Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is my diet? Can't lose weight..

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think i've improved.. how is this?

Breakfast: 40g porridge oats
    Lunch: 2 slices wholewheat bread and a salad + protein filling (lean meat or eggs or something) and fruit
    Mid afternoon snack: Low fat greek yogurt and 6 mixed nuts
    Dinner (eaten in two halves over course of the evening): 1/2 plate of veg, 3/8 meat or fish, 1/8 beans/legumes
    Supper: 2 squares of dark chocolate, or fruit, or occasionally 1/2 a weetabix in some hot milk.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry Gwyn)
    I think i've improved.. how is this?

Breakfast: 40g porridge oats
    Lunch: 2 slices wholewheat bread and a salad + protein filling (lean meat or eggs or something) and fruit
    Mid afternoon snack: Low fat greek yogurt and 6 mixed nuts
    Dinner (eaten in two halves over course of the evening): 1/2 plate of veg, 3/8 meat or fish, 1/8 beans/legumes
    Supper: 2 squares of dark chocolate, or fruit, or occasionally 1/2 a weetabix in some hot milk.
    Good, much much much better than before. Keep this up. If you cant finish a meal put half in the fridge and eat it a bit later like you have been doing, good work, post another update in a few days.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by Emanon)
    x

(Original post by forsaken_earth)
    x

(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    x

(Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    x

(Original post by Old School)
    x

(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    x

(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    x

(Original post by Old School)
    x

(Original post by epicnerd)
    x

I've taken all of your advice: e.g.

Breakfast: 40g porridge with water
    Snack: Apple
    Lunch: 2 egg white omlette with lots of veggies
    Snack: 6 nuts and low fat plain yoghurt/ 6 nuts and piece of fruit
    Dinner: Lean meat/fish with veg and sometimes beans/wholegrain carb
    Snack: Yoghurt/2 squares dark chocolate/fruit

Ends up at 1000 calories

+ 20 mints HIIT workout + 40 mins walking

But I have gained 1lb since following this

Edit: I would like to loose about half a stone now.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Better food, but eat more. 1000kcal isn't enough. Eat double this.

shows you still have an eating disorder mindset. seek help.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:

Ends up at 1000 calories

don't go below 1200 calories. You're going to gain weight by going into starvation mode if you aren't eating enough.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good to see you taking positive steps but for the love of god stop writing "loose" instead of "lose".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Ends up at 1000 calories

(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    don't go below 1200 calories. You're going to gain weight by going into starvation mode if you aren't eating enough.
    Cherry Gwyn, you aren't in a stage where you MAY go into starvation mode, you're already in it. The only way to properly get out of starvation mode is to up your calories, FAST. The general rule with Eating Disorder recovery is 2500 KCal per day for a woman, 3000 for one 21 or under, until they reach a bmi of 20. 20 is the benchmark due to it being at that point is the lowest risk of relapse.

No amount of metabolism tricks will help (like green tea or cayenne) as much as a good meal honestly.

I'm gonna get personal, but do you still have your period even? Leptin is key to both metabolism and :cough: hmhm, so you need to up it.

And yes, weight will gain unevenly and it will be difficult but please, health is more important than nigh on anything else.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antiaris)
    Cherry Gwyn, you aren't in a stage where you MAY go into starvation mode, you're already in it. The only way to properly get out of starvation mode is to up your calories, FAST. The general rule with Eating Disorder recovery is 2500 KCal per day for a woman, 3000 for one 21 or under, until they reach a bmi of 20. 20 is the benchmark due to it being at that point is the lowest risk of relapse.

No amount of metabolism tricks will help (like green tea or cayenne) as much as a good meal honestly.

I'm gonna get personal, but do you still have your period even? Leptin is key to both metabolism and :cough: hmhm, so you need to up it.

And yes, weight will gain unevenly and it will be difficult but please, health is more important than nigh on anything else.
    I'm a lot more healthy than I used to be though.. I can't imagine eating any more, I really can't. I don't get periods, I haven't had one for 10 months, but back then I was having about 200-500 calories a day and was a zombie, hardly even alive. Sometimes I had days without eating anything solid at all. This is obviously completely different so I do feel that I am healthy, i'm even getting hungry every few hours!!! So that must mean my metabolism is getting there? I'm definitely not needing to or wanting to gain weight, I would rather loose weight by lowering my calories to how they used to be than gain weight. I can definitely feel my hormones coming back so hopefully my period will. Maybe i'm not loosing weight because i'm about to get a period
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait a second. Your current BMI is 18.7, and 18.5 is underweight. If you loose one pound you'll be underweight. You do not need to loose any more weight.

If all you really want to do is loose your stomache flab, then just do some crunches. 40 in the morning, 40 at night, keep it up for a couple of weeks, sorted.

