Wonderwall under Oasis so a lot of the artists don't have all their songs listed which you have downloaded, which is really frustrating.

I spoke to a friend about this who said yes this seems to be common. Is there anything one can do about it? Seems a pretty fundamental flaw by Apple.
    How old are we talking here?

Is it the 3rd, 4th or 5th (left to right) gen?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    How old are we talking here?

Is it the 3rd, 4th or 5th (left to right) gen?
    one on the right, 5th gen I think, its a video ipod 30 gb
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    if you have nothing better to do then try this....

go into itunes, right click on the song that isnt messing up (same artist and album as the songs that are messing up), go into "get info", and check the info for the song...make sure the info is correct. then copy (i mean actually copy) the artist and album fields then paste it into the same fields but for the messed up songs

if we are talking about the same thing, then i know what you are talking about.... the names for every song needs to be exact otherwise itunes wont group them all...

i had two groups for the same artist, turns out there was a space " " in one of the group names.... i got rid of the space and it corrected the issue.

(on a side note, personally i suggest deleting all unnecessary info, do you really need to know anything other than the name, artist and album (perhaps lyrics)?)
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    one on the right, 5th gen I think, its a video ipod 30 gb
    I'm using the same iPod and not having any issues, and contrary to what your friend is saying I've never heard about this being a common problem at all. The first step I'd take would be as mentioned above, check all the information is actually correct in the song files, in particular keep an eye on the Artist and Album Artist boxes. If everything is correct but the issue persists, I'd restore the iPod to factory settings, then choose manual syncing and drag the media you want over yourself. If you're still having problems post here again.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a problem with the tags on the songs themselves. Nothing to do with iTunes, the iPod or Apple.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    make sure the sort artist & sort album artist of these tracks are clear, as this can cause iTunes to separate them into distinct "albums."
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I'm using the same iPod and not having any issues, and contrary to what your friend is saying I've never heard about this being a common problem at all. The first step I'd take would be as mentioned above, check all the information is actually correct in the song files, in particular keep an eye on the Artist and Album Artist boxes. If everything is correct but the issue persists, I'd restore the iPod to factory settings, then choose manual syncing and drag the media you want over yourself. If you're still having problems post here again.
    Oh right, cheers. Do you think it could be cos I downloaded one or two of these songs on Limewire a few years ago and not itunes shop?
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, cheers. Do you think it could be cos I downloaded one or two of these songs on Limewire a few years ago and not itunes shop?
    Most likely, seeds aren't exactly known for having impeccable track information.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Most likely, seeds aren't exactly known for having impeccable track information.
    Oh right, does that mean it won't be possible to get these songs to appear under the artists section or does it just mean I would have to correct them?
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, does that mean it won't be possible to get these songs to appear under the artists section or does it just mean I would have to correct them?
    It just means you have to put all the right info in yourself.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 26, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.