Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Miss my offer

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I tried posting this in the thread "Ask a SOAS student anything" but nobody replied so i'll just try here.

My question is: If i miss my LLB Law offer by say 1 grade e.g. if i get AAB/ABB instead of AAA, if i phoned them up, how likely is it that they will still accept me?
    My gut instinct is that it will be a fairly low chance since Law is a very competitive course...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    not sure about law but i had an offer there host hist/pol and when i asked how leniant they are they told me once you have an offer so longs you dont really screw up your alevles youre more or less guarenteed entry, they said one grade youd get in still and if you missed by two something about a 'near miss' pool of students. as for law though im not to sure it may/may not be the same.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've heard this twice now, about being having 'guaranteed entry' once you hold an offer... i just hope if i miss by one grade they'll still let me in... i'd be grateful if someone actually doing law could tell me though. Thanks for the reply nonetheless!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zainchawdry)
    I've heard this twice now, about being having 'guaranteed entry' once you hold an offer... i just hope if i miss by one grade they'll still let me in... i'd be grateful if someone actually doing law could tell me though. Thanks for the reply nonetheless!
    I think that even a Law student couldn't really help you. SOAS really deals with applications case by case. You have a lot of students with unconventional qualifications. They'll look at your case I think, and they'll decide. There is no absolute law which they follow.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats true, i do have a fair few other qualifications besides A-levels and GCSE's though...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been wondering about this too, SOAS seem to be "kind" but I guess it depends on the course, if more people met the expectations then I guess there is a slim chance of being allowed in, but it depends on the number of applicants and how everyone overall does on results day,
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah do you think if i get AAB they'd still let me in?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah do you think if i get AAB they'd still let me in?
    Depends on your university really and how far you were from your required grades. If you were a couple of marks away I'm sure you could tell them and they'll let you in. If you were a whole grade away then it might be different.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TLK)
    Depends on your university really and how far you were from your required grades. If you were a couple of marks away I'm sure you could tell them and they'll let you in. If you were a whole grade away then it might be different.
    What about in regards to SOAS admissions?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What about in regards to SOAS admissions?
    SOAS is generally more relaxed than most other top unis about slip ups in grade required. However, the Law department is probably the strictest with regards to this so you're walking a tightrope. Just get the grades man, still time to bang out some work and MERK.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LZRSWRD)
    SOAS is generally more relaxed than most other top unis about slip ups in grade required. However, the Law department is probably the strictest with regards to this so you're walking a tightrope. Just get the grades man, still time to bang out some work and MERK.
    Haha yeah gotta merk these 3 exams off nicely!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 31, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.