The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

I've been in most of the Halls, so if you want to ask about a couple in particular, then I'll be happy to fill you in, but I'm not planning on writing a resumé of every Hall.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
Thanks angel interceptor. Have you seen Astor College? Are the rooms fairly large compared to other ucl accomodation and what is the state of the kitchens and toilets and what sort of people are put in Astor (or is it jsut random people)?
One other thing, Ive been told by the residence office that there is a "SLIM" chance that i will get a single room at a self catered accomodation because i'm 18. Do you know any 18 yo who are/were in self catered single rooms?
Reply 22
i wonder how would the prices be like??

it does state in the booklet but thats just ranges(ie.70~150).
Reply 23
http://www.london.ac.uk/229.html

if anyone's interested in more detailed prices for the intercollegiate halls
Reply 24
Jeth

When did everyone receive their's?

I got mine at the start of Dec. I didn't like the look of many of the accomodations though.
Reply 25
Some of the accommodations looks like sh+t, frankly.

But who cares? We are about to attend a great school, meet tons of new friends, make ourselves a great future and have a huge deal of fun...

(edit: I had to downscale my criticism of the accommodations, it wasn't fair)
Reply 26
I thought that some of the accommodation looks pretty nice.
Yeah; also judging from a snippet of a picture and a paragraph which sounds almost exactly like that for most other accommodations isn't really very good. In the end, you don't know what you'll get, and whatever you do get you have to put up with. I myself am used to cockroaches, loud neighbours, bad location and not too great food...UCL can only be an improvement! Hehe

Personally, i'm hoping for Schafer House-close, flat-type self-catered accommodation, and hopefully not too expensive. Just what I want.
Reply 28
I could deal with noise and mediocre food but I think I'd draw the line at cockroaches.
Reply 29
Lol I just realised that catered houses' prices does not include the food, only the infrastructure that provides it.

This changes everything.

Damn.

Is Ramsay nice?
Reply 30
can any ucl student tell us which is the liveliest accomodation to live in...and is it better to be in self catered or catered accomodation?
Reply 31
It doesn't really matter to be honest as you can't specify which residences you want to be put in? I guess when you've been allocated accommodation this will be more of an issue.
Reply 32
manster
Well I emailed the ucl student residence office to ask "How likely is it that I would be put in a single room at Astor College as a first year undergrad (18 years old)?" and they replied "There would only be a slim chance as most undergraduates at 18 years of age would be put into a twin room if placed in self catered accommodation."
I don't know who to beleive now. Can someone who actually has first-hand experence as a first year in a self catered single room finaly clear this up for me cos its really peeing me off.

does that mean those over 19 who are self catered are most likely to get a single room?
Reply 33
ba_ba1
does that mean those over 19 who are self catered are most likely to get a single room?

By strict logic we cannot draw such conclusion from neither the e-mail or accommodation form; however, it seems very reasonable that that is the case. (reasonable in the sense of how people generally use language :smile: )

So, if you're 20 or older, I would bet a lot of money that you'll get a single room.
Reply 34
grr i got my offer bt not accomodation form
Reply 35
jb_sweden
Lol I just realised that catered houses' prices does not include the food, only the infrastructure that provides it.

This changes everything.

Damn.

Is Ramsay nice?

Does that go for all catered halls or just Lillian Penson Hall on the london.ac.uk website?

Incidentally, anyone else thinking you need a law degree just to make sure you don't end up in a rat-infested Brixton garret sharing with eight socially-maladjusted junkies? I know it's only a year, but still...
Reply 36
jb_sweden

Houses or halls? Aargh I'm confused... :confused: So how much is it likely to cost then?
I personally, despite the fact that i'll probably burn down the kitchen some day, am really hoping to go for self-catered. It seems so much more flexible and, im hoping, cheaper too.
And yeah where can one find out the food prices for catered halls?
Reply 38
Ludivine
Houses or halls? Aargh I'm confused... :confused: So how much is it likely to cost then?

As usual I've seen contradictory information. It now seems more likely that the food is included in the fees, at least for Intercollegiate Halls.

I think you're safe assuming that the food is included in UCL Halls aswell.
Reply 39
I'm just trying to fill in my form now finally and I was wondering something, I'm probably just being stupid.

In Section 23 where you have to put your order of choice of accomodation and you're asked to name your 1st and 2nd preferences for Intercollegiate Halls do you still have to name them even if Intercollegiate Halls are your last choices?

I'm thinking you do, but I don't want to end up being put in them because I named some :laugh:

Latest

Trending

Trending