The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by h2shin
is anyone looking at Churchill College? going to the open day on the 13th?

I went to the open day last year. It's a nice college and I was hopeful of it since it admitted a large proportion of science students.
I wasn't thrilled by the accommodation though. a little ugly. I remember my bead being as thin as a coffin. The theatre/auditorium is nice though.
A little far from the centre too, Churchill, but not as far as Girton.

I did like the porters, the sculptures and the fact that you could walk on all the grass however. It also has it's sport's pitches on site which is a plus.
Reply 181
Original post by Zoedotdot
It's definitely out of 45. I have a lot of friends who did the IB and have been on these forums for four years and moderating for one of those and I've never seen anybody with an offer that didn't include EE and TOK. It's usually a certain number of points out of 45 with specific grades in your HL subjects (ie, 42 points with 7,7,6).

Thanks! That gives me some hope :smile:
Original post by Llewellyn
I'm sure you'll be able to achieve much higher UMS this time around, unfortunately Natural Sciences (being the universal science course) is full of lots of talented applicants with different interests, and different prospects. So admissions must be a bit of a nightmare for tutors, as it is hard to directly compare a candidate who is more interested in physics compared to one more interested in Chemistry or Earth sciences. So without high UMS (as that is probably the universally applicable source of direct and quantitative comparison) it would be very difficult to get in :/

Also, If you don't mind me asking, which College did you apply to, and which (ones) are you considering applying to (if you do reapply)?

On a completely unrelated note, is your username from the Christopher Paolini books (because they are awesome!) ?

Aye, I'm sure myself, to be fair I was incredibly disappointed with what I got last year, but then again, I did doss a wee bit too much last year. My chem AS is let down by just one module as well, but this year, I'm out for vengeance >=)

I applied to Trinity Hall, quite competitive for NatSci from what I've learnt, but not the extremely high. Should I reapply, I'm thinking King's, Homerton or maybe a college that I've yet to research. Shame TitHall recommend not to apply to them again, it is so beautiful...

Well of course it is a reference to those books! One of my favourite sets, shame about the film in my opinion.

Will you apply for Bio or phys Natural sciences? I'm guessing biological, because on first glances the biology of cells module in the first year looks really interesting (and also quite chemistry-focused). Having said that, if you're looking to do mainly chemistry options, it probably doesn't matter so much, especially seeing as chemistry does overlap a lot with both disciplines.

Well if there was a chemical scientist I'd go with that. However it falls under the category of physical (along with physics which I find as boring as you find the dull parts of chemistry) so I'll most likely apply for that and avoid physics modules (assuming materials sciences doesn't have too much physics. It does look interesting. I'd go with physiology of organisms instead, but some of the work in it is useful for the chemistry modules which i intend to do in the second year methinks) where possible. Loving chemistry, enjoying biology and slightly apathetic to physics is an interesting position.

Really, Oxford is far more suited to the chemistry course that'd I'd love to do (plus no Saturday lectures there) but I can't help that I fell for Cambridge ^^
Original post by Silverland

Chemistry is my passion (and I look forward to April's Cambridge Chemistry challenge questions. I'm staying up until midnight tomorrow to get onto page 1 of the honours board. How sad ^^ )

Aha! A challenger! I came 42nd in the first month and just missed top 100 the second ¬¬ mainly because I just had to sleep, and when I woke up, I had the answer! D:
Reply 185
Original post by Etoile
Okay :lol: What kind of level is it on the international framework?

It'd be like B1 I'd say. I've done a French homestay and buying food, traveling, talking about my country, about school and such was 'alright'. I could understand quite well, and as about speaking... I could get my points through :cute:.
Original post by Oromis263
Aye, I'm sure myself, to be fair I was incredibly disappointed with what I got last year, but then again, I did doss a wee bit too much last year. My chem AS is let down by just one module as well, but this year, I'm out for vengeance >=)

I applied to Trinity Hall, quite competitive for NatSci from what I've learnt, but not the extremely high. Should I reapply, I'm thinking King's, Homerton or maybe a college that I've yet to research. Shame TitHall recommend not to apply to them again, it is so beautiful...

Well of course it is a reference to those books! One of my favourite sets, shame about the film in my opinion.

I wouldn't go on anyone's opinion other than your own for reapplication. I think if I was in that situation, whether or not I reapplied would probably depend on how well I think I did at A level overall (mostly UMS based). e.g. Come August, if I had 90+ and a fair few A*s, I think I almost definitely would. But come August, if my results were a little underwhelming I'd probably go with Edinborough (which is an excellent university, it's just not Cambridge).

Yeah, King's and Homerton (and a few others like Trinity) are breath-taking to say the least. I think I'm also more interested in the more impressive/ beautiful Colleges more than anything.