Really though, you're only two inches shorter than me and I was what I'd call skinny at 145 pounds, so I highly doubt you need to loose weight.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    This wouldn't happen if women lifted.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kat~)
    Wait a second. Your current BMI is 18.7, and 18.5 is underweight. If you loose one pound you'll be underweight. You do not need to loose any more weight.

If all you really want to do is loose your stomache flab, then just do some crunches. 40 in the morning, 40 at night, keep it up for a couple of weeks, sorted.

Really though, you're only two inches shorter than me and I was what I'd call skinny at 145 pounds, so I highly doubt you need to loose weight.
    *lose, *stomach

you can't lose fat off a particular area :facepalm: why are you giving her false advice?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    *lose, *stomach

you can't lose fat off a particular area :facepalm: why are you giving her false advice?
    Oh hush up, I'ts not supposed to be a work of literary art, it'll do.

No, you can't lose fat off one particular area, but you can tighten one particular area. She doesn't want to drop a dress size, she wants to get rid of some flab, and crunches will do that. That's not false advice.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ends up at 1000 calories

You have made a lot of progress, and your diet is much, much better than it was before. However, you could still do with eating a little more. This doesn't have to be done all at once, step by step would be fine. For example try increasing your porridge to 50g for a week, and then add a couple more squares of dark chocolate to your snacks. Then perhaps add in a yoghurt or something at breakfast. Just to get your cals up :-). The things that you're eating are nice and healthy; just that a bit more of it would be great.

You are making progress though, and I'm very proud of you for that .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a lot more healthy than I used to be though.. I can't imagine eating any more, I really can't. I don't get periods, I haven't had one for 10 months, but back then I was having about 200-500 calories a day and was a zombie, hardly even alive. Sometimes I had days without eating anything solid at all. This is obviously completely different so I do feel that I am healthy, I'm even getting hungry every few hours!!! So that must mean my metabolism is getting there? I'm definitely not needing to or wanting to gain weight, I would rather loose weight by lowering my calories to how they used to be than gain weight. I can definitely feel my hormones coming back so hopefully my period will. Maybe i'm not loosing weight because i'm about to get a period
    Oh darling. :plz2:

You are doing better, but you still have some way to go. You know you are getting hungry, are you answering your body when it sends this signal?

If I said to you there was a girl who ate a two banana a day because she was afraid of food, would you say that that was extreme and that she maybe had an eating disorder? She felt that she should be small and that food would somehow take away what she is? You need to look at yourself from an outsiders perspective sometimes. You don't have your period. That's your body telling you that something is very wrong, that it doesn't even trust itself to have a child. I don't mean to sound harsh when I say these things, but it's upsetting seeing somebody go through this. I've been through this. Other people have been through this. Not everyone, but the people who have been through it recognise the thought patterns.

Ask yourself why are you afraid of weight gain? Do you fear being ugly? Do you associate weight gain with failure? You seem to believe that whatever this reason is, it is worth your health. This isn't an attack at you, but from a realists view point this is the truth.

The thing I posted about recovery BMI and the like would apply to you I think. Your body has recognised it's gone through the wars and needs the help.

Message if you need any help.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    stupid question but in terms of calories, can you really just count what is says on the box? i.e. if you need 1500 cals a week, you just get some food and add up the values and make sure it doesnt god above 1500 (otherwise you put something back)?

do you not need to take into consideration the other information thats put on them?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a lot more healthy than I used to be though.. I can't imagine eating any more, I really can't. I don't get periods, I haven't had one for 10 months, but back then I was having about 200-500 calories a day and was a zombie, hardly even alive. Sometimes I had days without eating anything solid at all. This is obviously completely different so I do feel that I am healthy, i'm even getting hungry every few hours!!! So that must mean my metabolism is getting there? I'm definitely not needing to or wanting to gain weight, I would rather loose weight by lowering my calories to how they used to be than gain weight. I can definitely feel my hormones coming back so hopefully my period will. Maybe i'm not loosing weight because i'm about to get a period
    When you are in starvation you get excess cortisol secretion which promotes lipogenesis (e.g more fat storage), which is in contrast to what cortisol normally does at normal levels - act as an 'anti-insulin' which means increases beta-oxidation (lipolysis).
    Eat more, then you wont gain weight.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    stupid question but in terms of calories, can you really just count what is says on the box? i.e. if you need 1500 cals a week, you just get some food and add up the values and make sure it doesnt god above 1500 (otherwise you put something back)?

do you not need to take into consideration the other information thats put on them?
    1500 cals a week? :lolwut:

Depends what you mean:

Calories (kilocalories, rather) add up the total amount of energy from all sources, so accounts for all the energy from fat, carbohydrate and protein. So in terms of looking at these macronutrients, their energy levels have already been accounted for in the stated calorific content of the food. (People who are sedentary probably don't need much more information than this to control their 'weight', if we're to be blunt). But these macronutrients are beneficial in different ways in the body. They are not simply equal fuel.

