The Student Room Group

Explore learning job

Hello

Ive recently got an interview for explore learning as a part time tutor

i know its helping young people with their maths but im not to great at maths myself , i got a C at GCSE , and passed my uni interview maths tests for nursing but will i really struggle and not be able to do my potentiol job?

Also does anyone know the pay rate for explore learning and weekly hours? and any additional information they feel will be helpful?

Thanks
:smile:
Original post by ComedyAddict
I've had my interview and start my induction over the next few days. I thought you had to have at least a B in GCSE Maths? But I guess if you've done maths through nursing that counts.

Hey,
I was just called by the Finchley branch for an interview in June and I was wondering what the interviews and role plays consist of? I read that the induction consists of learning how to use the computer systems and getting to know the curriculum, are there any forms that need to be filled out when doing the induction?
Reply 2
Original post by krispykreme2012
Hey,
I was just called by the Finchley branch for an interview in June and I was wondering what the interviews and role plays consist of? I read that the induction consists of learning how to use the computer systems and getting to know the curriculum, are there any forms that need to be filled out when doing the induction?

Hey I have the same interview next month for the finchley branch too :smile: can u pls give me any tips? how was it? what did they ask you? sorry I'm really quite nervous really want this job :biggrin:
Hiya, I've been working at Explore - the Barking branch for 15months now. I started in Sixth Form. Honestly don't worry too much about your grades as long as you got C's in Maths and English - in training they go through the various curriculum methods to teach you.

Interview wise: they ask you about relevant experience working with young children, why you'd want the job and then give you 2 maths questions in which you pretend you're the tutor and you have to explain to the manager (who pretends to be a child) how you would go about answering the question.

Tips: Explain the question on paper and pass the pen to the "child" and get them to fill in the answers. They like that.

NOTE: I got given adding fractions as one of mine, I checked with the manager that I was doing it correctly and still go the job. Let's just say I never forgot how to do it again haha.

As for pay rate it's about £5.45 if you're under 18 then it increases to £5.75 I think. Then you get a regular appraisals every 3 months in which a pay rise may take place. I can't remember what it is for those already over 21.

Good luck guys.

P.S Inductions are usually 3-hour days in which you look at the levels of software on computer, and begin to learn how to write session notes.
Also hours wise - contract is minimum of 10 hours a week.

Weekdays shifts last between 3hrs45mins - 4hours. You don't get paid overtime, or get extra pay on holidays by the way.

Saturday shifts hours are usually 4hours long e.g 10-2 or 2-6
Sunday shift hours are usually 3hours, my centre is open 10-4 so you get the 10-1 people and 1-4 people.

I assume most centres are as flexible as mine, I managed sixth form and work and now manage to fit in shifts whilst at university. I usually have to give my availability a month in advance though.
Reply 5
Original post by icklelicklebee
Hiya, I've been working at Explore - the Barking branch for 15months now. I started in Sixth Form. Honestly don't worry too much about your grades as long as you got C's in Maths and English - in training they go through the various curriculum methods to teach you.

Interview wise: they ask you about relevant experience working with young children, why you'd want the job and then give you 2 maths questions in which you pretend you're the tutor and you have to explain to the manager (who pretends to be a child) how you would go about answering the question.

Tips: Explain the question on paper and pass the pen to the "child" and get them to fill in the answers. They like that.

NOTE: I got given adding fractions as one of mine, I checked with the manager that I was doing it correctly and still go the job. Let's just say I never forgot how to do it again haha.

As for pay rate it's about £5.45 if you're under 18 then it increases to £5.75 I think. Then you get a regular appraisals every 3 months in which a pay rise may take place. I can't remember what it is for those already over 21.

Good luck guys.

P.S Inductions are usually 3-hour days in which you look at the levels of software on computer, and begin to learn how to write session notes.

Hi, I've recently been offered a job as a Part-Time tutor and I am due to attend the induction sessions soon...are these hours paid? I was too shy to ask :colondollar:
Yes the induction sessions are paid, however, they are only paid if you are given the job
Reply 7
Hi I'm about to start working at explore learning and I was wondering if you could give me some advice on :-What to write on the session notes like how should comments be worded and what do they expect?

Quick Reply

Latest