Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teachers - what were you like at school?

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my last year of 6th form, and I've applied for maths at Bath and will hopefully be doing a secondary maths PGCE afterwards. Thing is, at the moment I'm not particularly confident, get stressed easily and try to please everyone, which doesn't seem like a good set of characteristics for a teacher. I'm hoping that will change when I get to university, and am wondering: what were you like when you were at school?

Cheers. Hoping for at least a few people who were nervous and unconfident for reassurance
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Contrad!ction.)
    I'm in my last year of 6th form, and I've applied for maths at Bath and will hopefully be doing a secondary maths PGCE afterwards. Thing is, at the moment I'm not particularly confident, get stressed easily and try to please everyone, which doesn't seem like a good set of characteristics for a teacher. I'm hoping that will change when I get to university, and am wondering: what were you like when you were at school?

Cheers. Hoping for at least a few people who were nervous and unconfident for reassurance
    My mum's a teacher and, according to her when she was at school she was lazy and crap at the subject she now teaches.

I'll bet that at once you're at university you'll become more confident - living without parents and being self-sufficient does that to you. At least, that's what's happened to me. And you'll have plenty of opportunity to get experience with kids through volunteering opportunities etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was pretty much the opposite and was a complete pain to most of my teachers in secondary school. I make a shockingly bad student for a teacher!
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inner Poise)
    My mum's a teacher and, according to her when she was at school she was lazy and crap at the subject she now teaches.

I'll bet that at once you're at university you'll become more confident - living without parents and being self-sufficient does that to you. At least, that's what's happened to me. And you'll have plenty of opportunity to get experience with kids through volunteering opportunities etc.
    All of my good teachers were lazy and played up

Every Wednesday I help out in a Year 9 maths class and I think that's helped with my confidence. I've also learnt some maths, which is somewhat worrying considering the level I'm supposed to be at now 'Centre of enlargement? What's that?' Having to blag it whilst explaining to someone who doesn't get it at all is interesting. Also, this past week I've had to host assemblies which I never thought I'd be doing, so I guess the confidence is improving. But still, class control :eek:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im gong into my PGCE now, but at school I was a very different person. My degree and independence this has bought about has changed me a lot. I used to be rather shy, but im not so much now!

I think teachers probably come from lots of backgrounds as everybody changes a lot when they go through different life stages, so dont worry!

The more experience you get, the better too!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    When I was in my early undergraduate years I was quite introvert, and found it difficult to publicly speak in front of a large number of people. I wasn't very good at giving presentations or such, often getting tongue tied or seizing up.
    This completely changed throughout my later university years.
    Bottom line is this: don't worry about it. University is a very formative experience, where your personality is likely to change. And while some people might never overcome their social inhibitions and become adept public speakers, the majority can attain this over time with enough persistence.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 26, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.