I don't acknowledge the existence of that film lol. I also loved and hated the last book, it was incredible but felt sporadic and incomplete. But the series is something I'm definitely going to re-read over Summer, along with a few other books :smile:

Original post by Silverland
Well if there was a chemical scientist I'd go with that. However it falls under the category of physical (along with physics which I find as boring as you find the dull parts of chemistry) so I'll most likely apply for that and avoid physics modules (assuming materials sciences doesn't have too much physics. It does look interesting. I'd go with physiology of organisms instead, but some of the work in it is useful for the chemistry modules which i intend to do in the second year methinks) where possible. Loving chemistry, enjoying biology and slightly apathetic to physics is an interesting position.

Really, Oxford is far more suited to the chemistry course that'd I'd love to do (plus no Saturday lectures there) but I can't help that I fell for Cambridge ^^

Hmm, I'm sure if you look into it you could probably learn more about avoiding physics (which is a concept I find so alien that I found it almost impossible to type :P ). Cambridge is definitely on the forefront of Biological research (with DNA etc) and because of that I'd feel almost obliged to take one of the Biology options.

Yes, I don't know why but I'm also weirdly biased towards Cambridge. Every piece of objective data seems to conclude that there's barely anything between the two. I actually have no explanation as to why, perhaps it's because I never fully learned the alphabet and found the OPQRSTU part really annoying, and Oxford starts with O... Or perhaps it's because Cambridge's prospectus has a better font... who knows :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Oromis263
Aha! A challenger! I came 42nd in the first month and just missed top 100 the second ¬¬ mainly because I just had to sleep, and when I woke up, I had the answer! D:

ah, nice ^^
well I'm hoping to get going from midnight tomorrow and beat all the Jakartans who always seem to top the leaderboards :s
I wouldn't go on anyone's opinion other than your own for reapplication. I think if I was in that situation, whether or not I reapplied would probably depend on how well I think I did at A level overall (mostly UMS based). e.g. Come August, if I had 90+ and a fair few A*s, I think I almost definitely would. But come August, if my results were a little underwhelming I'd probably go with Edinborough (which is an excellent university, it's just not Cambridge).

Yeah, King's and Homerton (and a few others like Trinity) are breath-taking to say the least. I think I'm also more interested in the more impressive/ beautiful Colleges more than anything.

I don't acknowledge the existence of that film lol. I also loved and hated the last book, it was incredible but felt sporadic and incomplete. But the series is something I'm definitely going to re-read over Summer, along with a few other books :smile:

Yeah, I've set a personal cut-off of 3A*s to reapply, but I'd preferably go back with 4, but I only need to just get an A in C4 and F325 Chem, and I'll have 2 in the bag. Physics I'd obviously want to be A* due to being a physics applicant! ^_^

I'm such a sucker for the architecture.. :P

It was quite some tome as well, but I eagerly demolished it in a day, I'd been waiting so long for the ending! Although towards the end, I kind of didn't want it to finish, but I get that with most books. It's like saying goodbye to a friend.

Hmm, I'm sure if you look into it you could probably learn more about avoiding physics (which is a concept I find so alien that I found it almost impossible to type :P ). Cambridge is definitely on the forefront of Biological research (with DNA etc) and because of that I'd feel almost obliged to take one of the Biology options.

Yes, I don't know why but I'm also weirdly biased towards Cambridge. Every piece of objective data seems to conclude that there's barely anything between the two. I actually have no explanation as to why, perhaps it's because I never fully learned the alphabet and found the OPQRSTU part really annoying, and Oxford starts with O... Or perhaps it's because Cambridge's prospectus has a better font... who knows :smile:

I think I'll be happy with the module's i've chosen to take. It's not really that I don't respect or fear physics, it's just that in my humble opinion, cell biology and chemistry are more interesting. My further reading and outside-of-lesson endeavours strongly point in a biology/chemistry direction too.

Glad to see so much Pembroke love here though. I'd be at the April open day were the distances not so far and the fact that I've already been to Cambridge on 2 previous open days. :s
Hello,

I wish to study law at Oxbridge.

I was wondering what you guys think about. A* (History), A(Lit), A (Spanish), A (Maths), A (DT), B (Geog), B (Science), B (Language), C (Science).

How much do you believe this will hinder me. I am predicted AAAA in English Lit, Hist, Geog and Politics.

In my Jan Modules I got 100 UMS for my politics exam.

Thanks

Luke
Original post by Luke Williams
Hello,

I was wondering what you guys think about. A* (History), A(Lit), A (Spanish), A (Maths), A (DT), B (Geog), B (Science), B (Language), C (Science).

How much do you believe this will hinder me. I am predicted AAAA in English Lit, Hist, Geog and Politics.