If, however, you are interested in controlling proportions of these macronutrients then calories won't help you. People who are more active should consider what they eat beyond how much energy they give each other. And different tyoes of sport and exercise obviously require different types of fuel, be that for respiration or replenishing stores/ tissues.

If you are also interested in vitamins, minerals and everything else you see, then of course you need to take that into consideration.

This isn't terribly descriptive but gives you an idea. PM me if you want to chat more, don't want to hijack Cherry's thread.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    1500 cals a week? :lolwut:

Depends what you mean:

Calories (kilocalories, rather) add up the total amount of energy from all sources, so accounts for all the energy from fat, carbohydrate and protein. So in terms of looking at these macronutrients, their energy levels have already been accounted for in the stated calorific content of the food. (People who are sedentary probably don't need much more information than this to control their 'weight', if we're to be blunt). But these macronutrients are beneficial in different ways in the body. They are not simply equal fuel.
    a day* just an example number anyway
    this was the bit i wanted to know, thanks for the info
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Holy hell, I wish a moderator had come in a stopped this thread... is this just a haven for people with eating disorders to spur each other on? 'You're eating way too much?', 'maybe exercise?' Wohohoah... slow down, people.

The stuff about not eating processed food and skimmed milk etc. is right in a way, but as has been pointed out, this person clearly has an eating disorder. I've been in the exact same position as the OP: eating very little, exercising a lot and wondering why the hell the weight wouldn't keep coming off. People telling me it wasn't possible for me to be maintaining on what I was eating... gaining weight if I ate over 1500 calories... I honestly thought there was a problem with my metabolism, and there was. The problem being that I was anorexic and therefore my body had just gone mental on me.

OP: when I was in your position, someone telling me that everything would even out once I just ate normally and let my body settle at its natural weight made me want to cry and scream, so first I'll say this: if you want to carry on losing weight, if you stick to what you say you've been eating you will. When you're eating that little your body plateaus all the time on calories which would cause a normal person to be losing weight rapidly. If you stick it out you will keep losing weight, though, slowly. I once plateaued at 7st for three weeks eating 400 calories a day. People say that's not possible, but apparently it is. Then I carried on losing weight.

What got to me, though, was that my life was ruled by it, I thought about nothing else, and I became a boring, hysterical moron. Is it worth living the rest of your life eating 1000 calories a day (which you'll have to to maintain an abnormally low weight) just to avoid a bit of stomach flab that I'll bet noone else can see? Hell, even if they can see it, I'd say it's not worth it. That's not going to help much considering how bad it sounds like you are at the moment, but I can say from experience this: you will gain weight at first when you eat normally. I went a little above my natural weight when I started eating normally after I came out of hospital, but after a while your body becomes normal again. In fact, my body now is irritatingly quick at metabolising food and I really struggle to keep weight on. I never would have thought that was possible after being someone who lost nothing eating 400 cals a day. I don't think anyone can convince you to change when you're in that mindset, but once you're recovering it's nice to know from other people that you WILL be able to eat normally again and you don't have a freaky metabolism and you don't have to live on 1500 cals for the rest of your life. I used to gain weight on that, even at my current weight, now I lose weight if I eat that little.

To everyone else who's telling the OP that she needs to cut more from her diet, exercise more or that (this is the worst one) she must have a really weird metabolism or be very sedentary... WTF is wrong with you?? I presume a lot of you are ill, too, but really, don't make it worse for other people. Those kind of things make you panic wildly when you feel like that (or they did me, at least), you have no idea how distressing what you're saying is to someone who's ill. I think these boards should be moderated more. Talk about triggering...

OP, I hope you get help and return to normal soon. It's very possible. And not possible in that 'it's always with you, you just manage it', way, but possible in that you could get to a point where you never think about calories or weight, think your body's awesome, and sometimes feel like it's a hassle to have to eat food when you're doing something more interesting. That's coming from someone who honestly thought my choices were a)living on 500 cals for the rest of my life, or b)being enormously fat eating normally, or c) suicide. Now I honestly do not give a s***. Good luck.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I need to re-iterate the point that I don't have anorexia tendencies these days - I do not want to be ill, or want to loose loads of weight. I want to be slim and healthy and fit food around my current lifestyle (which is not sedentary, lots of fast walking most days and some higher intensity stuff like dancing a couple of times a week) and remain healthy, but loose some fat. I don't hate myself anymore or want to punish myself, and I enjoy food.
    Also, this is exactly what I thought all the way to the hospital. 'I don't want to lose weight, I just don't want to gain any, and since I gain weight if I eat anything over 1500, I better stay under that just to make sure.' At 6.5 stones once my skin was yellow and I got bruises on my coccyx if I sat in the bath, I thought huh... maybe I went a bit overboard with that there. If you're posting a message on the internet asking why you're not losing weight and worrying that your metabolism is weird and wondering what you can take out of your diet and walking all the time and not just eating whenever you feel like it, you have an eating disorder.
Updated: April 28, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.