Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Are we born neither good or bad?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically, i was wondering what everyone thinks about this question 'are we born neither good or bad?' I consider this to be true for most people but on some occasions not, for example some serial killers, or can you argue that they only commit the crimes they do because of their upbringing etc?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I believe we are all born good.
    The choices we then decide to make in later life, which could be due to our upbringing make us bad, or in some cases, even better people
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Live long and prosper.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Although this thread will inevitably turn into an argument about religion and the concept of original sin, I find the concept of being born with/as a blank slate infinitely more appealing. Given the popularity of this idea during the Enlightenment, it does indeed seem a reasonable position. However, recent and potential future innovations in genetics may reveal that we're predisposed to certain things that one in our society may classify as "good" or "bad". Thus, we're probably not as free as we seem, but that reality shouldn't stop us from striving for it nor should it act as an excuse for one's own misdeeds.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I believe that people are born neither good or bad, it totally depends on the upbringing they had and also what kind of experiences they may have had in their lives, even serial killers. If a person has had a considerable number of bad experiences and isn't strong enough to control itself, then something bad may happen. Society often condemns and insults serial killers (obviously what they did is terribly wrong) but they never see the other side of the coin or how much the killer may have suffered during his/her life and at a certain moment 'snapped ' out of his mind.
    • 140 followers

ReputationRep:
    The balance of nature and nurture varies from person to person. In my opinion, it all depends upon luck of the draw.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the views of society as to what makes someone good or bad. Also, everyone, from the moment they are born, has the potential to become someone 'bad' or someone 'good'. It just depends on your personal circumstances and background.
    • 26 followers

(Original post by shyamshah)
    Basically, i was wondering what everyone thinks about this question 'are we born neither good or bad?' I consider this to be true for most people but on some occasions not, for example some serial killers, or can you argue that they only commit the crimes they do because of their upbringing etc?
    People aren't good or bad, only their actions...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edited because I came back a day later and realised I was talking out my arse.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't see how anything is objectively good or bad. Committing a genocide is not wrong. Just because the concept of genocide, or helping people, is not born into kids doesn't make them born good or bad.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Define good.
    Now define bad.
    Ask your friend to do the same and he/she will define the two terms differently.

The concepts of "good" and "bad" are mere social constructs. Nothing is inherently good nor bad until somebody interprets the action and labels someone as such, so no there is no such thing as a "bad seed" , better yet, an evil gene! :ahee:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think theres a bit of both, conditioning and genetics
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    You may have genetic dispositions to "good" or "bad" acts but we are born without those concepts and they are conditioned into us by our society. Look at the concepts of good and bad in your country. Now goto Russia, or south africa, or israel. And look at what is good and bad there. There may be overlapping concepts. But there are different things.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0121093343.htm
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see good and bad as residing in people, but what they choose to do. In that sense, yes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We're all born with a blank slate, the same way we're all born naked.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    i like to think we are blank canvases when we are born.... we get stained as we grow older...

as in.... one cannot be born good nor bad. how you are raise impacts this.

if not, that means good and bad has genetic factors and its hard to believe that all criminals/bad people have criminal/bad kids.... (and vice versa)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your comments, has made it much clearer for me
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe you are born with the urge to survive and reproduce and nothing else. How to do that is learnt through imitation, biological influences and the world around you - it's how you respond to this survival urge that makes you appear to be good or bad, which are really just socially constructed concepts anyway..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think that each child is born with the seed of good or evil which growa and develops as the child ages.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 1, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.