Thanks

Luke

I'm guessing those are GCSE grades, right? Well, assuming they are here is my personal opinion:

Your GCSE's aren't the best for a Cambridge Applicant. Your B and C in Science which is considered a core subject may damage your application. However, if the rest of your exams went anything like the Politics then I would definitely apply, as 100% UMS is no mean feat and will show that you've got into gear since GCSE. As a guideline, I would attempt to ensure you have at least 90+% in your three best subjects at all times. You have a good subject choice for the university as well.

However, I would also say that Law is (I think) one of the more competitive courses, so be prepared to be going up against a lot of applicants with very good applications - I would ensure you've started building up things outside of school to strengthen your application.
Original post by DJMayes
I'm guessing those are GCSE grades, right? Well, assuming they are here is my personal opinion:

Your GCSE's aren't the best for a Cambridge Applicant. Your B and C in Science which is considered a core subject may damage your application. However, if the rest of your exams went anything like the Politics then I would definitely apply, as 100% UMS is no mean feat and will show that you've got into gear since GCSE. As a guideline, I would attempt to ensure you have at least 90+% in your three best subjects at all times. You have a good subject choice for the university as well.

However, I would also say that Law is (I think) one of the more competitive courses, so be prepared to be going up against a lot of applicants with very good applications - I would ensure you've started building up things outside of school to strengthen your application.

Why thanks. I know my GCSE's are not the best. I will state in my personal statement, that i have got my rear into gear and actually started working. Thankfully, I have enlisted in several EC activities which bolster my chances. Mock Trial, MUN, Debating, Public Speaking, Volunteering, Senior leadership within school, Gold DofE and EPQ.

Do you thnk I would stand a good chance, if I achieved 90% + in all 4 of my subjects. With a strong LSAT and Interview. I am praying that they bi-pass my GCSE's.
Why thanks. I know my GCSE's are not the best. I will state in my personal statement, that i have got my rear into gear and actually started working. Thankfully, I have enlisted in several EC activities which bolster my chances. Mock Trial, MUN, Debating, Public Speaking, Volunteering, Senior leadership within school, Gold DofE and EPQ.

Do you thnk I would stand a good chance, if I achieved 90% + in all 4 of my subjects. With a strong LSAT and Interview. I am praying that they bi-pass my GCSE's.

Yes, Cambridge explicitly state on their website that they believe A Level UMS scores to be a better indicator of success at degree level than GCSE, and a strong set of AS results easily makes up for less than stellar performance at GCSE. If your AS results continue to follow their current trend it would be silly not to apply.
Original post by DJMayes
Yes, Cambridge explicitly state on their website that they believe A Level UMS scores to be a better indicator of success at degree level than GCSE, and a strong set of AS results easily makes up for less than stellar performance at GCSE. If your AS results continue to follow their current trend it would be silly not to apply.

Thank you. You have been most helpful. Would you advise an open application, if i was to achieve such results... or specifically go for one. Considering, i really want to go to Homerton.
Reply 195
Hello,

Thanks

Luke

Congratulations on the 100% on the politics exam- no mean feat! I reckon you'll still stand a good chance at getting a Cambridge interview if you get the AS grades you're predicted.
Just so you know Cambridge don't use the LNAT, they use the Cambridge Law Test
(and for some colleges they use their own version) but you don't have to sit that untill interview day. :smile:
Thank you. You have been most helpful. Would you advise an open application, if i was to achieve such results... or specifically go for one. Considering, i really want to go to Homerton.

If you have a specific college in mind then put it down on the application. Cambridge have a pooling system whereby college specific applications aren't disadvantaged in comparison to open ones; if you want to go to Homerton then put it down.
Reply 197
I'll introduce myself.

I'm Oli, a prospective medical student - taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics (and the EPQ).

In terms of colleges, i'm not sure as I've never visited Cambridge before. However, I like the look of Emma, Caius and Pembroke.

I recently did an essay for the Peterhouse Kelvin Science Prize, did anyone else enter? :smile:
Reply 198
Hi :smile: prospective 2013 applicant for medicine too!! For me its between Emma and Christ's.. Just can't decide which one!! Any opinions? Feels weird that we'll be applying in a couple of months...
Reply 199
Original post by oli_G
I'll introduce myself.

I'm Oli, a prospective medical student - taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics (and the EPQ).

In terms of colleges, i'm not sure as I've never visited Cambridge before. However, I like the look of Emma, Caius and Pembroke.

I recently did an essay for the Peterhouse Kelvin Science Prize, did anyone else enter? :smile:

Hi! I'm also a Cambridge Medic hopeful :smile: I'm pretty set on Trinity Hall, but I'm gonna have a look around to be sure :P I also entered the Kelvin Science Prize, did the question about philosophy of science. Did you get an email today from them telling us to expect the announcements in late May? In all fairness I am not expecting to win, but I'm glad I got the experience of writing the essay :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending